A friend has a new job, somethings are not adding up

I'll try and keep this short as possible. Background, a mates girlfriend has been working in a local restaurant behind the bar. A woman turns up a few weeks back, started chatting to her and another couple of staff members about how she was looking for staff for her company, a business solutions company, whatever that is (I'll not say the name just yet) So, she offered the girl and 2 other staff members jobs as "junior consultants" £28,000 a year, company car etc etc. She said she was opening new offices local and she was in the middle of sorting everything out. 

The girl and the other two staff members have left their jobs and started this new one this week, me and a mate (her fella) are rather suspicious of it all. A few initial concerns were;

Supposedly large company with no website

Employing totally unqualified staff from bars offering huge wages (not my area but the mrs says a position the same level would normally offer £19000 for a uni leaver) 

Contract of employment was 1 page and very basic

So, my mate said to her go with her gut instinct and do as she wishes. She wasn't leaving an amazing job so it's not the end of the world if it all goes tits up. She started this week, monday, the first day she and the 2 other newbies went to London to meet a "client", so a 2 hour trip only to arrive and find the client isnt there, apparently a mistake with appointments or something, they get lunch and return. The apparent offices that were due to be available from this week havent materialised and last night she got a email saying how they are all being put onto holiday for the next 2 weeks due to the offices that were due to be moved into were not available, the landlord of the offices has been arrested or something and they cant use them. I mean come one, it'd take a day to sort some temp offices somewhere rather than put them all on paid leave.

They are supposedly going to be working on the advertisement for the 50 shades of grey film, again seems a bit far fetched that a small company with no office or website would be doing that scale of work. She (the "boss) has no email address aside from a personal one, no business cards or anything. When they all went out for a drink after work one evening the woman has plenty of cash in her purse but someone clocked that the name on one of her cards wasnt her name. The woman in charge is on twitter and linkedin but then it takes 30 seconds to set up that kinda thing. 

From what I've heard I'm sure there is something not right, but at the same time I cant work out what they/she is gaining from this. There was talk of a trip abroad? 

I dunno if anyone else has ever heard of anything like this. It all seems very strange. 

Edited by matt1chelski

Something doesn't seem quite right there does it.  Equal parts of scepticism, common sense and considerable caution would I think be the order of the day, just in case there's something untoward going on.

Gaz.

Be very careful

There is alot of girls being "Sent" abroad to be met with a life of forced prostitution.

I had a similar approach from someone to my girlfriend (I wasn't around) but she was offered £24,000 and a trip abroad (Never said where). Girlfriend basically went for an interview (I went with) soon as we got there it was on an industrial estate few miles away in a tower block.

Only ONE guy was present called "Tom" (No last name present) who had a very weird vibe to him, he was surprised to see me and asked whom i was and i said "Her boyfriend" he tried to shake my hand but i refused and proceeded to say how "Sketchy" this all looks.

Needless to say this bloke got offended quickly, and  when i was asking questions about this "Trip Abroad" he asked me to leave so my girlfriend and him could "Conduct Business"..... I said we are leaving and my girlfriend agree'd something was out of place. I called the Police to come check out the place but heard nothing ever since.

God only know's what would of happened to my girlfriend if i wasn't present 

• Like 1

Be very careful

There is alot of girls being "Sent" abroad to be met with a life of forced prostitution.

Nothing wrong with that.  Without human sex trafficing we would still be stuck with the middled aged english druggy prostitutes rather than the beautiful eastern european girls readily available now for hire.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that. Without human sex trafficing we would still be stuck with the middled aged english druggy prostitutes rather than the beautiful eastern european girls readily available now for hire.

Lol ! Shoot that man so you only have sex with "English" druggies ?

Edited by seboni121

In 2007 I was dating a Kyrgyz woman who was lured out to Dubai with a fantastic job offer; she sent me a text saying she had arrived at the airport and then nothing. Initially she was being highly paid to meet and consult with people in various local cities, then after a couple of months she was asked to meet a client in Dubai. I managed to track her down after about 8 weeks, and finally managed to meet up with her in Dubai another 4 weeks later. She was being forced to work as a prostitute; her passport had been taken away and a fake "copy" supplied in case she was topped by the local police; she was under threat of being "reported" if she didnt co-operate. As a Muslim woman posing as a Christian to make life easier in an Arab country, she faced having her head lopped off if she didnt do what the gang boss told her to do. I suspect there are a LOT of women in Dubai in a similar situation, every bar is packed with Russian speaking women from the mostly Muslim 'stans.

She was too scared to take my offer of help and get her to the nearest Kyrgyzstan embassy/consulate as she was certain some of the embassy staff were in on the trafficking, so after 2 weeks I had to fly home empty handed. I never managed to get in contact with her again, and neither did her family (elderly mother and a young son left behind in Bishkek).

I wouldn't even wait until "it's too late", I would get her the eff out of there. Don't mean to sound a git but if she didn't think about all of this before hand then she's daft.

• Like 1

Check online as to the status of her company! Is it a real company? If so it'll be registered and you will be able to check the name on the owner on there.

Personally I would pull my missus right out of there!

Check online as to the status of her company! Is it a real company? If so it'll be registered and you will be able to check the name on the owner on there.

Personally I would pull my missus right out of there!

This! Use Duedil to look up the company name and the name(s) of the "boss".

Get them out now.

Joking aside, they have very little to gain and a whole lot to lose.

There are somethings you gamble with and some things you don't.

If you want to send (PM) me the company name I can check it now.

£28k for doing nothing?, seems like a dream job that's too good to be true, unless it's offset by the company car being a load of rubbish :), Seriously, something doesn't add up, be very suspicious.

SsangYong Rodius?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk