So I have made a small change which seems to have toned down the sub-sonic boom I sometimes get from the rear when the back wheels hit certain surfaces and bumps - it is still there but not as piercing and I am hoping the dynamat will resolve further:

All I did was adjust the boot stoppers to their minimum...

I have an estate with the power boot, which on examination appears to be self adjusting to a point, as it tightens after the initial close. I fiddled with the boot stops (which were extended a few "clicks" but also seemed to be slightly mismatched!) and extended them further which stressed the closing more, open with a far more audible "clunk" and actually seemed to make the boom worse.

Now I have moved them to their minimum, the boot still seems to seal tightly with no movement, doesn't seem to be stressed on release the catch and for me has certainly made a difference in the noise.

Edited by Item

@item, good to hear that you have made some progress on the problems you're experiencing.

I'd hazard a guess and say the 'mis-match' in stopper adjustment was the main cause, but really who knows?

There are some underlying (acoustic related) flaws in the Octavia (MQB related?) design that are revealed by 'third party' issues, of which there are a seemingly quite a few.

I experience a somewhat unusual phenomenon in mine, due to the 'door slamming' gene that runs down through my faster-in-law, wife and daughter.

I have given up on ineffective verbal reminders and now either make sure I leave my door open or crack a window to save my eardrums when they get in.

What I  have noticed though is that while the first pressure wave is reduced there is a definite diminishing pressure echo that lasts for 4 or 5 cycles that I have never been aware of on any of our other cars. Not a problem, just odd.

Is it just me or have others noticed it?

• Like 1

My first post - tell me if this all sounds horribly familiar:

Symptom

I get the pressure pulse/pressure buffeting/boom typically at lower speeds on city streets with each suspension "hit"; multiple bumps and washboard style repeated bumps create a really fabulous buffeting sensation that feel like someone is clapping their hands over your ears.  It is both "felt" as well as heard with the bonus being headaches, etc.

It is aggravating enough that I want to consider getting rid of the car, but the financial hit won;t be pleasant...and its annoying to even have to consider it.

Some folks report they can't hear/feel it, but it is ridiculously bothersome to the rest of us.  If you have hearing/ear issues in particular it is REALLY bothersome.

Some demographics

1.  My car has the firmer suspension option

2.  The hatch is big and appears somewhat mis-aligned

3.  The car had the larger rims with lower profile tire option.

4.  I have the power hatch

Triage Items Attempted

1. Hatch Stops - Adjusted hatch adjusters/stops until I am blue in the face

2. Dealer Hatch Adjustment - Dealer tried to adjust hatch / striker / latch and hatch alignment.  This seemed to offer some success at first, but it "wore off"  or it was just a placebo and never really helped to begin with.

3.  Weatherstripping/gasket - I actually bought some aftermarket weatherstrip and taped it on top of the factory weatherstripping (gasket/seal whatever you want to call it) to try to create a thicker gasket - possibly slight improvement, but nothing material.  The factory weatherstripping appears to barely contact the hatch when shut (note: I applied a thin layer of grease all around it, shut it and re-opened it to observe the witness marks).

4.  Tape the Hatch - I actually taped the hatch shut with blue painters tape all the way around the outside of the hatch.  To preserve my dignity, I did this at night so I wouldn't have to drive my nice car around in the daytime with all this tape on it.  I need to do this test again (it has been a few weeks), BUT I noted at the time that this seemed to make a noticeable difference suggesting the hatch really was the culprit in some way, shape or form.

5.  Hatch vibration observed - I had my wife drive the car while I tried to push on the hatch - no real difference (not any real leverage for me though.  I swear as we went over one of the washboard strips I watched both the back parcel shelf and the hatch vibrate.  The hatch has the defroster lines and they practically blurred as the glass vibrated. I also made recordings  When you hear the buffeting (in real life) on the recording it sounds like static - essentially just like if you put you mouth on top of a mic and overwhelmed the mic.

6.  Softer suspension observation  - I had a loaner car with the softer base suspension (but still the larger wheels) and noticed the same buffeting, but it was less.  No doubt the softer dampers were simply transmitting less shock to the cabin.

7.  Wheel rim and tire swap - I have since switched to the base rims with the larger sidewalls and touring tires...no real difference in the boom/buffeting, but freeway ride is definitely quieter.

8.  Pillows a-go-go - Filled hatch area to the brim with pillows and blankets.  No improvement

So here's the kicker...I don't own a Skoda.  I am talking about my Tesla Model S.

I found this thread while looking for any information on boomy cabins and pressure buffeting and decided to join the forum just for this issue in hopes that I can learn from your travails and maybe you can learn from mine.  Feel free to Google "Tesla pressure buffeting".  You should also Google the issues GM (Chevy and GMC) had with their large SUVS - insane buffeting/boominess and dealer practically taking apart cars in an attempt to fix it (as with this thread, what "worked" for one person seemed to not work for another).  Finally, I even found a Porsche Caymen owner who put felt pads on his adjusters to address the issue.  Dealers from all makes are generally in denial about it all.

My guesses

If I had to guess at the sources of the issue at this point I would say it starts with suspension shock on impacts being transmitted to the body and in particular to the hatch area.  If the hatch is not PERFECTLY square on the gasket/seal/weatherstrip and well-supported then vibration is transmitted to it and it acts like a big speaker.  Better suspension isolation would help (i.e. perhaps there is little to no rubber between the strut tower and body), as would better shock tuning.  I also think better vibrations absorption would help.  However, I keep coming back to the hatch or at least the hatch area.  I already have a few good ideas from this thread that I intend to try like both tightening and loosening the hatch striker latch.  I do have one advantage - my 4 hatch stops are adjustable.  My bigger disadvantage is that my hatch is HUGE!

Anyway, I look forward to reading your comments and hope we can assist each other.

Edited by cabland
  • Like 3

^^^^ very interesting!

I had my hatch adjusted, fitted some silent coat anf now it only does it on things like the yellow rumble strips or rough road approaching crossings.

Someone above mentioned they thought it was the seats? Im sorry but thats not the case. Put the seats down it wont make a difference Im afraid.

The tesla guy above is probably closer in the buffeting being transferred from the shocks to the chassis to the cabin.

Ive got a spare in the boot too. Its not something that seems to bother me now!

@item, good to hear that you have made some progress on the problems you're experiencing.

I'd hazard a guess and say the 'mis-match' in stopper adjustment was the main cause, but really who knows?

There are some underlying (acoustic related) flaws in the Octavia (MQB related?) design that are revealed by 'third party' issues, of which there are a seemingly quite a few.

I experience a somewhat unusual phenomenon in mine, due to the 'door slamming' gene that runs down through my faster-in-law, wife and daughter.

I have given up on ineffective verbal reminders and now either make sure I leave my door open or crack a window to save my eardrums when they get in.

What I  have noticed though is that while the first pressure wave is reduced there is a definite diminishing pressure echo that lasts for 4 or 5 cycles that I have never been aware of on any of our other cars. Not a problem, just odd.

Is it just me or have others noticed it?

'door slamming' gene.............lol...........I love that, my wife has it also......

Read with interest since ownership of Octavia hatch 1.4 TSI SE - March 2015. Done coming up to 17k. Never had any boom or excessive cabin noise. Have got a full size spare wheel and an old blanket covering the boot mat (to keep it clean) just saying.

Love the car and the TSI engine.

Read with interest since ownership of Octavia hatch 1.4 TSI SE - March 2015. Done coming up to 17k. Never had any boom or excessive cabin noise. Have got a full size spare wheel and an old blanket covering the boot mat (to keep it clean) just saying.

Love the car and the TSI engine.

As long as I keep my tyres at the right pressure then I'm in total agreement with you.

It is important that a visitor coming to this site for info on the Octavia realises that the problems are not experienced by the vast majority of owners.

You have to feel for those that do though, it spoils what is an otherwise excellent car for them.

Edited by Gerrycan

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that since owning my vRS I hadn't noticed the boom until I started reading this post, when I first bought the car, I was running tyre pressures for light load and have recently upped them to the economy pressures. On recent runs I have noticed a slight increase in low frequency noise in the cabin if driving over rough roads surfaces or rumble strips, it is in no way uncomfortable on the ears but it is there, I will lower my tyres again to see if any difference is made. I have the tyre repair kit with lots of hollow spaces in the boot. I have read here that the noise lessens with the hatch left on the first latch, but then have also read that raising the blocks on the sideds of the boot has been beneficial. Surely this two thing ar in contrast to one another as one tightens the hatch and the other lossens it. I think leaving the hatch partly open just alters the accoustics making the hoise less noticeable. The Brigestone potenza OEM fit are not the quietest tyres either, so when these are worn I will be going for Sava intensa UHP's which were very quiet on my Previous Gsi Vectra. I feel it is in the vibrations from the shocks tranferring to the boot space as said by a few and tyres at 67db rather than 72db should improve things. As db is a logarithmic scale it means that 70 db is 10 times louder than 60db so a decrease of 5db, 72 - 67 should make a difference.

Interestingly, I had raised the boot stops to really secure the boot but the cabin over pressured and made the boom really noticeable and my ears really uncomfortable. I put the stoppers on lowest setting and now only notice anything when going over really bad rumble strips or surfaces, and the ear pressure has gone. I'm finally really enjoying the car now. Putting in boot well soundproofing and spare tyre did really make a big difference in reducing suspension vibrations into the boot. Like you the final step is the tyres. The potenzas are 72 db and I'm changing shortly to goodyear asymetric 3 which is 5 db less.

Edited by ima
  • Like 1

I have to say that since owning my vRS I hadn't noticed the boom until I started reading this post, when I first bought the car, I was running tyre pressures for light load and have recently upped them to the economy pressures. On recent runs I have noticed a slight increase in low frequency noise in the cabin if driving over rough roads surfaces or rumble strips, it is in no way uncomfortable on the ears but it is there, I will lower my tyres again to see if any difference is made. I have the tyre repair kit with lots of hollow spaces in the boot. I have read here that the noise lessens with the hatch left on the first latch, but then have also read that raising the blocks on the sideds of the boot has been beneficial. Surely this two thing ar in contrast to one another as one tightens the hatch and the other lossens it. I think leaving the hatch partly open just alters the accoustics making the hoise less noticeable. The Brigestone potenza OEM fit are not the quietest tyres either, so when these are worn I will be going for Sava intensa UHP's which were very quiet on my Previous Gsi Vectra. I feel it is in the vibrations from the shocks tranferring to the boot space as said by a few and tyres at 67db rather than 72db should improve things. As db is a logarithmic scale it means that 70 db is 10 times louder than 60db so a decrease of 5db, 72 - 67 should make a difference.

Early morning spelling on this one :D

I am of the opinion its multiple things, in the estate the ski hatch or middle part of the seat does resonate. Also i think its worce when the car is unloaded, with little fuel in the tank, this leads me to beleve the damping coefficient of the shocks could be the problem, as mine rides better with weight in the boot. However i can say for definate the shocks may be the primary issue but this undamped energy is transfered to the rear seat and the parcel blind flap that touches the seat. This causes the same noise. There could even be other acoustic problems, but what i explained above seems to be the main cause and effect.

Still no noise from our vRS.

Checked rear shocks over the weekend and they aren't the ones listed on etka.

My rear shocks are: 5Q0 512 011 HP.

I'm also having issues with the booming sound, it's really getting on my tits!!

I have however checked my rear shocks and they are: 5Q0 512 011 HN, so I have no idea if they're the issue. :-(

A few folk with spare wheel option fitted have said they don't get the boom.

Has this been bottomed out - can we say the spare wheel fixes it somehow? (And if so, how/why?)

This annoying issue is stopping me placing my order :(

I have a 64 plate vRS tdi hatch with a spare wheel fitted and I get the booming, it's driving me nuts!!

Edited by benjamino

Hi Andy.

Yes if you take everything out you still get the booming noise. However. It seems putting a wheel in there seems to suppress it.

Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Spare wheel fitted, booming still present! :-(

Hello

My name is Barnaby and I work for What Car? magazine in the UK. I currently drive an Octavia (Mk3) 2.0 TDI 150 SE hatchback, but have also driven the car with a 1.2-litre petrol engine and a 1.6 diesel. Sadly, I've noticed this low-frequency boom on all these Octavias, and the general consensus here in the What Car? office is that it's suspension noise.

