Moments of joy in your day today

mender

We all have far more in common than our differences.

I had to buy a Dyson against all my prejudices because thats what the decision maker, a girlfriend who cleaned my office and home wanted.

It worked OK if you pandered to it, I seemed to be the only one that noticed it losing suction and who would clean and replace the filters, it eventually got broken by a tenant.

Then I saw a neighbour had put one out for the dustbin men, she said it still worked and I coukld have it, she said had been using it for her artificial lawn which made me feel like I had landed on another planet.

I went to pick it up and it weighed about 40kg, the whole of the inside was rammed full of sharp sand which she had laid on her artificial lawn, I then remembered seeing pallets full of 25kg bags of the stuff, it was kild dried paving sand not sharp sand.

The world is going mad!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3

dyson is the apple of white goods... it appeals to a fanbase that think its reasonable to pay 300quid for a HAIRDRYER!!

my favourite was when they started using the "digital motors" as an advertising point.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

dyson is the apple of white goods... it appeals to a fanbase that think its reasonable to pay 300quid for a HAIRDRYER!!

my favourite was when they started using the "digital motors" as an advertising point.

Yup. To me, digital is Binary. It's either on or off. Plug it in and it's on. Unplug it and it's off. It's marketing *******s for the gullible.

Like the Hyperdymium Engine TM on one of the latest vacs. 

Oooooo look. It's got a Hyperdymium Engine. Utter ****e :D

It's the Hyluronic acid *******s for what, at the end of the day, sucks dust and whatever. 

• Like 2

The brush had stopped turning on my uncle's Dyson, local repair guy wanted £80 to look at it - I opened up the brushbar, removed the accumulated dross and refitted the drivebelt which took a total of 5 minutes. Dyson now working 100%.

£80 for 5 minutes work = £960 per hour rate - nice if you can get it!!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The brush had stopped turning on my uncle's Dyson, local repair guy wanted £80 to look at it - I opened up the brushbar, removed the accumulated dross and refitted the drivebelt which took a total of 5 minutes. Dyson now working 100%.

£80 for 5 minutes work = £960 per hour rate - nice if you can get it!!!

Had something similar with the MILs Dyson cordless handheld.  It was pulsing and a quick check showed the rotating brush, stick filter and mesh filter inside were all clogged.  I don't think she'd emptied or knocked them out ever.  Ten minutes outside taking it apart and knocking the crap out of it and all was well again.

I don't actually think the suction is any better than our cheapie Beldray, the Dyson is more difficult to clean and only seems to last a few minutes whereas the Beldray goes for ages.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I don't actually think the suction is any better than our cheapie Beldray, the Dyson is more difficult to clean and only seems to last a few minutes whereas the Beldray goes for ages.

My GF has a Dyson which is much heavier and doesn't have any where near the cleaning power of my VAX which I got for £64 when Asda had a stock clearance.

• Like 1

The moment of joy in my day has come from the knowledge i contribute very little to the UK economy and nothing towards the public funds that have £220,000 or more to any legal advice that Boris Johnson has had before appearing before a Committee of MP's & the 'Partygate hearing'.

What a load of piffle & poppycock the ex Prime Minister is spouting.   What a total headcase he is showing himself to be. 

Obtuse or oblivious, well yes that is what he is, as well as those around him that were deaf, dumb and blind.

Nobody can know what was going on in his head.

After all he had been near to death, and far too close to those with Colombian marching powder.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 11.23.05.jpg

• Love it! 1

My moment of joy was also Johnson related. Ian Dunt of the I paper did a fantastic 'live Tweet' thread on it. I'll catch the squirms on C4 News, then Peston and Finally Newsnight.
Wasn't he back in No10 and working within a day or so of being discharged? I seem to recall he was. 
As for jogging - he does like getting out of the car a few meters away from his hotel or wherever and jogging for the cameras.

Edited by @Lee

22 minutes ago, @Lee said:

As for jogging - he does like getting out of the car a few meters away from his hotel or wherever and jogging for the cameras.

He he - yep - he's not really built like a runner is he...

• Like 3

Whilst mildly imbibed the other night, I bought a Toshiba walkman on eBay (still, this is better than phoning a guy about a P-reg Vectra... I didn't do that, honest)... moving on... it turns out I've bought the exact same one I had moons ago, that's not the moment of joy though... the bloody thing has auto-reverse! And a graphic EQ as well!

None of this peasantry carry on here now. Going up in the world, and all that. :D

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

On 22/03/2023 at 18:19, skomaz said:

he's not really built like a runner is he

I believe his belt runneth over ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ColinD said:

After an injury tail end of last year I’ve been a bit lost. So decided to go and educate myself on how unfit I’ve gotten over four months.

35km and one cafe, quite a few stops to catch my breathe and solidify the jello legs.

F14CCE9D-B7B8-4502-8D1A-FCB393DD8D19.jpeg

I'm still procrastinating over whether to get off my butt and attempt the couch to 5K thing. Or not 😂

• Like 1

Driving up the M1 and over the M62 this evening...   Alone in the car some decent music and a cracking sunset! 

No pictures though as that would have been naughty whilst driving so you'll have to take my word for it. 

• Like 3

£4.30 win on the Euromillions!! 😁😁😎😎

(No fantastic cause/begging posts please - I've already spent it on more tickets 🤞)

Gaz

• Haha 2

On 25/03/2023 at 20:59, ColinD said:

After an injury tail end of last year I’ve been a bit lost. So decided to go and educate myself on how unfit I’ve gotten over four months.

35km and one cafe, quite a few stops to catch my breathe and solidify the jello legs.

F14CCE9D-B7B8-4502-8D1A-FCB393DD8D19.jpeg

Cycling, walking or running?

On 25/03/2023 at 21:01, @Lee said:

I'm still procrastinating over whether to get off my butt and attempt the couch to 5K thing. Or not 😂

I have gone from running 3 or 4 times a week, 50-70 kms total, several half and full marathons a year to your position since the confinement and due to the upheaval of  selling 2 properties & moving mostly out of a third to my new home plus the renovation work.

The advantage I have is I know what I am capable of (correction was once capable of) and know I can get close to that once again with allowance for the increasing years, the disadvantage is I know exactly how hard it is to regain the lost performance after only a month without training.

I encorage you Lee to take the first step, after a couple of outings you will be amazed and rewarded at the progress you will be making, I think it was MacIRL who posted about his start to fitness and look where he is now, very inspiring and I'm sure your story will be as well, as was mine when I started fitness and running for the first time ever at about your age.