Spare wheel and tool kit

Will the 18 fit in the wheel well? (I know this has been done elsewhere, but I have an elegance with 17s and a spare)

Could someone not buy and split with 3 others so you all have an odd spare? It might be a bit more appealing to those who just want a spare and don't have one :-/

Cheap tyre is about £70,

One of those rims. £70

The jack kit from skoda. £40

Not cheap, but would give you a full sized spare for less than 200. Only useful if it'll fit though I suppose

Yes the 18" with a 225/40 tyre fits the well fine.  

You can buy the rims I mention individually, they are or were, about £65 each. I know as I bought a set very recently for winter rims next winter.  They were going in and out of stock a lot though. If you just want a single spare they had a couple of other designs at the same price in the right size.

You'll also find appropriate size used rims on eBay for £60 ish.  That's where I got mine, a draco rim from a seat Leon fr.   Although with tyre leader rims being so cheap currently I'd just buy one of those.

Personally I bought a decent tyre for my spare.... It works out cheaper as when the existing front tyres wear out the decent spare tyre will get swapped to my Gemini rim amount with another matching new tyre and one of the worn but legal tyres can go on my spare rim.  So instead of £70 for a tyre that is only ever the spare, it costs me a tenner in swapping and balancing tyres (all be it with £30 more up front investment)

• Like 1

Although with tyre leader rims being so cheap currently I'd just buy one of those.

Which rim would be required for the 18" Gemini, I don't see the mk3 vRS mentioned??

Which rim would be required for the 18" Gemini, I don't see the mk3 vRS mentioned??

The largest steel rim to suit the Octy appears to be a 16". My wheels on the elegance are 17" so the steel spare is a !6" with a high profile tyre to give the same outside diameter. It might be the same for the VRs as long as the rim fits over the brakes.

Tyre leader don't have Gemini rims for sale. They do have numerous other after market rims that fit.  The Gemini is 7.5 wide x 18", 5 x  112 mm LCD bolt pattern and et51 offset.

Most of the rims on tyre leader are, or the cheaper ones at least, 8" wide but that will take the same 225/40 r18 tyre fine.  The borbet wheels I bought were et50 and 8" wide so the tyre tread would be 1mm further out board at the inner and outer edge, the rim would be 7.3mm  further out, and the inner edge 5.3mm further in. That wont be any problem, there is plenty of chance

• Like 2

I ordered the spare wheel as an option on my new car, £75.

Bargain , should have been £100 inc vat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to follow Neiln's excellent suggestion.

Tyreleader's prices were excellent and the 3 day delivery service very good. Everything fits except the wheel is maybe 1cm too high in my estate boot. No problem for me.

Having driven from Basel twice in 12 months on a skinny 50mph wheel I am so glad that I shouldn't have to do that again.

Thank you Neil for an excellent and cost effective solution.

John

• Like 1

Thank all the briskie community.  I first joined this place about 15 or 16 months ago after placing my order for a car, first post was to ask what the gemini width, offset, bolt PCD etc was and if it fitted in the boot.  I got all the help I needed, and lots of other useful stuff like links to websites listing all the cars with the same fit of wheels (it was much more effective to search ebay by 'Golf mk 5, 6 or 7'  or 'leon fr' than to search purely by the wheel rim details).  Armed  with all that I soon found a rim on ebay.  I kind of see it as my duty, karma payback, to pass the info on to others now  :sun:

Can I just add my thanks for the link Neil as having just looked at Tyre Leader I can buy a wheel and tyre new from them for cheaper than I can find one secondhand on Fleabay.  Just going to get a 16" with a 205/55/16 on it for the 2.0 petrol VRS on a 10 plate as it looks to be what I need for a spare.

• Like 1

Yes the 18" with a 225/40 tyre fits the well fine.  

You can buy the rims I mention individually, they are or were, about £65 each. I know as I bought a set very recently for winter rims next winter.  They were going in and out of stock a lot though. If you just want a single spare they had a couple of other designs at the same price in the right size.

You'll also find appropriate size used rims on eBay for £60 ish.  That's where I got mine, a draco rim from a seat Leon fr.   Although with tyre leader rims being so cheap currently I'd just buy one of those.

Personally I bought a decent tyre for my spare.... It works out cheaper as when the existing front tyres wear out the decent spare tyre will get swapped to my Gemini rim amount with another matching new tyre and one of the worn but legal tyres can go on my spare rim.  So instead of £70 for a tyre that is only ever the spare, it costs me a tenner in swapping and balancing tyres (all be it with £30 more up front investment)

i have a gemini as a spare wheel, it fits reasonably well, the tool holder for the original spare needs the outriggers cut off and the base upstands trimmed then it fits in the wheel as it did with the space saver, with it just proud of the boot floor by about3/4". Edited by cortina63

• 2 years later...

a link?  no.  it wouldn't work anyway, this topic is 2 and a half years old.  Have a search on Tyre leader and a few of the other wheel and tyre websites and you'll find the right size rims fairly cheaply....£55-£60 upwards.  Or these days you may find a scuffed gemini on ebay for not much more which you may prefer.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I've just bought myself a '63 mk3 VRS to replace my mk2. I bought a full size spare 205/55/16 and kit when I got the mk2 as it didn't have one when I bought it. The mk3 has a spare but it's just a skinny, anyone know if the mk2 full size spare will fit the mk3 OK?