Moments of joy in your day today

mender

There is something about the quality and feel of old spanner’s and tools that you don’t get with today’s stuff. You didn’t need a lifetime warranty with the tools then, if you managed to break them they’d write a folk tune about you. 

Did someone mention vices :o Do you think it’s big enough?

F21F4C60-B084-4A23-92A1-0A9886F9F09B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2019 at 18:11, CWARD said:

I've also been using a cheap Lidl vice for years but it’s never really been up to the abuse I need give at times so been looking for a big old vice. Today I managed to get hold of a Record No25, which is a big old beast. It’s in great condition and one of the last true Record vices before they were bought by Irwin. I might also now have an hernia after carrying the lump into the garage. 

I broke a lightweight vice in 2015, but managed to liberate a Record No.14 just before we sold my Dad's house.  I've just been happily cleaning up one of Dad's old spanners he used to use for erecting tower cranes.  Good Record vice's hard to beat.  Also nice to think of Dad when I use it.  Like Skomaz, I have quite a few of Dad's old tools.  Shame I have one garage, to his garage and five sheds, otherwise I'd have kept a lot more of them.

Gaz

NB: just found the thread introducing my vice - this time, four years ago:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWARD said:

There is something about the quality and feel of old spanner’s and tools that you don’t get with today’s stuff. You didn’t need a lifetime warranty with the tools then, if you managed to break them they’d write a folk tune about you. 

Nice to see not made in the EU or China.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Can't beat proper tools. This is my Record 34p plain vice. Its a cast steel one and tough as old boots. My dad has a nice Paramo 6" QR one that will, eventually, be mine.

image.png.5d1c3e44be7fbf2219b5f21109880f41.png

• Like 1

Watching pigeons trying to fly in this wind – hilarious yet magnificent. They always manage to get to where they need to go, it just takes a bit longer using a different route :laugh:

4 minutes ago, edwards said:

Can't beat proper tools. This is my Record 34p plain vice. Its a cast steel one and tough as old boots. My dad has a nice Paramo 6" QR one that will, eventually, be mine.

image.png.5d1c3e44be7fbf2219b5f21109880f41.png

I had been looking out for a Samsonia Model J 38a , which were regarded as the Rolls Royce of vices and built locally. Every time I got wind of one, it had just sold before I contacted them. 

The cast steel vices are very strong and expensive to produce hence why you didn’t not get many about. Now it it says steel on it it’s just welded plate. It’s a nice restoration you’ve done there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jigger72 said:

Watching pigeons trying to fly in this wind – hilarious yet magnificent. They always manage to get to where they need to go, it just takes a bit longer using a different route :laugh:

We have a very large Buzzard where I work and it was really struggling earlier, probably too many feathers/large wingspan.:smile:

28 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Theres a record vice in my dads shed.

It will be mine...

Have to check what make my retired Dad has on his bench in his garage next Sunday. It will be free however his house will probably cost me £175,000 so it will be worlds most expensive vice.:cash:

24 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I had been looking out for a Samsonia Model J 38a , which were regarded as the Rolls Royce of vices and built locally. Every time I got wind of one, it had just sold before I contacted them. 

The cast steel vices are very strong and expensive to produce hence why you didn’t not get many about. Now it it says steel on it it’s just welded plate. It’s a nice restoration you’ve done there. 

Looked that Samsonia up - nice bit of kit! The 34p cost me £45 in the state it was in, but worth it. Used a mates brand new 'Irwin' vice a month or two back and it wasn't a patch on mine.

My 1916 Drummond 'admiralty b-type' lathe is still going strong, they surely don't make'em like that any more :-) 

• Like 1

The kicker is for current Irwin Record 34 you will be paying £500 for a lesser product. Your time and effort has paid dividends and the vice will continue to pay for itself long after you’ve gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V6TDI said:

I broke a lightweight vice in 2015, but managed to liberate a Record No.14 just before we sold my Dad's house.  I've just been happily cleaning up one of Dad's old spanners he used to use for erecting tower cranes.  Good Record vice's hard to beat.  Also nice to think of Dad when I use it.  Like Skomaz, I have quite a few of Dad's old tools.  Shame I have one garage, to his garage and five sheds, otherwise I'd have kept a lot more of them.

Gaz

NB: just found the thread introducing my vice - this time, four years ago:

Just read through that thread. I couldn't help but laugh, i guess you were cursing a lot.

3 hours ago, CWARD said:

Just be careful if you have something heavy in it and are ragging it about - I've seen a bench overturn in a fitters workshop before now and a big lump of metal like that can hurt - A LOT!  I'd suggest fixing your bench back to the wall behind if possible!

40 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Just read through that thread. I couldn't help but laugh, i guess you were cursing a lot.

Well versed in the art of cussing, over those few days I certainly moved from bronze to silver standard :biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Shame I have one garage, to his garage and five sheds, otherwise I'd have kept a lot more of them.

Gaz

When we were moving house a few years back I'd got a double garage on my list - one half for the MX5 and the other as a workshop.  I failed!  So now I'm looking to either extend out the back of the existing garage to create a workshop (tricky due to ground levels) or get a decent timber outbuilding with power and heat (think wooden lodge style) built to do the same job.

The interesting thing is the wife is in agreement!

On 31/01/2019 at 11:45, xman said:

Now you've set me off SHY.....

Sunday afternoons, return from Church, waiting for Sunday dinner to cook, listening to the Navy Lark and Jimmy Clitheroe on the Home Service on this....

540x360.jpg.21afadec6a51303bbb017a892231e2db.jpg

The Beatles, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich sounded  just fine.....you cant beat an EL34 pentode valve working in Class A for a warm sound.,...

:blush

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EL34

I remember Wakey Wakey the Billy Cotton Bandshow. Might have been Saturday lunchtime

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Just be careful if you have something heavy in it and are ragging it about - I've seen a bench overturn in a fitters workshop before now and a big lump of metal like that can hurt - A LOT!  I'd suggest fixing your bench back to the wall behind if possible!

The bench is very heavy too.  It's all steel with 2 inch angle iron frame, racking for steel pallets which serve as shelves, 3mm sheet steel work top. It took 3 of us to get it down the drive into the garage, since then I've weighed it down with the compressor, batteries and other heavy items on the shelves to stop it floating away :biggrin: Just in case there are raw bolts on the feet.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

When we were moving house a few years back I'd got a double garage on my list - one half for the MX5 and the other as a workshop.  I failed!  So now I'm looking to either extend out the back of the existing garage to create a workshop (tricky due to ground levels) or get a decent timber outbuilding with power and heat (think wooden lodge style) built to do the same job.

The interesting thing is the wife is in agreement!

Perhaps she is thinking Sauna.:emoticon-0157-sun:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Donated £40 to Comic Relief yesterday at work and took these bad boys home as a reward. Before anyone asks they are not for sale.:biggrin:

image.jpg

Are you the one with the big ears? :toivo:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, xman said:

Are you the one with the big ears? :toivo:

When I posted this I was very tempted to say xman was third from the left but you couldn't help yourself as usual, so well done Dopey (that's his dwarf name).:D

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD