2014 140ps Yeti Intermittently Loses Power

twigd

Hi all,

Both myself and Skoda appear to be stumped on this so I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

A few months ago, about 8000 miles in, my Yeti would very rarely stall when going away from traffic lights. So infrequently in fact, I thought i had done something wrong.

Gradually over the past few months the issue has grown in to it stalling frequently at lights and also loses power when travelling at a consistent speed. There's no error lights, no error messages on the computer and the car just won't go above 1500rpm and no power is delivered to the wheels. Usually restarting the car after a stall or just changing down a gear would seemingly fix it for the rest of the journey, however now it can take up to 7 restarts of the ignition or changing down several gears to get any drive what so ever.

Typically the garage is struggling to know what to fix as there's no errors and they say they haven't been able to replicate the issue. Anyone know what I can do next, as its genuinely not safe to drive. Any thoughts on what it might be would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by twigd

Tell us more about your car.

Manual transmission?

Was it bought new? Warranty left?

How many dealers have dealt with/serviced the vehicle?

If it's under warranty.......get a temporary replacement and have them experience and deal with the dangerous nature.

I had a similar issue with a Peugeot 307 diesel.

It would cut power going round left hand bends every now and then and, like your Yeti, lose power at steady throttle.

It turned out to be the throttle position sensor.

Assuming the Yeti has fly by wire throttle, it may be the same cause ??

My Focus did that twice after a lot of head scratching the main dealer involved Ford Technical,

turned out to be the fuel cap, which was replaced and I had no further trouble.

So many things can cause similar symptoms. I'm a bit surprised there are no fault codes though.

Before all the electronic gadgetry I had a Suzuki van that did something similar and I doubt if the sensors fitted nowadays would have picked it up.

The garage replaced the carburettor (remember those? ), fuel pump and filler cap, cleaned through the entire fuel system, all to no effect. Leave the car for a few minutes and it would be OK.

It eventually turned out to be a large diameter rubber hose between the carb and the air cleaner. It only showed following a trailing throttle on the overrun when the induction pressure dropped "sucking" the hose closed. A new £4 hose cleared the problem but I never got the other costs back! :devil:

Fred

I suspect that there are codes, but only "live" ones, and every time the car gets turned off they clear, which is why I suggest they do a "live" test.

Once a DTC has occurred it will be stored, so therefore should be able to be read.

Get someone to scan the car with VCDS and go from there.

Hi

My 140

Hi all,

Both myself and Skoda appear to be stumped on this so I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

A few months ago, about 8000 miles in, my Yeti would very rarely stall when going away from traffic lights. So infrequently in fact, I thought i had done something wrong.

Gradually over the past few months the issue has grown in to it stalling frequently at lights and also loses power when travelling at a consistent speed. There's no error lights, no error messages on the computer and the car just won't go above 1500rpm and no power is delivered to the wheels. Usually restarting the car after a stall or just changing down a gear would seemingly fix it for the rest of the journey, however now it can take up to 7 restarts of the ignition or changing down several gears to get any drive what so ever.

Typically the garage is struggling to know what to fix as there's no errors and they say they haven't been able to replicate the issue. Anyone know what I can do next, as its genuinely not safe to drive. Any thoughts on what it might be would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I  have the same engine but in auto. Today mine cut out suddenly. Would re-start but cut out when put into D or R. RAC mechanic blankedff the EGR and the car ran a normal. Got us to the Main Dealers. They've since phoned to say "no fault recorded". I'll post update when I know more.