The 280PS Thread

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the brakes/disks from the Golf R are larger/better and, if yes, would they fit the 280?

I've not measured them yet, but they do seem to fill the 18" rims, & appear to be bigger than the discs on my superb 2.

What did surprise me is that the both front & rear discs are ventilated.

DC

• Like 1

As it was 12.30 am i was able to take a quick picture of my average fuel consumption on my way to work,about 13 miles inti my journey,warmer weather helps for sure.its a record for me,any body else with the 280 bettered that? You will have to zoom in chaps!! Kevin.

post-135460-0-68862900-1462782106_thumb.jpg

I've not measured them yet, but they do seem to fill the 18" rims, & appear to be bigger than the discs on my superb 2.

What did surprise me is that the both front & rear discs are ventilated.

DC

Are the s2 and s3 disks of the same size (i.e. S2 tfsi/3.6 with S3 tfsi/280)

Are the s2 and s3 disks of the same size (i.e. S2 tfsi/3.6 with S3 tfsi/280)e

Mine is a 2.0 TSi, S2 so probably not the same size as the V6 S2.

Maybe check the part numbers at a Skoda dealer?

• Like 1

Personal choices. See Gizmo's list.

I won't enable/disable/alter functions just "because I can" but rather "do I have a need or desire for it?".

Thus the only adaptation I would recommend, and only because of my 280 experience, is the throttle response.

It's a great car but with the default setting you need to give the accelerator pedal a bit of oomph to get the engine to respond.

To introduce anthropomorphism it feels like you telling the car "Okay, I'm finished dawdling, now let's go".

After the change it's the car that is now asking "Why are we dawdling? Let's go".

Handy! That was my one niggle with the 220, you had to put it into sport mode for good body control and weight distribution (i.e. using acceleration sense) on corners, but then it wants to run to the red line when you don't necessarily want it to.... When I get ours back from the body shop I'll be hunting out a member with VCDS in the north west. Perfect!

Hi all,

New member just joined. 280 is on my shortlist for new company car...currently running a Focus ST. Will miss it like crazy but require more space and comfort. Did consider diesel (have a sneaky hankering for a VW Touareg) but know it'd be hard to acclimatise after the ST. Am under no illusions as to 280's handling compared to the ST, but know I'd appreciate the straight line shove and the stealth.

Anybody here have the 280 estate, as I'm considering it over the hatch.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi all,

New member just joined. 280 is on my shortlist for new company car...currently running a Focus ST. Will miss it like crazy but require more space and comfort. Did consider diesel (have a sneaky hankering for a VW Touareg) but know it'd be hard to acclimatise after the ST. Am under no illusions as to 280's handling compared to the ST, but know I'd appreciate the straight line shove and the stealth.

Anybody here have the 280 estate, as I'm considering it over the hatch.

Cheers,

Dan

Yeah fair few estates on here Dan

Thanks Nick...hope to hear some feedback on them. Would be interested in refinement of estate compared to hatch as estates usually resonate road roar a lot more.

Dan

Thanks Nick...hope to hear some feedback on them. Would be interested in refinement of estate compared to hatch as estates usually resonate road roar a lot more.

Dan

I've had back to back test drives, both L&K DSG & AWD, a 280 estate & a 190 hatch,& ignoring the very different performance characteristics SWMBO & I

felt the hatch was more refined.

I've driven 4 diferent Superb 3 estates & there was always a feeling that the road noise was much more than we could live with.

The estate looks better, is more useful & has better MGFV's than the equivalent hatch but it needs to be quieter.

I've owned 5 Mondeo Estates over 18 years & I never felt a lack of refinement, but they all had a totally different rear suspension system than the Mondeo Hatch & Saloon,

& maybe that's why.

HTH, DC

Thanks old newbie2.

I had one of the original Octavia estates, and while it was a handy car and nicely styled, we got rid of it after 18 months as the road noise was unbearable. The equivalent hatch was a lot quieter.

On our company lease system, the Superb estate is notably cheaper than the hatch...probably due to the estate residuals being a lot better. Prefer the look of the hatch though and if it's quieter then that's where we'll probably go.

Sorry had to comment, I have a 190 estate and there is little or no road noise what so ever, I am of the opinion that some people have very sensitive ears, when you read reviews of the superb or better still watch them I have seen reviewers commentate on the fact that they have not had to increase the sound recorded, as they have in other cars, as the Superbs are so quiet. Im not saying some may not have the odd rattle or worse but generally the cars are more than acceptable and most people drive with music on in which case you will not hear anything other than the music. Certainly mine is far quieter than my last Mondeo and as quite as BMW, MERC, FORDS,,, SKODAS, VAUXHALLS AND RANGE ROVERS I have been in on a consistent basis over the last 15 years. As for the 280, being a petrol I would imagine it is even quieter and smoother.

