Mobile Phone Contact Photos on Amundsen or Bolero

Guys, sorry to be a killjoy but you've wandered off topic a bit with talk of MP3 bit rates and sound quality, this thread was/is about contact photos showing on the Amundsen or Bolero head unit.... Just saying! :-P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It doesn't work on any iphone unfortunately.

I think someone mentioned the possibility of a firmware upgrade coming this month or next that would enable this for the iphone and stock Android.

I must say, I'm not overly impressed with how poor the iphone/iPod integration is on all VW products. I had a Toyota Yaris on hire whilst waiting for my Octy to arrive. I could plug directly in via USB (no special Mitsumi or cable required) and it displayed ALL album art/playlists etc. It even shared the phones internet connection for live traffic updates and POI search on the Nav.

• 2 weeks later...

With it not working on iPhone or stock Android, you've got to wonder what the hell VW group were thinking when they spec'd the head units. If the contact photo function doesn't work with over 90% of the mobile phone market, can it really be marketed as a feature? I'd argue probably not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its not VW group that decides wich bluetooth options phones has. The HTC ONE phone has lots of more features than other Android phones, and shows metadata, phone pics. and so on. So i dont think VW is to blame here.

Didn't know it could until I read this!  But I have an iphone so never mind, not a problem. Just annoying that it says Surname and Name so when I do a speech command it calls the Vets rather than the missus - perhaps its telling me something :giggle:

Didn't know it could until I read this! But I have an iphone so never mind, not a problem. Just annoying that it says Surname and Name so when I do a speech command it calls the Vets rather than the missus - perhaps its telling me something :giggle:

You can set it to forename - surname in the setting menu.

I've cracked it!  I flashed Cyanogenmod ROM onto my Nexus 4, then re-paired the phone with the car via Bluetooth.  Then I waited for the contact list to update with the car.  Next I deleted my pre-existing fast dials from the home screen of the Amundsen Phone screen, then re-selected them from the contacts list (which now has photos!)

All working a treat and now I have my GF, ex-wife & thursday night drinking buddies smiling up at me from the Amundsen display.

Looky, look!

IMG_20131013_184933.jpg

Thanks mate....Flashed my HTC Sensation XE with Cyanogenmod ROM 10.1 and reconnected my Phone with head unit and......Boom Contact Photos appear now......

• 2 months later...

Bit of thread resurrection; This kind of works with my HTC Trophy (soldiering on with Windows Phone 7.5) - The contacts that sync from work and have a dedicated contact picture in Outlook - Fine. Those that use their LinkedIn contact picture - fine. Those that use their Windows Live picture, fine. Those that use their Facebook Picture as the contact picture - no dice.

E.g. one of my contacts is linked together as one contact from the phone but taking data from his Windows Live account, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. Using the phone shows his Facebook picture as the contact picture, The Bolero though has pulled through his Windows Live picture when looking at the Contacts List on the screen.

Any thoughts as to how this might be fixed? Not too worried as at 3 years old this phone surely won't be with me that much longer!!

Niall

Bolero works fine with my galaxy note 2 and also reads texts and caller info out loud if phone is set to car mode. Anyone with a recent build able to tell me their firmware version on the bolero at all?

OK, looking at this a bit further (scrolling through the contacts list) some FB pics have come through but not all. No reason or rhyme as to whether they're multiple number contacts or single contacts, one end of the alphabet or the other, just some have pics and most don't. Very odd.

Tried deleting the phone and repairing, no change despite it reloading the 403 contacts.

Time to lean on work for a new phone........ :giggle:

Niall

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason, only photo to not show is my partners. She hasn't noticed this yet, have tried re-merging pics etc.. but to no avail. Will change which photo it uses I guess, see if this fixes it!

• Like 1

Any update for anyone with an iphone? Anyone got it working at all? Using iphone 5 with latest software and no photos showing.

Unfortunately this seems to be a none starter :(

I think someone mentioned the possibility of a firmware upgrade coming this month or next that would enable this for the iphone and stock Android.

Based on the answers in another thread, a firmware update will mean a trip to ask the dealer nicely to do it for you.

The downloadable map updates only contain the maps (from NavTeq) and don't update any of the functionality of the infotainment unit.

Having a quick google about this, it seems its not a problem only for VW, (there are lots of discussions on Bimmerfest with the same issue).

Therefore, I would assume its due to the iOS and pure Android not supporting the correct protocols to transfer pictures/photos.

I'll take a more detailed look on the XDA website for solutions for Nexus 4/5 when I get home tonight.

But I would also assume that a firmware update for the bolero/columbus wont fix this.