vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

Kobayashi, 

Ask the 'Manager' / ar53 to send you a copy of where he / she sees 1 litre in 1000km (621 miles,  and not as writen in VW  stuff

0.5 litres / 1000 km.

Even with 0.5 litres in 1000km usage of oil when Skoda Employees said that was the acceptable amount 

people had engines replaced when there was 0.3 litres / 1000 km oil consumption.

Actually ask the Manager to send the procedure the technicians are following. 

Motorway driving is where you are least likely to get high oil consumption,

it usually comes with short trips where the oil is seldom up to temp properly for any time, 

and the engine is running rich on start up time after time.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

As a wee extra.

That is for all VW engines, petrol / diesel, 3-12 cylinder, 44kw upwards. (their cover all, cover their backsides part)

& the UK Commuting is not Alpine Passes in Summer towing, or likely extreme high or low temperatures, 

and you will never be more than 4,000 feet above sea leaven in the UK.

So that 'conditions and driving style is reserved for Skoda Dealership employees in perk vehicles'.

DO THEY EVER READ OWNERS MANUALS?

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I've told Skoda that my car had an oil warning light come on and they will check the car next week(they won't see any light though since I've added oil). I'll mention that I've added almost 2 litres of additional oil. I've only had it since July, it seems really bad. I checked the dipstick the other day and it was barely over the minimum.

I have also noticed the back of the car is covered in black particulate dust, like it's burning oil and that's ending up all over the back...

Should I push them for an oil consumption test?

I haven't even made one payment for this car yet ????

I hope they can fix because I think it's awesome.

Edited by Chibakun

Chibakun, i would push for the test, you shouldnt have to pay for yours, if you bought it from them recently. Test is £75 at Skoda if car bought private or from non skoda garage.

Also, After speaking to manager on the phone Saturday he has confirmed i am on the 1000km (621miles test) & to bring it back then (unless the warning light comes on first), he also agreed that he was wrong and it is 0.5 litres over 1000km max. Ive done 200 miles and  i am now 25% down on cold dipstick, warning light will probably not come on? Not sure how much oil this is. Ive attempted some calculations: -

Worked out in Excel the potential max failure rate in grams over this distance (1000km) would be 420grams, Ive attached a picture of the excel calculation, no wonder goneoffski result (although good reading of 0.31) has got mis-calculations in it , His oil must have been OVERFILLED by at least 0.7 litres for the official skoda consumption test.

They should not be using more than 3.025KG worth of oil for the test.  If garages are assuming 3.6KG of oil = 3.6Litres of oil then there is a serious problem!

By my calculations 3.6KG = 4.3Litres! I dont think mine has been overfilled but i will get a copy of the report and post it here.

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3309-247.html (theoretical 420g (500ml) over 1000km

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3309-268.html (goneoffski 78g (93ml) over 300KM comparison overfilled start of test..?)

So in theory you can pass oil consumption if below 0.42g per KM (420g per 1000KM), but they could have damaged engine by overfilling for the test!!

^^^ 

The invoice with a test and 3.6 litres weighed at 1000 grams to a litre is not a test done for me, 

that is from another members post in the 33 page Oil Consumption Thread.

1 Litre of Engine oil @ 15*oC is 857 grams.

3.6 x 857 grams is 3085.2 grams.

But when you drain the oil you do not get all out the first time,  or the 2nd time after the test.

So a drained out of the sump weighed is lower than 3085.2 grams at the beginning of a test.

If the draining done after the test is done the same weigh you get some idea, but no degree of accuracy to use multiplication.

I see so many wrongly done Oil Consumption Tests, i have many examples provided by members, and some have used these to show Skoda UK CS how the tests are not fit for purpose.

This is how the tests used to be done.

post-86161-0-40460500-1472480753_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-55837800-1472480762_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-26346000-1472481301_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Still haven't got my oil figures from the other week infront of me, but took chance to check a couple of plugs today.

Before the breather/ spray jets they were soaked in oil and caked in carbon fouling!

