Standard suspension - the verdict

Well, after running JOM's for the best part of 2 years, I finally switched my suspension back to standard today. Took me 6 1/2 hours to get it done mind  :S

WOW!! What a difference! Without doubt I'd recommend anyone running coilies on daily to ditch them and get back to standard asap!!! The difference is night and day. The car now goes over bumps and potholes without knocking my teeth out and ducking and diving everywhere. Also, the lower the car got, the more it pulled to the left - despite being aligned spot on. The second it's gone back to standard and it's driving perfectly straight in all conditions :)

Admittedly it looks crap now due to the height, but what a difference in comfort and usability :)

That's the last time I ever do 2 things:

a ) Heavily lower a car. A mild lowering on a good setup is all that's required for a daily road car.

b ) Buy sh*te coilovers!!!

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I'm having mine put back on its virtually unused standard springs next Monday.

Sick of being jolted on every ripple and pot hole in the road.

Is there a market for the shorter ones I wonder, or should I just bin' em?

I like the look of lowered Fabia's but I also like the look of the standard suspension, gives it an attentive look. Like a small dog thats seen a ball and wants to go play.

• Like 2

Got false teeth, I would have to super-glue them in place if I stiffened the suspension etc..LOL

Thought the bog standard Fabia VRS was quite harsh over bumps, especially those speed ramp mountains in the road..

• Like 1

Don't think putting shorter springs stiffens things up so much, just means less travel and hitting the bump stops more regulary making it seem that way I suppose, yes?

I'll be able to take my Fabia onto rally special stages to do my marshaling again, without the constant worry of ripping the exhaust off.

Edited by Mr Ree

I like the look of lowered Fabia's but I also like the look of the standard suspension, gives it an attentive look. Like a small dog thats seen a ball and wants to go play.

I affectionately call mine, 'My Terrier'. :D

I hated the ride height of the standard suspension but wanted to go 'useably' low so i went for Eibach springs.  Better ride heigh, handles better and i still have all my own teeth so win win.

• Like 1

Don't think putting shorter springs stiffens things up so much, just means less travel and hitting the bump stops more regulary making it seem that way I suppose, yes?

No, Eibach 25mm springs are progressively wound so as the travel is used up they get stiffer, they're perfect for the car.

I'm fed up of my standard suspension on my Fabia vRS, the damping is not very well matched to the standard springs, it gets really unsettled on bumpy roads which there are a lot of in Lincolnshire.

For those in the know, is the standard set up on the mk1 Fabia vRS under damped?

I'm contemplating the bilstein B8 damper and Eibach spring combo to see the difference, has anyone in Lincolnshire got this set up on a Fabia??

Any thoughts appreciated.

I don't blame you! got a set of AP springs and shocks on order for myself.(can't beleive how good peoples comments are on them for such a cheap kit!)

currently on standard shocks and eibach springs and its horrible- I think the dampers are knackered though as the previous owner fitted the springs some time ago.

Edited by chris69

Their linear for the fabia.

Mine are progressively wound, but it's possible that the Eibach VRS front springs are not due to the considerable front-end weight difference between the cars.

Taking my JOMs off are on the list as is getting a box back in the exhaust!! Can't go back to standard springs though the arch gap would depress me and I'd need to buy a set of springs as I've only got my shocks. Seen apex springs for £80 new are they any good on these? Don't really want to pay £180 for eibach springs or £200+ for ap shocks and springs when it looks like I'm gunna have to pay £160 for the window motor and I keep thinking I may end up selling up