Citigo satnav - how good is it?

evoke

It's as good as a mid range satnav from Garmin, who make it now.

We have the Navteq version and it works well.

Auto rerouting, traffic etc and easy to use.

Maps are updateable from your PC via the Freshmaps software.

There was an issue with using a mac but I think they've been sorted now..

The bonus for me is the Bluetooth music streaming and hands free phone capability.

It's my daughters car and you know what the younger generation are like with phones glued to the ear 24/7.

• Like 1

I've got the Navigon version, in my opinion compared to TomTom and Android it is not very user friendly or intuitive to use. yes it works and is updateable.

• Like 1

Mines a navigon, and im loving it. Bought a years updates for £20ish, and I prefer the navigation to my tomtom unit. Yes its different and takes a while to get used to but theintructions I find are clearer and more frequent to avoid being told a bit too late.

It works out of the car (ie in other cars) as a handheld unit as well, rather than glued to the car.

I also like the extra features like sd card music, bluetooth music and bluetooth phone calls and voice commands.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it gets you there but eventually. Tends to take me miles out and round the houses as opposed to direct. I've been testing it around Dorset which I know very well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

My old Garmin used to offer several routeing options. Things like 'ignore M-ways', shortest distance, fastest route etc. You could also 'import' a route created earlier on a PC.

Are these sorts of choices available on the PID gps?

Mine has been pretty good, never took me on any unnecessary detours. The only gripe I find with it, it's sort of slow at giving you the voice commands sometimes. I was in Nottingham some time ago and it was actually good at finding my way through but some junctions/lights etc I would actually be right on them before it tells you which way, so sometimes ending up in the wrong lane. I now look more in advance at the screen as the info is well laid out on that, but you still have to be aware as sometimes the on screen info has to play catch up.

• 7 months later...

My old Garmin used to offer several routeing options. Things like 'ignore M-ways', shortest distance, fastest route etc. You could also 'import' a route created earlier on a PC.

Are these sorts of choices available on the PID gps?

Resurrecting this thread to re-ask this question. I really like the features of the PID on my Citigo, but I've noticed it takes me some round-about ways of getting to a destination.

My Garmin satnav had options to either choose shortest distance or fastest route. It seems like the PID is down for 'shortest distance' which often takes you around minor roads and housing estates rather than main roads etc. I've looked through menus to find this, and also did a search of the manual.

Is it just not capable of switching route options?

Resurrecting this thread to re-ask this question. I really like the features of the PID on my Citigo, but I've noticed it takes me some round-about ways of getting to a destination.

My Garmin satnav had options to either choose shortest distance or fastest route. It seems like the PID is down for 'shortest distance' which often takes you around minor roads and housing estates rather than main roads etc. I've looked through menus to find this, and also did a search of the manual.

Is it just not capable of switching route options?

Well, every time I've added a destination so far the PID (Garmin) has offered three routes and you have to be PDQ to select the one you want before it assumes you want the first.  They seem to be fastest, shortest and ANO (non-M-way?) and I'm sure I did see the options available on a menu.

Edited by youngbaz

I found it the worse sat-nav I've ever used.

Addmittedly this was a 2012 car, but the touchscreen wasn't that sensitive and the user interface wasn't very intuitive.

• Like 1

I am about to put my PID which I bought in 2012 for my Up and put it in my newish Citigo but for the live in me I cannot remember the password I used I think I will have problems.  

Worrying too soon recognised it was in a Skoda and not a VW so put the appropriate logo on everything else works as normal,its a later Garmin unit as opposed to a Navigon unit whether that makes any difference I wouldn't no.

I'm happy with my Garmin unit, I usually look at the options before a journey and go "oo that's the quickest option lets go for that" I let the satnav take me where it wants and I've had no issues at all, it got me to the Skodafest on Sunday in 3 hours and (I think) it auto diverted me from the M1/M40 (because of traffic perhaps?) I allow time for traffic anyway and a detour isn't so bad if you allow for it, I don't mind doing an extra few miles if I needed too

I use my TomTom Go 1005 and only use the Navigon PID as a big rev counter and outside temperature gauge.  It's handy when reversing using the sensors/grapics/beeps plus it shows if any of the doors are open.  I tried the SatNav function once or twice but never liked the look of it compared to TomTom.  I bought a 32GB SD card and put loads of tunes on it but I've never heard a cheep from it because I obviously have the wrong type of files on it! :'(

Edited by JimmyR

I think it´s very good. I used mine for the first time last week on a small trip to Germany, to pick up some spareparts (much cheaper than in DK). I entered the adress, and it came up with 3 suggestions (including traffic reports, since there was a major road work going on on two of the suggestions). When I crossed the border, it popped up and said "Welcome to Germany. Local speedlimits are blah blah blah, rules for alcohol, children in the car etc etc etc. That´s  a nice feature! The suggested time was correct, the graphic was nice - so very satisfied with it.

(Normally I´m used to a TomTom GO 750, Garmin Nüvi 1370 and a Skoda Amundsen+).

I've only had the car a week, but have used the sat nav fairly extensively for several hundred miles of driving to and from N Wales. I found it very competent, easy to use, and with some excellent added value such as warning you when you're low on fuel, and asking if you want it to find you a petrol station! Some good additional functionality too like setting a list of favourite places, plus fill postcode search.

I like it - not really sure what else I could possibly ask of it!