Retrofitting Cruise Control

Yep, that's the same reason the Dealership in Newcastle gave me when I enquired. It would appear that the retrofit isn't officially supported by Skoda UK on cars with a MFSW, even though it been proven many times that it can be done. 

1 hour ago, Dave77 said:

Just been to my local dealer in Leeds. They say CC can't be retro-fitted to my 2014 VRS as it has a MFSW, seems like other people on this thread disagree.

My 2015 1.4TSI Elegance has ACC and MFSW, I think you need to ask another dealer...

On 16/10/2017 at 14:57, SWBoy said:

My 2015 1.4TSI Elegance has ACC and MFSW, I think you need to ask another dealer...

Unfortunately they're all the same dealership around these parts, DM Keith, so i'll probably get the same answer.

4 hours ago, Dave77 said:

Unfortunately they're all the same dealership around these parts, DM Keith, so i'll probably get the same answer.

Try phoning/emailing a dealer not in the DM Keith group?

46 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Try phoning/emailing a dealer not in the DM Keith group?

Looks like nearest non DM Keith is Hayselden in Doncaster, will call tomorrow. Has anyone tried them?

Edited by Dave77

On 31/03/2017 at 22:15, StephenVRS said:

Just had my 2014 Vrs over a month, before I picked it up I had the dealer retro-fit CC. The right hand stalk has the non-functioning  trip computer button at the end, not an issue for me as I have MFSW. I had CC in the Mk2 Elegance I had prior to the VRS so did not want to not have it.

On 16/10/2017 at 13:06, Dave77 said:

Just been to my local dealer in Leeds. They say CC can't be retro-fitted to my 2014 VRS as it has a MFSW, seems like other people on this thread disagree.

@Dave77 I have a March 2014 VRS TSi so petrol, and it has MFSW and as I posted earlier (see above) I got CC retro fitted.
I see your car is  TDi so that may make a difference?

Hope that helps

9 minutes ago, StephenVRS said:

@Dave77 I have a March 2014 VRS TSi so petrol, and it has MFSW and as I posted earlier (see above) I got CC retro fitted.

Hope that helps

It being a diesel isn't the problem,I got the same reply when enquiring about getting it retrofitted to my 2013 TSI VRS.

The problem as far as I can tell is a case of computer says no (or in this case Skoda UK) 

Cruise (as far as I can recall) wasn't available on the early mk3 VRS from the factory. The retrofit kits that Skoda sell aren't intended for the VRS models so when the dealers double check with Skoda UK which is the correct kit, SUK come back with "neither" 

Yes, as proven on here, they work, but I can only imagine that Skoda haven't officially tested the retrofit kits with cars with the combination of on board computer and MFSW, therefore would't officially state it's compatible. 

So yes it does work, but if the dealer you approach hasn't personally carried out the retrofit and ask Skoda UK which kit to fit, the the answer will be "sorry it can't be done/we can't do it" 

As frustrating as it is, I can understand the dealers stance. Image: customer asks you to retrofit cruise so you ask Skoda UK for confirmation on which of the 2 retrofit kits you fit. SUK come back and say neither are supported. Customer then says nah, ignore them it does, plenty people on the tinterweb say so. So dealer fits it and all seems OK, customer is happy. Then a fault occurs with the cruise and you have a bad crash. Investigators check who fitted the officially unsupported cruise control.....

Obviously this is extremely unlikely and absolute worst case scenario but not all dealers will be prepared to take the risk. 

The part numbes for the retrofit stalks that Skoda sell and people on here have had fitted are 3T0054690A and 3T0054690A, but according to the following they aren't suitable for cars with MFSW: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.volkswagenbutikken.no/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/SorensoDocuments/Cruise_control_overview_2_2013_pdf.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjvpZb2rP3WAhXJrRoKHeT6AZoQFghSMAo&usg=AOvVaw3jpK7UGdkTju7jCMpI11v_ 

Well I have had fun!

derby - couldn’t even be bothered to call me back, but Bristol Street motors so say no more! Had bad experience at their Seat dealership, and the VW nottingham one (vertu - same group) sold me a car that had been in a crash!

Nottingham skoda said no can’t be done

Rainsworth was £299 fitted inc vat give or take a quid,

Chesterfield was the same again give or take a quid

as was Coventry,

So looks like I know what I’ll be doing next month! As for that much may as well just let them fit it and code it as I bet the kit is a good £100+ (Not called TPS yet to find out as no point if it’s doubtful I can do the activation via VCDS).

2 hours ago, dale1uk said:

It being a diesel isn't the problem,I got the same reply when enquiring about getting it retrofitted to my 2013 TSI VRS.

The problem as far as I can tell is a case of computer says no (or in this case Skoda UK) 

Cruise (as far as I can recall) wasn't available on the early mk3 VRS from the factory. The retrofit kits that Skoda sell aren't intended for the VRS models so when the dealers double check with Skoda UK which is the correct kit, SUK come back with "neither" 

Yes, as proven on here, they work, but I can only imagine that Skoda haven't officially tested the retrofit kits with cars with the combination of on board computer and MFSW, therefore would't officially state it's compatible. 

So yes it does work, but if the dealer you approach hasn't personally carried out the retrofit and ask Skoda UK which kit to fit, the the answer will be "sorry it can't be done/we can't do it" 

As frustrating as it is, I can understand the dealers stance. Image: customer asks you to retrofit cruise so you ask Skoda UK for confirmation on which of the 2 retrofit kits you fit. SUK come back and say neither are supported. Customer then says nah, ignore them it does, plenty people on the tinterweb say so. So dealer fits it and all seems OK, customer is happy. Then a fault occurs with the cruise and you have a bad crash. Investigators check who fitted the officially unsupported cruise control.....

Obviously this is extremely unlikely and absolute worst case scenario but not all dealers will be prepared to take the risk. 

The part numbes for the retrofit stalks that Skoda sell and people on here have had fitted are 3T0054690A and 3T0054690A, but according to the following they aren't suitable for cars with MFSW: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.volkswagenbutikken.no/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/SorensoDocuments/Cruise_control_overview_2_2013_pdf.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjvpZb2rP3WAhXJrRoKHeT6AZoQFghSMAo&usg=AOvVaw3jpK7UGdkTju7jCMpI11v_ 

45 minutes ago, dale1uk said:

Quick question for those who have had it done at a dealership, or found a dealer who will do it. Who have you approached at the dealership when you enquire? Service or parts desk? 

I asked service as thas normally who would book at car in, however they always put me through to parts, so tbh go to parts

On 16/10/2017 at 13:06, Dave77 said:

13 hours ago, StephenVRS said:

Hope that helps

As per previous posts I posted in this thread, I had CC retro fitted, I have a late (63) plate vRS petrol with MFSW & CC was fitted with no probs, I think as others have stated, try another dealer, Rainworth Skoda seem to know what they are doing, maybe try them!

http://www.rainworthskoda.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2017 at 09:09, BATVANVRS said:

As per previous posts I posted in this thread, I had CC retro fitted, I have a late (63) plate vRS petrol with MFSW & CC was fitted with no probs, I think as others have stated, try another dealer, Rainworth Skoda seem to know what they are doing, maybe try them!

http://www.rainworthskoda.co.uk/

Could you confirm what part number they used? Ive got a MFSW on my 13 Vrs.

I’ve rang my local Skoda dealer and they say it depends if I have a certain switch behind the wheel. “Costal” switches I think.

they said it can be done!

Cheers 

I haven't thought it was possible to retro fit CC, but thanks for this post I am now thinking of fitting it if possible on mine. I will check with my local dealers soon but before that does any one know if a manual 2.0 TDI can have CC retrofitted or can it be only on DSG?

I had cc retro fitted to my 1.6tdi 2015 by Arnold Clark Skoda dealer for just under £200. No mfsw, just a plain old SE with standard steering wheel. Work comprised replacing indicator/ wiper stalks and software update. Very happy with system as I had it on my previous car (Volvo V50) and missed it on my Octavia. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gibo911 said:

Could you confirm what part number they used? Ive got a MFSW on my 13 Vrs.

I’ve rang my local Skoda dealer and they say it depends if I have a certain switch behind the wheel. “Costal” switches I think.

they said it can be done!

Cheers 

Yeah I'll find out on the CC box I have but wont be until the weekend ;)

17 hours ago, Ianmary321 said:

I had cc retro fitted to my 1.6tdi 2015 by Arnold Clark Skoda dealer for just under £200. No mfsw, just a plain old SE with standard steering wheel. Work comprised replacing indicator/ wiper stalks and software update. Very happy with system as I had it on my previous car (Volvo V50) and missed it on my Octavia. Forgot to mention no dsg, just manual. 

The part numbers have changed, as have the Etka descriptions. I will try and get the proper number again but they now end A and B, A is now listed as NO multifunction computer OR cars fitted with MFSW.

im waiting for the dealer to call me back and book me in, hopefully have the cruise in a few weeks.

Just as an update

After checking with one of the main dealers near me, I was quoted £400 for software update and £200 for parts+fitting once they inspect the car and make sure it can be fitted. It seemed a bit too steep from what was mentioned above. 1 other dealer said they cant do it.

I checked with another skoda authorised repairer and they quoted a total of around £300 including a £14 charge from skoda for enabling the software. They said their system said my car can be upgraded but they will need to have a look at the car before they order the parts. So planning to take the car for the inspection with these guys. 

Thanks. Managed to fit CC on my 2.0 tdi manual yesterday and it was nice to drive using that :-). I was charged £350 with parts/license for £170. They apparently took more than 3 hours for coding as it was the first time they were doing this job but charged me for under 2 hours only. 

• Like 1

Mines up at Rainsworth Skoda at the moment having it done, £296 plus a free courtesy car which I thought was jolly good of them. Also service was brilliant so far, one of the service team had seen me park up and met me at the door, knew my name, what they was doing etc, and showed me to the service dept where I was sorted out, it’s a little touch but made it seem like I was valued, also got a Rapid as my courtesy car which is pretty good, little petrol one but goes well.

• Like 2