The 280 4x4 really is the pinacle and will be a lovely car....a bigger, more handsome, higher quality Octavia pretty much with loads of go and loads of kit....really not much not to like.

The problem for me is that I cant rationalise a 30 odd or 40 odd grand Skoda however nice it is....particularly given this thing wont be worth a fart a year or so after its rolled out the showroom door.....a shame but thats how it is. Also the 280 is a little hampered by being a 4 cyl.....be more appealing if it had a detuned version of the Audi S4 V6 but then I suppose MPG and emissions wouldnt have been ideal.

I think the car makes the most sense really as a 150 TDI SE Business....its got more than enough go (is probably as quick if not quicker than a 170 TDI Mk2....much as the Octavia which is all you really need in a car like this) and not an obscene amount of money....pushing the boat out a 190 TDI either 2wd or 4x4 or a 220 TSI SE-L Executive in stock spec is as far as Id consider pushing it but were all different. Fair shout to those biting the bullet...jealous that you'll end up with a v cool Skoda....not so jealous of the readies that will be going up in smoke though.

well put, it is easy to get carried away , convince yourself you need all the niceties in the top model and the most powerful engine,  and to forget about residual values. I am in a position in which I can afford the top spec,or a BMW or a Merc, but I'm trying to come to a decision based on what I really need (which due to my shallow nature still may be the top model, although maybe not the 280). The online brokers may change my decision, as I usually buy used, and the dicounts on offer make it very tempting to up the price range. I have had a skoda octavia 1.9 for four years to see me through a house renovation, and it has been brilliant as a workhorse. I also have a lexus LS 400 on a classic car policy and that has reinforced how much I value comfort, refinement and silence

280 estate owner here - not driven the hatch, but have no complaints about the refinement, and my last car was a Lexus LS430. Tyre roar can be significant on some surfaces but overall it's decently quiet, and I rather like the hard rasp under acceleration!

• Like 1

280 estate owner here - not driven the hatch, but have no complaints about the refinement, and my last car was a Lexus LS430. Tyre roar can be significant on some surfaces but overall it's decently quiet, and I rather like the hard rasp under acceleration!

For us it was the tyre roar, it was there all the time & what we thought was a too load exhaust for the car that it purports to be.

This is from two road tests, one in Surrey, t'other in Norfolk so differing road surfaces for sure, but a bit soggy at both locations.

The deciding factor for us was that my Superb 2, which we used to drive to / from both dealers, whilst not being as up to date as the S3 was quieter & more economical.

We just couldn't justify the cost to change + the very low predicted residuals.

On the other hand, swapping SWMBO's Octy 2 FL vRS for a new Golf R Wagon almost makes sense, we did get a reasonable price for her 5 year old & the Golf "should" be worth

about half of the invoice price in 3 years time........

It too has too much noise from the Bridgestone Potenza's, has a loud exhaust, + 'orrible economy, but it is better than a '11 Octy & I do get to keep my Super B to play with when I want peace & quiet!

HTH.....

Happy choosing, DC

The deciding factor for us was that my Superb 2, which we used to drive to / from both dealers, whilst not being as up to date as the S3 was quieter & more economical.

My Superb II estate came shod with Continentals and they were noisy. When they needed replacement I opted for Pirelli P Zero Rosso and the difference in tyre road noise was considerable (the P Zero being so much quieter).

My Superb III hatchback came shod with Pirelli Cinturato and I'm unimpressed. They are so much noisier than the P Zero's were and when I switched to winter tyres last November there was considerably (and I mean a lot) less road noise than the Cinturato - and winter tyres are supposed to be notoriously noisier than standard tyres.

I really look forward to the day when the Cinturatos need replacement!

Anyone considering buying a 280 should not be someone who gives a second thought about residuals or economy. Don't these people read the reviews? They're much better off going for a disiesel.

Leave us 280 owners to count our marbles - after all, we've apparently lost them and haven't got many left to count!

• Like 3

My Superb II estate came shod with Continentals and they were noisy. When they needed replacement I opted for Pirelli P Zero Rosso and the difference in tyre road noise was considerable (the P Zero being so much quieter).

My Superb III hatchback came shod with Pirelli Cinturato and I'm unimpressed. They are so much noisier than the P Zero's were and when I switched to winter tyres last November there was considerably (and I mean a lot) less road noise than the Cinturato - and winter tyres are supposed to be notoriously noisier than standard tyres.

I really look forward to the day when the Cinturatos need replacement!

Anyone considering buying a 280 should not be someone who gives a second thought about residuals or economy. Don't these people read the reviews? They're much better off going for a disiesel.

Leave us 280 owners to count our marbles - after all, we've apparently lost them and haven't got many left to count!

And so say all of us :-)

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading the forum for ages but having picked up my L&K 280 estate a fortnight ago it’s about time I started contributing.

