Moments of joy in your day today

mender

1 minute ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I feel mildly offended that I've got to 56 without ever being asked to do jury duty. :D

Do they think I'm unfit for it mentally or something? 

Don't know why you should feel that, I'm 74 and have never been asked either.😀

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I feel mildly offended that I've got to 56 without ever being asked to do jury duty. :D

Do they think I'm unfit for it mentally or something? 

Likewise (though I’ve got nine years on you!).

But, now I’m retired I’d quite happily not be called 😉

3 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I've wondered what's wrong with them, as they clearly don't realise what they're missing out on with me.  I'd be like Henry Fonda or Tom 'You can't handle the truth' Cruise 👍👍

G

• Like 1

its my 3rd time being called, and hopefully my 3rd time dodging it.

i knew it was either something really important or utter ****e, when my mother gave me the envelope today. it went to her house, where i havnt lived for 13yrs...

they use the voting register.. i cant forgetting to get that updated. remember every time a ballot paper is sent out and you cant update that database until after a vote is completed, but also not within 90days of a vote (i think) so it just gets back burnered everytime :D

• Like 1

Just saved £21/month on my mobile phone bill, same provider, same data calls and texts etc.

Actually, I'm also slightly annoyed that they could've done it, but it took a call from me to get it...

• Like 4

On 25/05/2023 at 18:25, Breezy_Pete said:

I was chatting to a neighbour who's always making stuff with wood, and he pointed out that you can get kits on ebay specifically for this bench job.

I found one with a dozen slats of the right dims in Sapele (didn't/don't know much about that) at a slightly gasp-inducing £108 delivered. 

Sent him the link to see what he thought. 5 mins later he sent me a link to 16 bits of similar dims for £70 delivered. :biggrin:

Looks lovely with a bit of Danish oil, we think.

From my long ago boat building days, Sapele is a hardwood similar to Mahogany.

• Like 2

i may have to apply at timex instead of rolex. it stopped after about 10mins last night so theres something else amiss aswell as the balance spring i think. 

or else i just need to put more tension in it. will try that later first and do a deeper dive

• Like 1

The mechanism may just be full of dried lubricant. Can you give a good sousing with a solvent e.g. IPA (not the beer) or paraffin and then use some very thin oil to relubricate it?

• Like 2

As above and a watchmaker I took an old clock to here said to use sewing machine oil if that's any help.

This is what I use. As you can see it's got a very fine needle as well so you can get to the tiny movements and you only need a tiny amount.

You might be able to find it cheaper.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/1271704421/prym-pen-with-fine-oil-12ml?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=oil+prym&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1 

image.jpeg.17147ebde756c0ce51c676b962c7cf6d.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a2033799e33e50c6553a578c1262084.jpeg

Edited by @Lee
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 25/05/2023 at 18:25, Breezy_Pete said:

I was chatting to a neighbour who's always making stuff with wood, and he pointed out that you can get kits on ebay specifically for this bench job.

I found one with a dozen slats of the right dims in Sapele (didn't/don't know much about that) at a slightly gasp-inducing £108 delivered. 

Sent him the link to see what he thought. 5 mins later he sent me a link to 16 bits of similar dims for £70 delivered. :biggrin:

Looks lovely with a bit of Danish oil, we think.

@Breezy_Pete got a link? We have a few old cast ends that need some love. Cheers.

matt black, not shiny bits...

all put back together.

20230529_222559.thumb.jpg.6c700065fa7f82d69b95832d4758e11d.jpg

get out for a test pedal on Wednesday maybe... or def thursday

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mac11irl said:

.... ive managed to **** up my gearing trying to fine tune / compensate for im guessing some over winter cable stretch adjusting the shift tensioner - i did the entire 14k cross country with only 2nd to 8th gears out of 12.....

It's funny, I can strip a car engine and build it back up, but there's something about a bike derailleur that my brain just won't compute, try as I might.  Pulling the cable through and/or bending things is usually my limit before it goes to someone else to fix :thinking:

Pretty crank arms 😎👍

Gaz 

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Similar... I struggled like hell to get a new bike to take bottom or top, always one or the other, never both. I'm an engineer I can read a manual, twist a screw and nope, nada. Eventually took it to my local bike shop for a service/chain and a bit of a I give up moment... 20seconds... your rear hanger, it's bent, so derailleur is twisted to gears... well it's been like that since it came out of the box, guess it got a smack in the couriers van.  So that was a moment of joy a few months back ;)

• Like 4