Fight between Yeti and a sign post....Yeti lost

mandaroo

Yep its ours. My wife was dazzled by low setting sun as she was negotiating a mini roundabout. She escaped with minor cuts and bruises from airbags but could have been a lot worse. Glad it happened in a modern car with all its safety features. It has been written off after only 7 months.

A pedestrian or cyclist would have done much less damage.

Glad she's okay but when she is feeling better tell her a bloke on the internet suggests she drives a little slower when the conditions dictate it, it'll be cheaper and safer for all involved.

• Like 1

Ouch - bit of a mess.

When I had my accident (although it didn't affect mine) I was told that as soon as the dash airbags deploy, it pretty much guarantees a write off due to the expense of replacing the entire dash

A pedestrian or cyclist would have done much less damage.

Glad she's okay but when she is feeling better tell her a bloke on the internet suggests she drives a little slower when the conditions dictate it, it'll be cheaper and safer for all involved.

She was going at a safe speed for that area, but just as she got onto the roundabout the sun shone through the trees and before she had time to brake it was too late. As with most accidents it was down to driver error but could have happened to anyone. Even the police said that the sun was making it difficult to see as they were approaching the scene.

Regarding the airbags being deployed being a reason for a total loss I couldn't say. On our car I think it was more to do with the shell had gone out of shape as one of the rear doors wouldn't shut properly. What was quite unnerving was the fact that it had a major fuel leak. I thought modern cars had fuel cut offs to shut of the fuel from the tank but it must have emptied half the tank on the road. Oh and another possible cause for concern was the fact that after the initial impact the DSG ended up in reverse which sent her back across the roundabout and into another post causing damage to the rear bumper and tailgate. Good job no one was behind her or indeed pedestrians on the footpath as that's where the car ended up. May have to speak to Skoda about that.

Sorry to see this but glad your missus was ok.

In regards to the DSG's behaviour after the impact... might be worth making Skoda UK aware of this. Seems like a bit of a safety issue that the car put itself in reverse during an impact.

Phil

It might be difficult to work out how it ended up in reverse. Not sure if it was damage to the gear box that caused it to go into reverse or something inside the cabin such an air bag knocked the gear stick into reverse. A passer by took the key out of the ignition and therefore had to put it into park first so when I got there I wasn't able to tell what position the selector had been in. I do have the guys number so could ask if he remembers but I doubt inspecting the gear lever was very high on his list of priorities.

Yeti now for sale via Copart in York, Cat D.

post-60294-0-94721800-1410388417_thumb.jpg

Pre Accident Value showing as £15,100.

Seems low for a fairly new Yeti Elegance

This is what a Yeti looks like after a 25 mph fight with a signpost.

IMAG0548_zpsc19965f4.jpg

• Like 1