First up I wanted to say thanks for all the great information that’s been posted on this thread (and the S3 board generally). Persuaded me to hit the button back in January and place the order! I would definitely have missed out on adding smart light assist to gain the rather nicer DRLs if I hadn’t been reading…

First impressions are excellent. Moving up from an 07 plate Octavia VRS I was anticipating a big leap in quality but it’s exceeded my expectations. Went for the beige interior with petrol blue on the outside which I love, although I suspect the interior might be a bit hard to keep looking spotless.

Only managed a few hundred miles so far but impressions on the drive are great too. It’s such an easy car to drive around town and thanks to the combination of a better driving position, smaller turning circle and parking sensors / park assist it certainly doesn’t feel any bigger than the Octy despite looking a lot bigger when parked up in the drive. I’ve put my foot down on a few occasions, fantastic on the motorway or a-road and it even made a passable attempt at a fun drive down some country lanes.

Only complaint so far is that I find the throttle response a bit slow in normal/drive. Switching into sport is better but brings with it the problem of the revs being held too high for any extended period of driving. I’ve been driving it in “manual” with the paddles quite a bit as a result. Keen to give the “Audi pedal” VCDS modification a go as that sounds like it might provide a longer term answer.

Given I’ve stumbled into a noise discussion, on my (admittedly limited) travels I have not been bothered at all by road noise. It’s multiples quieter than the Octy (no surprise there) and in my opinion on par with the BMW 535d estate I’ve driven in the past. I’m sure there are quieter cars out there but it’s not bothered me one bit. As for the exhaust, if anything I would quite like a little more noise when in sport, but I appreciate opinions on this one are highly personal!

On that note, has anyone tried tmg’s exhaust flaps open vcds mod? Noticeable results?

Thanks again for all the excellent posts.

• Like 4

Keen to give the “Audi pedal” VCDS modification a go as that sounds like it might provide a longer term answer.

On that note, has anyone tried tmg’s exhaust flaps open vcds mod? Noticeable results?

Welcome.

The Audi mod is worth doing. You'll notice the biggest difference at the lower end. Why it's set to a more sluggish response is beyond my comprehension but I'm sure those VAG engineers had their reasons.

I haven't changed the exhaust flap as I'm yet to be convinced it's advisable. Those exhaust flaps, being located in the tailpipe, can serve two purposes - [a] adjust the engine note and  to help bring the catalytic convertor up to optimal operating temperature.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Welcome.

The Audi mod is worth doing. You'll notice the biggest difference at the lower end. Why it's set to a more sluggish response is beyond my comprehension but I'm sure those VAG engineers had their reasons.

I haven't changed the exhaust flap as I'm yet to be convinced it's advisable. Those exhaust flaps, being located in the tailpipe, can serve two purposes - [a] adjust the engine note and  to help bring the catalytic convertor up to optimal operating temperature.

In the driving mode options scree on our new Golf R, there is an "individual" mode, where you can tailor throttle response, ride comfort, steering feel, etc. to suit your own preferences.

Is this not available on a 280?

If not, perhaps it could be enabled through VCDS?

DC

Hi DC. There is an "individual" mode and it's primarily the only one I use.

The options are to change DCC, Steering, Drive, ACC, Dynamic lights, and aircon.

There is no throttle response setting.

Hi DC. There is an "individual" mode and it's primarily the only one I use.

The options are to change DCC, Steering, Drive, ACC, Dynamic lights, and aircon.

There is no throttle response setting.

In a  Golf, if sport / race mode is selected, the throttle response is different, "more dynamic" rather than "more balanced", & in individual mode it's one of the choices in the menu. 

(According to page 250 in the manual wot I've just read.)

Maybe it's the same in "drive" mode in your car, Skoda manuals do have a more interesting take on the concept of accurate translations! 

DC

Haha ! Think I annoyed some bloke today in a Vauxhall Zafira VXR who decided he was going to come past me on the outside lane of an island onto a dual carriageway 70 limit ... Unfortunatley I was in Sport and decided that I wanted to take that particular moment in time to see how fast I could go from about 30 to 70....

Answer was a lot faster than a Zafira VXR it seems.... Cruise on at 70 for me but I must have dented his pride a bit because he then came past me at trans warp speed and vanished into the distance :-D

Haha ! Think I annoyed some bloke today in a Vauxhall Zafira VXR who decided he was going to come past me on the outside lane of an island onto a dual carriageway 70 limit ... Unfortunatley I was in Sport and decided that I wanted to take that particular moment in time to see how fast I could go from about 30 to 70....

Answer was a lot faster than a Zafira VXR it seems.... Cruise on at 70 for me but I must have dented his pride a bit because he then came past me at trans warp speed and vanished into the distance :-D

Good for you....really looking forward to the red 'Q' car experience, I have seen the photos of your car on the pictures thread and it looks amazing!

• Like 1