I'd say these looks a lot better! Oil level hasn't budged in 700 miles too!

post-136973-0-00827800-1472580430_thumb.jpeg

post-136973-0-28571900-1472580444_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mac26
  • Like 1

Re oil consumption

I'm going to pick up my car tomorrow and then I need to drive 200 miles and then take it back.

It just so happens that my wife wants to go to Dover on Saturday, so I'm going to clock up at least 230 miles going there and back. Do you rekon that'll be OK with them?

Edited by Chibakun

Your car is unlikely to use oil on a return trip like that.

If it does you really have an oil user.

The test is 300km (186 miles)  but others recently have been told to do 1000km (621 miles).

If you have an oil user it usually is on shorter trips where the oil is not getting up to temp.

?

Has the car had new oil & filter fitted and that Oil weighed before you go for 200 miles?

230 miles will make no difference over the 200 they say or the 186 miles, 

and them multiplying. someone at the Dealership with accurate scales surely knows how to use a calculator.

Ask them!

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up. The service centre man said it's had a breather mod.

The thing is I normally do short 20 mile round trip journeys to work 5 days a week. So I bet it won't use much oil. But it's only going to happen again in a month's time.

Edited by Chibakun

If it has had the breather mod it should also have had the software update, so ask.

& be sure to get the report on the Oil consumption test when done.

Start and finish weights of the oil.

I've got it back. I don't know whether I'm imagining it, but it feels different. I can't say it's slower or not.

I'll drive it as normal for 2 weeks and then take it back for the measuring.

I am having consumption issues as well only purchased the car two months ago (2012 CAVE 41k on the clock). The car will always use oil on start-up (when either the turbo or supercharger are engaged). The car doesn't seem to use any more oil if it is driven long distance or whether the it is a short trip, just on the initial warm up.

Called the dealership which i purchased the car from (Skoda main agent), they asked me to bring in the car so they could check for oil leaks and to run a diagnostic. I don't see how any of these checks are going to show an issue? I can see where the oil is going as it is plastered all over the back of the car. 

Long story short i called Skoda UK gave them the sob story, they said that i had to pick it up with the dealer and go through their checks and balances. Then get a phone call from Skoda UK saying that they have picked up my case and will liaise with the dealer so i can bin off the diagnostic check (£55) and get them to pay for an oil consumption check.

I am worried that if i do long distance the car will pass, but shorter distances it will fail which is something that i am finding difficult to get through. 

Has anyone else been through a similar process to the above?

WOW, I wasn't worried about my car until I started reading this thread  :peek:.

I purchased my car in March 2015 with 22000 miles, it's a July 2013 CTHE model VRS. The reason I started reading the thread was because I wanted some advice on servicing as the only advice I got from my local dealer was "it's up to you" when I asked about servicing.  The car has covered a total of 31500 miles and had it's one and only service in Jan 2015 at 19500 (which was the specified QI6 variable service). Before purchasing the vehicle I did some research and was aware that the engine would use oil and was quite prepared for this, to date I have topped up the car with 4litres of Castrol Edge 5w30 in 9500miles over 18 months.  I mainly do short journeys of 5 miles to work and 5 miles back along national speed limit dual carriageways.  Sorry about the waffle, but as I'm posting on this thread I thought I'd add my own oil consumption, which I don't think is too bad given the types of journeys I do, approx 0.42litres/1000miles, just for the record I always use Shell V-Power.

My query was do I continue with the variable service or do I switch to a fixed interval service with 10w40 given the amount of miles I do?

Also can anyone advise me at what mileage it is recommended to change plugs and timing belt, absolutely nothing in the service book about these items.

- Your oil usage sounds fine (well within VAG's - admittedly generous - tolerances).

- Definitely switch to fixed annual servicing - your mileage doesn't justify variable servicing.

- The twin charger has a chain, so no timing belt.

- Skoda schedule for the plugs is every four years or 40,000 (?) - the consensus on here is that that's too long a gap - every two years or 10,000 miles is recommended for a 'safety first' approach.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

Hi !

