What about the things that annoy you?

The air pulsing/buffeting noise is annoying when the windows are open And the car is above a certain speed. This air 'intrusion' will be really enjoyed this summer.

The buffeting IS annoying but to be fair I have experienced this on cars of all makes I have owned for at least the last 15 years.

It is a manifestation of modern car aerodynamics.

A partial solution is to also open the windows in the back until the buffeting ceases at a given speed.

I presume those plastic side-window attachments ease the problem as well, though I have never tried them.

Or buy an old British Leyland car, they had no aerodynamics so no buffeting problems.

• Like 1

I'd like the 6th Gear on my manual 1.4tsi to be a bit higher.

It should be at least the same as the 7th gear on the DSG which would knock down the revs by a ~200rpm at motorway cruising speeds.

5th and 6th ratios are too close in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'd like the 6th Gear on my manual 1.4tsi to be a bit higher.

It should be at least the same as the 7th gear on the DSG which would knock down the revs by a ~200rpm at motorway cruising speeds.

5th and 6th ratios are too close in my opinion.

Yeah would have liked a 6th gear in the 1.6 diesel.

Only thing that really annoys me is the seeming complete lack of traction of my 1.4TSI Elegance when compared with my old Mk1 1.9 TDI.  I must have inadvertently spun the front wheels more times in 3 month of Mk3 ownership than I did in 9 years with my Mk1.  It's on the standard 17" wheels with Pirelli Centuro tyres with at least 5-6mm of tread left on them.

Its down to more power on and less weight over those drive wheels, you'll get used to it or is it the Ampthill Road angst, that road is a Biatch in traffic.

• Like 1

The buffeting IS annoying but to be fair I have experienced this on cars of all makes I have owned for at least the last 15 years.

It is a manifestation of modern car aerodynamics.

A partial solution is to also open the windows in the back until the buffeting ceases at a given speed.

I presume those plastic side-window attachments ease the problem as well, though I have never tried them.

Or buy an old British Leyland car, they had no aerodynamics so no buffeting problems.

True but I will say the octavia suffers the worst from all the brands i have driven. Fact. The naysayers won't have it though....

Rear centre headrest height is annoying as cannot raise it to any height sufficient for an adult thus it will never serve it's purpose in the event of a shunt. Yes there is a ski flap below the headrest so this 'constrains' the headrest height but even so Where was the engineered solution. The middle seat is only suitable for small persons.

The air pulsing/buffeting noise is annoying when the windows are open And the car is above a certain speed. This air 'intrusion' will be really enjoyed this summer.

Just curious, but why do you keep your windows open in an air-conditioned car? Smoker?

• Like 2

True but I will say the octavia suffers the worst from all the brands i have driven. Fact. The naysayers won't have it though....

Mine is hardly noticeable and I've now been pretty quick in it.

Maybe it is to give you the thrill of doing 50, but feeling like it is 170 m.p.h. ?

• Like 1

The only thing that annoys me is that the suspension is too bloody high! (Vrs TSI with 19" extremes). What were Skoda thinking?

I've never felt the need to lower a car in my life but I can feel a set of Eibachs and spacers coming in the future.....

• Like 1

Water spilling out of the doors after a downpour is really annoying. Schoolboy error design fault.

Small fuel tank/range versus previous 320d and 520d beemers.

Road noise and overly harsh ride which easily could have been engineered out.

Cannot mute the sat nav, only turn the sound down when she speaks - why no simple mute option?

Remote boot opening not being able to close as well and that beeping noise (appreciate this can be sorted via VCDS)

Apart from that is is a very good all-rounder that suits my needs - performance, looks, economy, space for family, comfort, kit.

Small fuel tank/range versus previous 320d and 520d beemers.

Cannot mute the sat nav, only turn the sound down when she speaks - why no simple mute option?

I find the fuel tank range amazing compared to my Cagiva, 13 Lts & maybe 120 miles (down to 85 miles if having a fun day).... :D

When the sat nav speaks, if you have MFSW press the volume roller (same way as you mute the radio).

As the car has windows which have switches to open them i exercise the right to. My son also likes the Window open at times. Aircon has nothing to do with it.

That didn't really answer why. We have the ability and right to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we want to do those things.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm just genuinely curious on your motivation behind doing so, since I never feel the need to open a window myself, I've always seen it as a necessary evil to cool a car down.

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 1

yes that annoyed me too until i found the Navigation lady has her own volume setting in the navigation settings. turn sheila right down and she disappears and doesnt affect the radio at junctions! 

So far after 3 days of ownership the only annoying thing is that after making a call via bluetooth on bolero that the radio/media volume doesn't resume and you have to turn it up. Doesn't happen when I receive calls though. Maybe this can be fixed?

You could always turn the automatic folding function off. I have, since I have to keep them folded anyway until I get out of the garage.

True but I actually like the automatic (un)folding, just not every time I unlock the car! 

Edited by dave6376

+1 for the central rear headrest limited adjustment. (But that's a very minor niggle.)

+1 for the awkward-to-reach CD changer in the glovebox.

+1 for the windscreen washer filler - but I always use a funnel anyway.

What's the point of 1st gear in the DSG box?

If the DSG box is so clever, why doesn't it know which gear to go to every time?

Why does the DSG box take so long to move into or out of reverse?

Why not put the power socket inside the lidded space in front of the gear lever? Plug something in, and you've got cable and the plug cluttering up the area.

Some of the plastics (e.g. central tunnel moulding) are really low-rent.

Lack of any decent engine top cover. Road cr@p getting into every crevice. Looks shabby after just a year.

But, but... I really, really like this car.

Most of my 'hates' have been mentioned by others. But I'd like to add;

On nav screen, and I use voice control or the maxidot to make a call,  the screen goes back to the telephone screen when the call is ended, not the nav screen which it was on  :wall:

Using navigation, and a travel announcement comes over the radio, the map is completely obscured by the traffic announcement buttons. So if you want to hear the announcement and see the map, tough. Again  :wall:

The screen which shows you what is using power within the car - it for some reason only thinks you need to know of three of them. On a winter's morning heated seats, mirrors, and front and rear screens plus the air con can mean theres 6 items using power. The screen will only show you 3. Why? Small complaint I know, but if Skoda have gone to the trouble of adding the functionality why stop at 3? Do it properly or not at all.

I don't like the rev counter and speedo numbers being on the side of the dial. Whats even more stupid is the temp and fuel gauge are correctly orientated. As an engineer I'd have loved to be in the meeting where the decided 'The speed and rev dials will have numbers positioned around the side, but the temp and fuel gauges, no, they must be the correct way up'.  :@

Its also stupid that when arriving at a destination at night, turn the car off and the lights go off. Open the door and they are immediately back on again.

The adaptive headlight on the driver's side is also stupidly pointed at the bushes on the far right rather than the road ahead. Again, I'd love to know how they got to the point of deciding 'yes, the driver doesn't need the headlight to see the road ahead, he needs to see if theres anything hiding in the bushes across the road on other side'

Biggest complaint about the car is these are just unnecessary issues. Almost like its an unfinished project.

• Like 1

That didn't really answer why. We have the ability and right to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we want to do those things.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm just genuinely curious on your motivation behind doing so, since I never feel the need to open a window myself, I've always seen it as a necessary evil to cool a car down.

This is getting very strange now. I think you are 'asking' a little to much from one who does not need to justify his reasons for pressing the Window button.

:-P I'm glad we are not all the same

What's the point of 1st gear in the DSG box?

If the DSG box is so clever, why doesn't it know which gear to go to every time?

Why does the DSG box take so long to move into or out of reverse?

Now that you mention it, there are some things about the DSG I dislike. It tends to keep an unnecessarily high gear in low speed driving (<40 km/h) and you can't even override it via manual gear selection. I also wish it was a little more eager to coast in low speeds. I mean it's great to have engine breaking when slowing down from a higher speed, but I don't like having to hold the gas pedal while crawling along in a parking structure. Eco mode helps, but I dislike having to select it every single time.

This is getting very strange now. I think you are 'asking' a little to much from one who does not need to justify his reasons for pressing the Window button.

:-P I'm glad we are not all the same

I certainly don't wish everyone to be the same, but I do like to try to understand the motivation behind someones decisions. I'm just curious, nothing more. Edited by kallekilponen

Most of my 'hates' have been mentioned by others. But I'd like to add;

On nav screen, and I use voice control or the maxidot to make a call, the screen goes back to the telephone screen when the call is ended, not the nav screen which it was on :wall:

Using navigation, and a travel announcement comes over the radio, the map is completely obscured by the traffic announcement buttons. So if you want to hear the announcement and see the map, tough. Again :wall:

The screen which shows you what is using power within the car - it for some reason only thinks you need to know of three of them. On a winter's morning heated seats, mirrors, and front and rear screens plus the air con can mean theres 6 items using power. The screen will only show you 3. Why? Small complaint I know, but if Skoda have gone to the trouble of adding the functionality why stop at 3? Do it properly or not at all.

I don't like the rev counter and speedo numbers being on the side of the dial. Whats even more stupid is the temp and fuel gauge are correctly orientated. As an engineer I'd have loved to be in the meeting where the decided 'The speed and rev dials will have numbers positioned around the side, but the temp and fuel gauges, no, they must be the correct way up'. :@

Its also stupid that when arriving at a destination at night, turn the car off and the lights go off. Open the door and they are immediately back on again.

The adaptive headlight on the driver's side is also stupidly pointed at the bushes on the far right rather than the road ahead. Again, I'd love to know how they got to the point of deciding 'yes, the driver doesn't need the headlight to see the road ahead, he needs to see if theres anything hiding in the bushes across the road on other side'

Biggest complaint about the car is these are just unnecessary issues. Almost like its an unfinished project.

I like the last comments...very true.

You can turn off the 'coming home' feature in the infotainment - I've done the same, leaving the 'leaving home' feature on.

One point of adaptive lights is that they change, depending on speed. I like that they have a very wide coverage at slower speeds. They light up far more road than my last car at any speed. You could turn off the adaptive bit - at least you have the choice. :)

Edited by philwoodphoto

Only had my Vrs for two weeks and overall I really like the car but I do have a couple of moans.

Firstly I have a terrible buzzy rattle coming from around the instrument cluster, I think it is the black plastic surround. It sounds like a clip rattling at around 30mph, it's getting on my nerves !

The Alloy wheel sticks out past the tyre making it so easy to catch something which I have already found out. First time in years this has happened !

Compared to my previous car, a 1 series BMW, the tyre roar/road noise is louder, not enough to really bother me but it is noticeable.

Slight clutch judder for some reason at times.

Steering feels a bit wooden in comparison to previous BMW, Audi, Seat.

Overall the car is great, averaging around 48mpg around town which is 50% up on my BMW so a decent saving there.