After effects of packing in the smokes

Mr Ree

Been off them for nearly 5 months now, and can honestly say I feel no better at all, in fact I've now possibly got some sort of sinus infection apparently, and it could (according to the quack) POSSIBLY be attributed to giving up the weed. :no:

Antibiotics prescribed, and if no better in 2 weeks, it's going to be yet anothert hossy visit for a camera up my snout, which I suppose is marginally better than one up my arse this time.  :devil:

Fedup.

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 1

It won't necessarily fix what's happened before, but it'll stop things getting worse! They say it takes 5 years to bring the risk of stroke/heart attack/cancer back to the same levels as the general population.

Stick at it!

• Like 2

Stick at it, think of all the money your saving. Work colleague stopped smoking 18 months ago, and he said that the first 6-12 months were the hardest. He is now down the local Gym every morning and never off sick. I've never smoked so have no concept of trying to give up.

Took 8 months before I felt any benefit. 

A year and a half in (where I am about up to now) I feel considerably better

and the Mrs tells me I have completely stopped snoring which I used to do

quite badly. Stick at it Ree.  

I packed up 3 years ago after smoking since I was 11 :(

Now very late 40's.

Never really seemed to notice any improvents but the wife and kids say I never cough and I have lost all the wheezy noises from my chest, so it must be doing something.

I took up eating and put on a couple of pounds but last 4 months packed up eating all the crap (crisps/buns/pasties) now restrict myself and the midriff area is reseeding :)

Stick at it your doing OK. Soon after packing up your body can get illnesses but it will pass.

A camera up your nose is better than a nail in your coffin!

I think the after effects vary a lot, and also depend a lot on how long and how much you smoke.

As a non smoker all my life I cannot really understand the addiction, but it DOES effect everyone differently - my brother was a heavy smoker for 25 years but gave up without any issues or side effects, my sister was a moderately heavy smoker for 30 years and had real issues, including a really nasty temper for most of the first year.

An ex work colleague who gave up a 100+ a day habit of 40 years said he felt fine for the first month or two, them felt like he was dying for the next six months!! He coughed up all sorts of gunk that had been building up in his lungs apparently.

Keep it sir, You WILL realiase some day that your in much better shape than you were, and you would be if you hadnt quit...

Since having the stroke in March I've also knocked the fags on the head. No major side effects but everyone definitely varies. I caught up with guv'nor before he set off on holiday and he'd given up the week before - he sounded terrible and wad coughing his guts up something cronic.

Got to ditto Gadgetman on the wiff of a fag, SWMBO's still smoking and the smell is inviting.

Stay with it though, I started sticking the £8 a day in a pot, lets just say it's surprising how much we spunk on fags!

Have had no problem with weight gain either, in fact lost 2 stone wihout even trying - a tad more walking but not a lot.

Stay with it though, I started sticking the £8 a day in a pot, lets just say it's surprising how much we spunk on fags!

I had a friend who did that, in 18 months he had the 40% deposit for a new fast Ford.

Before my sister finally gave up, I calculated she was spending more on ciggies than her mortgage - now THAT is a frightening thought!!!!

Living in Germany and working for the yanks, I smoked 80 a day from the PX, at $2 for 200.

Coming home, rollups were better than the lite stuff found in readies.

Then one day someone else had smoked in my car. B'jeyus what a stink! If I smelt like that - and I did, then I am not having any more of that.

Everything went in the bin there and then. Papers, stash of baccy pouches, lighter. Never had another.

For a week I felt ragged. Headaches and a thirst you could photograph. The worse it got the more it made me realise what a hold it had on my life and made me more determined to quit.

Only once, about 2 years later did it ever occur that what I had done. "I would have been having a smoke now" not a craving, more an observation.

The big side effect is you find food has a taste, and is nice, also you can start to over compensate and just have too much. I had a sore throat for ages afterwards, and a pack of suckers was always around. Big problem. Wish I hadn't done that.

Exercise helps. Burning off a few extra calories. Adjusting your metabolism to a higher rate. A distraction from thinking about tobacco. Not least, making your lungs work a bit deeper and help expectorate some of the crap out of your lungs.

The big side effect is you find food has a taste, and is nice, also you can start to over compensate and just have too much.

The other side effect is your sense of smell slowly returns and you realise smokers generally smell of old ashtrays.

Giving up was probably the best (and the most difficult) thing I have ever done in life.

Stick with it Mr Ree; you won't regret it.  Honestly.

• Like 1

Have just turned two years off them and it did feel dis-spiriting at first that the benefits weren't more obvious. To combat expanding waistline I started going to the gym as well as playing football. It was like a switch being flicked and suddenly the difference was immense. Keep at it because your epiphany moment will come

• Like 2

I agree. Really hard but finally, after many attempts during 35 years or smoking, I did it with the help of Zyban - that was 8 years ago. Apart from meeting and then marrying the missus 30 years ago, best thing I ever did. Dont give into that craving; keep at it matey!

It was 18½ years ago that I gave up and got to admit I never felt particularly better off (but then they were only £2.50/pack in those days), but I didn't really suffer any of the withdrawal symptoms either. Still went to the pub with mates who smoked.

Apart for the health benefits, the best effect of giving up is not having clothing that stinks all the time! Before smoking was banned everywhere, you'd go to a business meeting in a suit, have a few smokes then take off your suit when you got home, hang it in the wardrobe and make every other item of clothing reek of smoke  :doh:

My wife has never smoked and looking back I don't know how or why she put up with my smoking?

Don't give up giving up!

I did it ten years ago with patches. Thing that really narks me was I did it through doctors and no one mentioned to be wary of weight gain  and the problems it can cause. I ended up with type 2. So keep an eye on the waist line and weight.  Once you get some sense of smell back, your taste buds will look at all the things you never noticed from the smell .

Hello all,

My first posting - so please be kind.

As an occasional ex - smoker I only came onto this site to find out how to get rid of the stink of tobacco smoke that has just appeared five weeks after purchasing a second hand Rapid. It didn't smell when I inspected the car - they must have used a de-odourising bomb or something similar, otherwise I would not have purchased it. The smell of tobacco smoke is an anathema to me.Tried gels, fragrant oils, sprays - all to no avail. Not tried a bomb yet. Had the Autoglym treatment (body and upholstery) when I purchased the car - not sure if this is a help or hindrance with respect to smell - that is, holding the smell in the fabric. Local valeting company suggests another seat, carpet and head lining shampoo - but this will invalidate the Autoglym treatment and warranty.

Would replacing the filter (pollen and/or air conditioning) help? And where is it on the Rapid?

What to do?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

Hello all,

As an occasional ex - smoker I only came onto this site to find out how to get rid of the stink of tobacco smoke that has just appeared five weeks after purchasing a second hand Rapid. It didn't smell when I inspected the car - they must have used a de-odourising bomb or something similar, otherwise I would not have purchased it. The smell of tobacco smoke is an anathema to me.Tried gels, fragrant oils, sprays - all to no avail. Not tried a bomb yet. Had the Autoglym treatment (body and upholstery) when I purchased the car - not sure if this is a help or hindrance with respect to smell - that is, holding the smell in the fabric. Local valeting company suggests another seat, carpet and head lining shampoo - but this will invalidate the Autoglym treatment and warranty.

Would replacing the filter (pollen and/or air conditioning) help? And where is it on the Rapid?

What to do?

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

A steam clean if desperate?

I gave up smoking about 2 months ago...Well ok i moved myself over to the steaming side of smokes... Bought myself an e-shisha and it costs me about £4 a month for the liquids.... My wallet is now fat but im not.. :) Yay...

• Like 1

Hello all,

What to do?

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

Having recently bought a car with the same problem, after some research I found a local valeter with an Autosmart Aromatek machine and the smell has virtually gone. Google and you will find some info, by all means PM me if you wish.

I suggested a bowl of white vinegar left in the car overnight,on that other thread, but no one has commented on that. :notme:

One of my leccy cigs got left behind in the field I was displaying my Festa in last Sunday.

Took a very pleasant trip back out to St Asaph yesterday, and found it!

Been sitting there for 4 days in the rain, and it's still working. :sun: