Difference between standard & colour maxidot

I have tried to find the difference between the standard maxidot display and the optional colour maxidot in many places but I do not have a definitive answer. I ordered an Octavia Estate vRS last month and as I've gone for black, with grey stitching on the leather seats etc. I thought I'd keep with the monochrome theme and pass on the colour option. Ever since that decision I've been concerned that I'm losing out on some function or another.

Can anyone put my mind at ease and tell me that a colour display is the only difference, and that both maxidots function in exactly the same way? In case you are wondering why I didn't ask the salesman, I did. I just don't trust his answer.

Thanks,

Graham

ps - my first post and my first Skoda (even though I've been secretly hankering over one for a while). So hello all :)

• Like 1

I think the colour maxidot is only worth it if you have the satnav as it sends images to it (?)

there are no different functions outwith that (afaik)

aesthetically it does look nicer though, but I didn't bother speccing it on mine.

• Like 1

Ah, now that could make a difference as I have ordered the Amundsen satnav.

Again, if it's just monochrome but the same info, then I'm happy. If I lose out on function/data however, then I might have to change things a bit.

Thanks

As far as I know they display the same info, it's just that the colour MaxiDot has the obvious benefit of being able to display certain things in colour, which may be useful for Lane Assist etc.

You can check the owner's manual for more info though - http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/05-2013/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

Pages 28 and 162 being the most helpful.

Rob

I have ordered the colour maxi-dot, purely because its cheap!  £80 for a colour screen!  Bargain!  However, someone did mention on here the difference between monochrome and colour maxidot was like a non-retina and a retina screen, how true that is I dont know and if that was referring to mk2 maxidot and mk3 maxidot I dont know, but for me I always order some of these cheap options as they are small variations on the basic model that just make the car slightly nicer in some ways, thats all.

But, having driven a mk3 vRS with monochrome maxidot I still thought that was very good and stylish, so a colour one would only be better in my view!

From what I've seen, only a few mins in an elegance compared to driving a standard VRs, the resolution seems the same and the data is the same but it swaps between screens like the menu on the main screen in a scroll like motion, it just switches on the monochrome.

• Like 1

I run an elegance, not seen the monochrome maxidot but apart from the fancy screen change graphics, which have a green border, but then the green colour disappears and its mainly all black and white. The bluetooth symbol is blue and some of the warning symbols are orange or red but not seen that much colour to shout about! Bit of a con in my opinion, it's not like a smart phone screen which is what I imagine many people may be expecting!

• Like 1

The colour maxidot is of a higher resolution and has smoother animation than the mono maxidot. Functionality wise, there's no difference. But for me at least £80 well spent, I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I have ordered the colour maxi-dot, purely because its cheap!  £80 for a colour screen!  Bargain!  However, someone did mention on here the difference between monochrome and colour maxidot was like a non-retina and a retina screen, how true that is I dont know and if that was referring to mk2 maxidot and mk3 maxidot I dont know, but for me I always order some of these cheap options as they are small variations on the basic model that just make the car slightly nicer in some ways, thats all.

But, having driven a mk3 vRS with monochrome maxidot I still thought that was very good and stylish, so a colour one would only be better in my view!

That was me and I was comparing the mkiii colour MD with the mkii B&W MD.  Ive been in a demo with the mkiii B&W but couldnt remember how different it was.

I got it for mine for the ACC as I'd seen it has different colours for the range and what youve set plus it was cheap :)

Thanks all - still unsure. I know it's "only" £80 but the b&w aesthetic appeals to me.

It seems like there is no functional difference, so that's reassuring.

Edited by gt40

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I forgot to order the colour version and went for the Amunsden.

I think the b/w looks fine as I have also gone for the black leather. It blends in well with the silver on the wheel plus grey stitching.

The directions are nice and clear but I can see the benefit of having the colour for this.

• 7 months later...

I'd been wondering the same thing as the OP as I'm considering placing an order for an Octavia Estate fairly soon. Sadly we have outgrown our much beloved Fabia Greenline 2.

I found this thread very useful but I wondered, has anyone with Park Assist got any comments about how clear this looks with either the standard or colour maxidot? Looking at the examples in that link a couple of posts up, I think one was of the PA it it looked much clearer on the colour, but that could just be a marketing job!

Went for the colour option on our SE without any of the fancy gadgets, as it appeared clearer and more in keeping with the graphics on the Infomat. Plus the cost seemed small to that of the car as a whole.

TP

I think below picture shows difference clearly enough.

It's nice touch when all numbers are white but the snow flake is blue (telling you is below 4 degree).

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5389/zju6.png

Yup… that's quite a difference!

Glad I ordered the colour (well, getting it with the Columbus anyway)… monochrome seems very 1990's.

Yup… that's quite a difference!

Glad I ordered the colour (well, getting it with the Columbus anyway)… monochrome seems very 1990's.

SInclair Spectrum on the top.

Commodore Amiga on the bottom.

As I started this, here's my view: I chose monochrome for a reason, that being aesthetics, and I'm happy with the result. I get that some may prefer colour and that it may be sharper but b&w is fine and nothing to fret about.

The £80 is neither here nor there, go with your preference.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk