Fuel "sloshing"

I am not sure if sloshing is caused by over filling or not..I am pritty new with Skoda.

All the other people here who can listen the sloshing did they fill the tank over (continue tried to fill after the cut off) in some point. So may be if we can establish that there is in expension tank which meant to be empty and if we over fill, the fuel goes in there which causes sloshing noise then admin can put it as sticky post for the other people as precaution. Everybody please share this info with us..like what is your car? Can you here sloshing noise? Since when and did over fill caused it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, automass said:

I am not sure if sloshing is caused by over filling or not..I am pritty new with Skoda.

All the other people here who can listen the sloshing did they fill the tank over (continue tried to fill after the cut off) in some point. So may be if we can establish that there is in expension tank which meant to be empty and if we over fill, the fuel goes in there which causes sloshing noise then admin can put it as sticky post for the other people as precaution. Everybody please share this info with us..like what is your car? Can you here sloshing noise? Since when and did over fill caused it?

I never stop at first click and i don't hear sloshing,  well never noticed it anyway.

• Like 1

Seem not everyone is listening fuel slushing. so there must be something wrong whoever is listening this sound. I will get my car inspected by the dealer who sold it to me. they put a brand new fuel tank before handing over the car..so it could be that they couldn't do their job  properly. Fuel consumption is also very unusual.

Edited by automass

Also check the doors are not holding water inside, this could cause a sloshing noise.

The rubber seal at the bottom can block the drain holes. Carefully pull it back find the holes and check they are clear with a wooden or plastic tool, so you don't scratch the paint.

It's a long shot but I have heard of this.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

24 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Also check the doors are not holding water inside, this could cause a sloshing noise.

The rubber seal at the bottom can block the drain holes. Carefully pull it back find the holes and check they are clear with a wooden or plastic tool, so you don't scratch the paint.

It's a long shot but I have heard of this.

Oh, that's nice to knw..I'll have a look under the doors of my Octavia Elegance. I booked a check up with my seller though..whatever is causing this is not good and I don't think I can get used to it when I am too fussy and peaky about the car.

1 hour ago, automass said:

Oh, that's nice to knw..I'll have a look under the doors of my Octavia Elegance. I booked a check up with my seller though..whatever is causing this is not good and I don't think I can get used to it when I am too fussy and peaky about the car.

I would have expected anything like this to be apparent on a test drive. It really isn't a problem.

17 hours ago, automass said:

12 hours ago, LewJo said:

Ive owned to O3 VRS' a hatch and estate and didn't notice this in either of them.

however, if people are filling past the first shut off at the pump that may be the problem as at that point you're not filling the fuel tank but the expansion tank, which isn't a great idea.

I was gonna say I wonder if this is what they are hearing??? Fuel in the expansion tank sloshing??? No problems myself though.

6 hours ago, automass said:

17 hours ago, automass said:

I can get back to my seller telling them the tank they fit makes sloshing noise, but will it make any different if they replace it with another one? I am already upset with this very economical (totally bull****) car which consumed too mush fuel. I could have bought VW Passat 2L TDi if i would  pay extra £300. downside was just mileage was 15k more than this Octavia and was due for servicing.

I believe you had the opportunity to return this vehicle if your other post is true, and maybe you should have considered this option as you are clearly not happy with the vehicle you have purchased, and you seem to be looking for faults with it. Nice language again.

I am by no means pro Skoda, mine being a 2005 with a PD engine (noisy) and a lot of road and wind noise, and more than a few rattles.

Maybe I do have sloshing fuel, but it is drowned out by these noises, but I have never known someone to have so many issues (inc your other posts) with a car that they have only just purchased, and to come on a car forum for a reason that seems to me to just complain about the car. It was your use of aggressive swearing on your other post that offended, more than anything.

I understand you want to get to the bottom of the sloshing fuel, and your query regarding the expansion tank makes for serious thought maybe.

Good luck with it though, either way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, harrylime said:

Petrol tanks should have baffle plates to reduce or eliminate this. Perhaps they were missed on the production line? Glosrich, I too have a 1.9tdi, and am thinking of changing, how do you rate the Audi fsi? 

If you are asking me about the Audi Harry, I rate it highly, but it is a different motor.

It is a petrol turbo for starts, Tfsi, with very low miles, and if you are wanting a swap from a PD diesel to a petrol, then you would notice a huge difference in engine noise, so long as you pick a good one obviously.

If you also swap from a Skoda to an Audi, (preparing for backlash) you will also notice a lot less road and wind noise, and probably rattles too. (just noticed you have Lexus too???? but do not know the age of either).

I used to work in the motor trade a few moons ago, and drove an Audi 80 that had circa 150,000 on the clock at about ten years old and it drove like new..............hand on heart!

I do heartily recommend, but a good one would cost a good bit more............................than an equivalent Skoda.

I am kind of frustrated with some people's reaction in thus forum..I came here obviously not to complain but for some problems that I am having with my new Skoda. Most of the people here are very helpful and friendly and they are giving me nice piece of advice as wwell as sharing their experience which makes me owe to them..

I could have told here that this car has rattling noise as well as pressure problem on long motorway run, but I didn't...so what makes someone to think that I came here just to complain...what kind of point is this...who shall I complain to..did this forum make this car that I am complaining? 

My advise is, if you canan not help just keep your mouth shut..let the good people talk...this will make the forum best and people will be benefitial. 

20 minutes ago, automass said:

My advise is, if you canan not help just keep your mouth shut..let the good people talk...this will make the forum best and people will be benefitial. 

If you only want confirmation bias and people agreeing with you, you should email yourself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, automass said:

You have to expect forums to reflect opinions in general; positive, neutral and negative.

In the 15 years I've been active on various car forums this is by no means the worst for negativity or criticism, but it isn't the best either.

I think you are being a bit oversensitive. Most of the advice you have received has been quite reasonable.

In relation to the full tank fuel sloshing issue you can see that it has been around a while and probably exists on most mk3 Octavia but most people, including myself, are really not bothered enough to address it. I am only conscious of it when I stop, never when driving.

I have no idea how your initial problem with the filler originated (driving off from a fuel pump with the hose still in?) but I think it unlikely the dealer just happened to have a spare tank laying around to replace the whole unit, normally these things have to be ordered in. More likely they fixed whatever was blocking or bent in the vent.

You obviously are bothered by the sloshing, but quite honestly I don't fancy your chances of getting it accepted as a valid complaint at the dealer since it is quite common and does not affect performance or safety.

Of course if you find evidence of a leak then that is a different matter.

Edited by Gerrycan

5 minutes ago, SmurfWagon said:

If you only want confirmation bias and people agreeing with you, you should email yourself.

No idea what are you talking about..just lets stay on topic please. I will get back here once car is being inspected for fuel sloshing.

7 minutes ago, automass said:

No idea what are you talking about..just lets stay on topic please. I will get back here once car is being inspected for fuel sloshing.

I quoted something in your topic, so I am on topic. I wouldn't sit on a Topic though, it'd melt.

• Like 1

^^^ (above last) good luck with that one then.

Ok this kind of reply doesn't help you any more than the garage will.

I try and be sensible with my replies and help if I can. Still haven't heard an apology for your aggressive swearing though.

Edited by Tilt

33 minutes ago, Tilt said:

If you are asking me about the Audi Harry, I rate it highly, but it is a different motor.

It is a petrol turbo for starts, Tfsi, with very low miles, and if you are wanting a swap from a PD diesel to a petrol, then you would notice a huge difference in engine noise, so long as you pick a good one obviously.

If you also swap from a Skoda to an Audi, (preparing for backlash) you will also notice a lot less road and wind noise, and probably rattles too. (just noticed you have Lexus too???? but do not know the age of either).

I used to work in the motor trade a few moons ago, and drove an Audi 80 that had circa 150,000 on the clock at about ten years old and it drove like new..............hand on heart!

I do heartily recommend, but a good one would cost a good bit more............................than an equivalent Skoda.

That is what I would hope for, better refinement etc., I can't abide rattles etc. I got rid of a new skoda scout 1.8 tsi within two months because of road noise, it was tortuous. The 1.9 is a brilliant workhorse, and the Lexus LS (it's 1999) is a brilliant long distance car, being almost silent. I'm semi retired and would like to reduce from two cars to one, so maybe something in between the 1.9 and the Lexus. I keep reading car reviews and to be honest I'm not particularly drawn to anything. Plenty of scare stories about buying diesel cars at the moment, although I doubt if tax penalties would be retrospective.I'm  leaning towards petrol as fairly low annual mileage anyway. I'm considering the audi a4 avant, although some journalists are heavily critical of the steering, a vw golf estate which seems to get glowing reports, or maybe a mazda 6 2.0 estate. I wish audi still made the 5 cylinder 90, I'd buy a new one like a shot, even though it was a saloon. Wonderful car and better than any new car I've driven lately. There are worse problems to have, and I could keep the 1.9 , but my grandson is after it, so I'm under a bit of pressure 

• Like 1

Just now, SmurfWagon said:

I quoted something in your topic, so I am on topic. I wouldn't sit on a Topic though, it'd melt.

They still make them???

Sorry, back on topic, Lol.

Dealer specification said this car will run 74.3mpg on average where I am getting 36 to 39mpg only..don't you think what they said is bull****! I didn't mean to use this word as swearing. But still if you think I was swearing at you then SORRY........ 

3 minutes ago, automass said:

Dealer specification said this car will run 74.3mpg on average where I am getting 36 to 39mpg only..don't you think what they said is bull****! I didn't mean to use this word as swearing. But still if you think I was swearing at you then SORRY........ 

Taken from a MK3 brochure:

Standard EU Test figures are for comparative purposes and may not reflect real driving results. Fuel consumption and CO2 figures are obtained under standardised EU test conditions (Directive 93/116/EEC). This allows a direct comparison between different manufacturer models but may not represent the actual fuel consumption achieved in ‘real world’ driving conditions. More information is available on the ŠKODA website at skoda.co.uk and at dft.gov.uk/vca

• Like 1