New Golf R

alex_e3

VAG and given Kerb (unladen) Weights which is about them submitting figures for EU Emission testing need taken with a large pinch of salt.

Take the new Aud1 S1 (A1) Sportback 5 door TFSI Quattro, 231 ps, the Kerb/unladen Weight is given as 1340kg,

(the 3 door as 1315 kg)

Well i would like to see one on a weigh bridge as at Kerb weight trim to see a true weight..

Then brim the tank and put a average size driver in and weigh what it might actually get driven at.

my Fabia vRS mk2 has a Skoda official Kerb Weight at 1243 kg.

Filled with petrol, Rear Skoda ballast weights removed, an extra 10 litre in a can, 2 spare wheels carried, tools trolley jack etc and my bulk in it is 1444 kg on a weigh bridge.

So you need to think what the likes of your 177 bhp is really having to pull up a hill

Maybe Stick a passenger or 2 in and then look at real life Power to Weight.

It the ownership demographic and likely number of claims.

My GT-R was £100 more than my tuned Fabia, despite having over double the power and being worth five times the price.

Without being too PC, the new Golf R isn't going to be ragged around by 20 year olds as much, that don't care so much if they bump into things.

And the fact that they come with ACC, which if active will prevent in town shunts and keep distance/stop on the motorway too. The car is much cheaper to insure than the MK5/6 Golf because of this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed a Demo Golf R for sale at Johnsons of Tamworth- with 2000 miles on the clock and with DSG for a more reasonable £34995 price tag.

Blue Met seems to be the popular colour for their Demo car a bit similar to the Race Blue for the Octavia MK3  

Had a 1.5hour drive of this beauty today.  My god it is good.  The exhaust in Race mode is something else, burbles and pops like a 6.3 merc.  The ride is surprisingly comfortable and much more refined than the Octavia.  Got 20mpg 'testing' the performance but I reset it and did a normal commute route and got 36mpg.  For 300bhp this is amazing.  Also weirdly for a R is that it has stop start which I wasn't expecting when i pulled up to the first set of lights.

As for being a Q car, i wouldn't go that far, its very loud in race mode and I was getting lots of admiring glances on my drive.

Very tempted by the lease deal but I really don't want to let my VRS go!

I'm 31 and can insure this for £265 vs the £330 for my VRS for nearly twice the BHP!

Here are some pics:

20140326_141417.jpg

20140326_141404.jpg

• Like 4

Had a 1.5hour drive of this beauty today.  My god it is good.  The exhaust in Race mode is something else, burbles and pops like a 6.3 merc.  The ride is surprisingly comfortable and much more refined than the Octavia.  Got 20mpg 'testing' the performance but I reset it and did a normal commute route and got 36mpg.  For 300bhp this is amazing.  Also weirdly for a R is that it has stop start which I wasn't expecting when i pulled up to the first set of lights.

As for being a Q car, i wouldn't go that far, its very loud in race mode and I was getting lots of admiring glances on my drive.

I'm 31 and can insure this for £265 vs the £330 for my VRS for nearly twice the BHP!

Here are some pics:

20140326_141417.jpg

20140326_141404.jpg

Exactly what mine will look like :)

The mega deals have all gone now so instead of £251 inc VAT and maintenance they are £370.

Some lucky people have had a great deal for the net 2 years motoring (was a 2 year deal for the low prices)

Had a 1.5hour drive of this beauty today. My god it is good. The exhaust in Race mode is something else, burbles and pops like a 6.3 merc. The ride is surprisingly comfortable and much more refined than the Octavia. Got 20mpg 'testing' the performance but I reset it and did a normal commute route and got 36mpg. For 300bhp this is amazing. Also weirdly for a R is that it has stop start which I wasn't expecting when i pulled up to the first set of lights.

Here are some pics:

20140326_141417.jpg

20140326_141404.jpg

But it is literally a dull golf with wheels and extra pipes. It's not even as if the basic Golf is an aesthetically pleasing car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it is literally a dull golf with wheels and extra pipes. It's not even as if the basic Golf is an aesthetically pleasing car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.............and AWD, 300bhp, superb chasis & very good handling and rammed full of tech.

Yep just a dull Golf. ;)

• Like 1

Burbles and pops like a 6.2 AMG? What a joke. No it doesn't. Yes it pops but like an AMG . . . no.

Yes the exhaust is good for a 4 pot but its no V8. I had a few drives of the C63 before I bought my RS 5 and it is another league exhaust wise. My RS 5 had a custom exhaust and sounded epic and still I think the AMG just pipped it.

Burbles and pops like a 6.2 AMG? What a joke. No it doesn't. Yes it pops but like an AMG . . . no.

Yes the exhaust is good for a 4 pot but its no V8. I had a few drives of the C63 before I bought my RS 5 and it is another league exhaust wise. My RS 5 had a custom exhaust and sounded epic and still I think the AMG just pipped it.

Lucky you.

Wasn't trying to be rude by the way even though that definitely came across rude.

I love my S3 and it does sound good for a 4 pot, just can't compare it to one of the best sounding pieces of kit out there.

It's the only car I've heard that I can compare the sound to. Obviously it's never going to sound as good as any v6, 8, 10 or 12 but for a 4 it's amazing.

Do you have the new s3 with race mode and the induction amplified exhaust?

Yep got the new S3. Had it on an S4 and S5 as well (3.0T versions). I believe on the S4 and S5 I believe it had the sound pumped in. Sounded good but you always knew it was fake. On the V8s its just pure muscle. I love it.

Been in one of these today in the UK and liked it very much even on 19's,

It was a nicer place to be than the Golf R IMO.

That may be right George but at a price - circa £10k more I would expect something extra for my bucks!

Enjoy the Golf R experience!

I also drove one of these the same day as the S3 when I was choosing which to buy. I felt really numb after driving it and kept the extra few quid in my pocket. I just didn't feel as quick as I was expecting.

Golf R all day long over the 45 AMG.

The AMG felt cheap in some areas compared to the Audi and what is with that stuck on iPad?!

Edited by Nicky boy