I've also driven a vRS and a 4x4 Estate (these are the only Octavias with more sophisticated independent rear suspension than torsion beams) and they didn’t make this noise, so I'm sure the noise is the suspension working as the car drives along.

If any of you get a useful answer from your dealer, or if any of your cars have a mechanical problem that is subsequently fixed, please let me know. You can email me at [email protected].

Many thanks

Barnaby

Barnaby, It happens on my 64 plate vRS hatch... unfortunately!

That's great news. I'll now speak with my local dealer and see if they'll do the same. When I took my car in they just said all Octavia's do it and it's normal.

My VRS 230 hatch (demo 900 miles on the clock) exhibited the booming / pressure in the cabin on the pre-purchase test drive.

The dealer acknowledged the issue and gave me written confirmation they would take the car back and issue a full refund if they couldn't fix it, citing they had done so on an earlier sale months back.

I went ahead with the purchase (as I loved the car) and they did exactly as promised. Took a few weeks to get the relevant fix approved by Skoda, during which I resolved to definitely return the car if it persisted and for the parts to arrive but the fix did the trick right away.

In essence, they repaced 4 x fittings on the hatch (the top ones are now spring-loaded), plus they replaced the 'stricker bar' (I think they called it) .... I.E. the bar where the hatch Locks onto. The boot closes noticeably firmer now versus before. It took circa 40 mins.

Just to complicate matters (having read a lot of this thread) ...., I got a space-saver wheel and a double/sided boot mat installed at the same time as the warranty fix mentioned above..... which won't help those of you trying to isolate what impact those accessories might have on the booming / pressure.

The upshot is they said they would fix it and they did. So there is definitely a known fix for this issue..... not sure why it was so painless for me versus the experiences of so many others on here.

Credit where it's due .... so thanks to Alex and his colleagues at Progress in Letchworth

Loving the car ..... but I got my first ever speeding ticket in 33 years of driving within 24 hours of ownership.... what a great car. .

Will drop my local Škoda dealer an email to see if i can get this fix myself. Cheers.

That's great news. I'll now speak with my local dealer and see if they'll do the same. When I took my car in they just said all Octavia's do it and it's normal.

I got somthing on these lines, and they dident mention any possible fix. Mine is an 2015 sept estate and has this issue. Eather the dealer generaly has not heard of this or there playing dumb. Sorry sir we cant hear anything.

My VRS 230 hatch (demo 900 miles on the clock) exhibited the booming / pressure in the cabin on the pre-purchase test drive.

The dealer acknowledged the issue and gave me written confirmation they would take the car back and issue a full refund if they couldn't fix it, citing they had done so on an earlier sale months back.

I went ahead with the purchase (as I loved the car) and they did exactly as promised. Took a few weeks to get the relevant fix approved by Skoda, during which I resolved to definitely return the car if it persisted and for the parts to arrive but the fix did the trick right away.

In essence, they repaced 4 x fittings on the hatch (the top ones are now spring-loaded), plus they replaced the 'stricker bar' (I think they called it) .... I.E. the bar where the hatch Locks onto. The boot closes noticeably firmer now versus before. It took circa 40 mins.

Just to complicate matters (having read a lot of this thread) ...., I got a space-saver wheel and a double/sided boot mat installed at the same time as the warranty fix mentioned above..... which won't help those of you trying to isolate what impact those accessories might have on the booming / pressure.

The upshot is they said they would fix it and they did. So there is definitely a known fix for this issue..... not sure why it was so painless for me versus the experiences of so many others on here.

Credit where it's due .... so thanks to Alex and his colleagues at Progress in Letchworth

Loving the car ..... but I got my first ever speeding ticket in 33 years of driving within 24 hours of ownership.... what a great car. .

Can you do some photos of the fix?

• Like 1

I think it's likely to be an easy DIY job and I can't see the parts being expensive so well worth getting the parts and doing this anyway if dealer doesn't want to play ball under warranty