Police Helicopter crashed onto a Glasgow pub roof.

Ootohere

Looks like there are 14 seriously injured too. 3 of those that lost their lives were from the helicopter, they must have gone through an awful experience in the seconds before impact. I guess if there can be a positive in all this it is that there was no associated fire.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families and friends.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/528850-police-helicopter-crashes-onto-glasgow-pub-5.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Glasgow_helicopter_crash

Some on Prune were speculating that it was another gearbox failure (20% of helicopter crashes are down to this) due to the fact that the rotors weren't damaged, suggesting that they weren't rotating when it "Landed" . Consequently, no windmilling of rotors, which might have generated enough lift to make for a softer, flared landing, means you come straight down.

There were also reports of coughing sound coming from the engines prior to the crash.

And this Eurocopter has digital controls.

Balpa were voiceing concerns regarding current airline policy for utilisation of aircraft and helicopters, i.e. commercial pressures making airlines extend service intervals, reduce the quality of servicing and running aircraft and components beyond what used to be considered a  useable service life

Chinook gear box failure, Puma gearbox, now the EC 135 ( And its not the first).

Wonder if its about time for a radical re-think of helicopter transmission systems for the next generation  and run the rotors directly from an electric motor powered by constant RPM gas turbines - similar to today's frigates.

Possibly, its also time to consider, tightening up ATC of helicopters overflying cities.

What's happened recently doesn't fill me with a nice warm feeling given that we frequently have one or other of the MP helicopters hovering at night over this area either  dealing  with or detering crime.

These things happen but its very sad that so many should have got clobbered.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

I saw this on the news this morning and was shocked.

The thought of going out for a pint and that happening is unimaginable.

My shock turned to horror, this afternoon, when I was told that the brother in law of a very good friend was in that pub at the time!

Fortunately he and his two friends survived but with life threatening injuries.

In one way they were lucky but I suspect there is a long road ahead.

• Like 1