10W-40 is usually not rated VW502.00 as recommended for fixed servicing. Maybe go for 5W-40 full synthetic (George would add "anything but Castrol crap !" ).

Concerning my case of oil consumption, the car is at the garage after ~1100km. They should do the weighting on tomorrow, I'll make sure to get the report and that they ask for goodwill even if I'm under 0.5L/1000km (I think I'm over that anyway).

I'll keep you informed !

LOL.    Is that the word from a Dealership employee, not actually Skoda France. ?

The Spec they might be going by is 0.5 litres in 1000km (621 miles)

If they actually did a very accurate test.

As Skoda / VW have accepted over the 6 past year,s 0.3 litres in 1000 km is still unacceptable. 

Engines using that much oil have been replaced.

?

So do you have the Oil Consumption test report.

Oil weight at start of test, miles covered and weight at end of test.

ie,  How they got the figure of 0.48 l / 1000km

That is a fail, no matter it was not 5.1 L / 1000km.      Best get your Warranty Claim into the Warranty Provider. 

PLEASE POST ON HERE THE WEIGHTS OF OIL AS SHOWN ON THE 'OFFICIAL OIL CONSUMPTION TEST' AS CARRIED OUT.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I have the report (but not with me), 3000g of oil at 110769km (start of test) and 2540g at 111900km (end of test) ...

So 460g for 1131km, giving 406g/1000km, giving 0.48L/1000km ...

I have to write a letter to Skoda France...

What is wrong with that is.

If there was 3.6 litres of oil in / 3085.2 grams.   They actually managed to drain 3000 grams to start the test.   (i never can)  Then refilled that into the engine to start the test.

(I would want the weight they had for the 3.6 litres they put in, measured before pouring in, or was it possibly 3.7-3.9 litres they added, so possibly as much as 3,342 grams, then drained to get 3000 grams of hot oil as in the report)

Then they drained 2540 grams.

460 grams less oil when drained again.

That is just so inaccurate and then the figure of 406 grams of oil used in 1000 km.

?

If you just kept driving another 1000 km without adding more oil it may use more oil over that miles.

So it could be using 1 litre or more in 2,000 km, maybe more by the time it needs its 4th tank of petrol.

That is excessive oil use if you are just driving normally.

& since a vRS can not tow that is not a possible reason, and a car should be able to drive in Europe in Summer and not need 8 litres of oil topping up between services if fixed servicing.

On this test where some technician seems to have thought 1 litre weighed 1000 grams they even show that as the weight they drain.

That is amazing that they get the oil in with a new filter, get it up to temperature and then drain it and manage to get near as damn it 3.6 litres back out.

*The VW Consumption tests they came up with are not fit for purpose.*

post-86161-0-82002900-1473328330_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I have still got another 275 miles to complete the 621 miles test. I was giving car to the wife 40 mile round trip opposed to my 10 mile.  

Oil consumption has improved but i dont want to just about pass this test. I am actually in favour of slightly failing the test as i know from my own logs it is a burner and gets progressively worse 3-6 months after servicing 

So no more 5min 'cool downs' and 20 mile runs (at least until test is over)

I had 5 places to go in an hour yesterday. So its drive,overtake, stop, turn off.

Having just been serviced mine is more likely to just about pass so the timing of the test in relation to your service schedule is also important. 

Actually after a service and oil change with 5w 30 FS Long Life oil some twinchargers tend to use a bit of oil even when normally they are not an oil users.

(do not ask why, that is just an observation i have made over 4 years and with quite a few twinchargers.)

As to just passing the test if that is the figure of may use as much as 0.5 litres in 621 miles.

Then that figure is not anything official and even Skoda UK know that much oil use in the UK in normal road use as unacceptable.

(There might be higher temps in some areas of the UK in the last week but that is hardly Crossing Alpine Passes in high summer towing a caravan. & Twinchargers have no towing allowance anyway.)

good luck.