The 280PS Thread

13 minutes ago, Leccy said:

Yes it can be a bit misleading to compare small cars with a proper car 😋

Karoq has between 490-580 litre boot. Octavia hatch 590 litre boot. Not exactly small in their segments. Easier to park in a multi-storey car park as well.:giggle:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Karoq has between 490-580 litre boot. Octavia hatch 590 litre boot. Not exactly small in their segments. Easier to park in a multi-storey car park as well.:giggle:

Wouldn’t fit my kids behind me in either 😎

now stop trolling our thread with talk of your superminis 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Leave Shy alone.  He's blissfully ignorant that around 50 of those AMD ponies are wasted waiting for his front wheels to find some traction. I reckon a car with ~280 (more likely ~300) bhp and AWD would take it......easily......really really easily.  🤣

That's  a bit harsh Penguin. After all - you haven't allowed for the aerodynamic enhancements Shy gets from his go-faster stripes and the extra down-force on the front  wheels created by the furry dice hung from his mirror...

:biggrin:

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

That's  a bit harsh Penguin. After all - you haven't allowed for the aerodynamic enhancements Shy gets from his go-faster stripes and the extra down-force on the front  wheels created by the furry dice hung from his mirror...

:biggrin:

In hindsight I think harsh and brash is a fair appraisal.  I did completely forget about the aforementioned aero enhancements...

My car isn't painted so surely that weight saving could claw something back? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Leave Shy alone.  He's blissfully ignorant that around 50 of those AMD ponies are wasted waiting for his front wheels to find some traction. I reckon a car with ~280 (more likely ~300) bhp and AWD would take it......easily......really really easily.  🤣

Oh God, You just reminded me of the dreadful memory of running anything over 300bhp through two front wheels. That time when a bloody stock, heavy and slow (compared to a 370bhp GTI) A6 3.0 TDI of a colleague kept having fun with me from the traffic lights was a painful one, and one that affirmed my decision to move to more serious drivetrains if I wanted real performance. FWD never again for me and I can definitely feel for the guy and thus be leaving him alone just because of that pain he's going through I promise :D

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, newbie69 said:

Oh God, You just reminded me of the dreadful memory of running anything over 300bhp through two front wheels. That time when a bloody stock, heavy and slow (compared to a 370bhp GTI) A6 3.0 TDI of a colleague kept having fun with me from the traffic lights was a painful one, and one that affirmed my decision to move to more serious drivetrains if I wanted real performance. FWD never again for me and I can definitely feel for the guy and thus be leaving him alone just because of that pain he's going through I promise :D

I remember my Mk2 Octavia vRS struggled with 'just' 197bhp.  It loved eating tyres too.  Fair enough there's been advances in TCS and trick FWD e-diffs and similar but asking the front wheels to steer, brake AND handle a lot of power is asking a bit too much. 

• Like 1

Just now, penguin17 said:

I remember my Mk2 Octavia vRS struggled with 'just' 197bhp.  It loved eating tyres too.  Fair enough there's been advances in TCS and trick FWD e-diffs and similar but asking the front wheels to steer, brake AND handle a lot of power is asking a bit too much. 

E-diffs or even mechanical ones are great for cornering grip but don't do sh1t3 for traction, wet roads or even tight slow bends, the struggle will be there.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sagalout said:

Now, now boys and gals. Don't forget the proper Q car response is just to wave and smile gently. 😎

While watching 'The 220' in the rear view mirror ... 😉

Edited by Nick_H
  • Haha 1

Bet you guys wish your superior cars only weighed 1,370kg. The traffic light Grand Prix is so childish does anyone really do that in 2019? Driving quickly on wet roads because you have 4WD is not very clever because a heavy car takes much longer to stop on a wet surface than a lighter car. Enjoy your 272/276bhp barges. If anyone wishes to do a track day, any track let me know and you can demonstrate how superior your traction is compared to a Vrs Octavia (better hope it rains to have any chance). Have a nice weekend. Former owner of 2 Mk1, 3 Mk2 and 1 Mk3 Superbs.:D

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Bet you guys wish your superior cars only weighed 1,370kg. The traffic light Grand Prix is so childish does anyone really do that in 2019? Driving quickly on wet roads because you have 4WD is not very clever because a heavy car takes much longer to stop on a wet surface than a lighter car. Enjoy your 272/276bhp barges. If anyone wishes to do a track day, any track let me know and you can demonstrate how superior your traction is compared to a Vrs Octavia (better hope it rains to have any chance). Have a nice weekend. Former owner of 2 Mk1, 3 Mk2 and 1 Mk3 Superbs.:D

Yeah i'm up for a track day ! Let me know when and I'll bring my F-Type R ! 😉

6 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Yeah i'm up for a track day ! Let me know when and I'll bring my F-Type R ! 😉

Someday has plenty of money. Nice to see you have a weekend toy for when the Superb is not up to a challenge. Can it fit 4 large suitcases in the boot like my Octavia or is it a one tricky pony?;)

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Someday has plenty of money. Nice to see you have a weekend toy for when the Superb is not up to a challenge. Can it fit 4 large suitcases in the boot like my Octavia or is it a one tricky pony?;)

OK I admit I dont have an F-Type R but it felt fantastic typing it !

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Littlewiz said:

Hi again - looking for more advice while my order is in transit from Germany and I can't find many comments related to the extended warranty offered on new cars.

Have many people taken the option for an extended warranty? I suspect this is a very personal choice but my view is that as I intend to keep the car for a reasonably long period, taking the extended warranty to 5 years at £630 seems a "prudent" step. If I do decide to sell the car then it would be a positive selling point!!!

I don't normally invest in extended warranties but this seems an occasion where it might be worthwhile.

Like I say interested to hear what others have to say .. thanks in advance

@Littlewiz  Looks like your question has been lost in the noise of the VRS bashing!  

I took the extended warranty, namely for the reasons you indicated.  Had planned it to be a keeper for a few years so felt like a worthwhile insurance policy.  I guess many people don't bother if changing cars every 2-3 years on PCP/Lease deals etc. 

I looked at 3rd party warranties for BMW/Audi against 2nd hand cars and they were much more expensive (e.g. 3yo Audi A6 3.0 BiTi  ~£1K pa) , so on balance it feels like reasonable value for money. 

I wasn't aware that you could add the warranty after the order, the consensus seems to be the manufacturer backed version is the one you want, rather than a dealer add-on which would be through a 3rd party, so if yo do want it I would make sure you are telling the dealer ASAP.

Enjoy your car when it comes , its a peach!

Yeah extended Warranty ! I had it and still have about 17 months left. Had some probs with electric tailgate locking earlier in the year and I bet that would have been a decent chunk....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chas51 said:

@Littlewiz  Looks like your question has been lost in the noise of the VRS bashing!  

I took the extended warranty, namely for the reasons you indicated.  Had planned it to be a keeper for a few years so felt like a worthwhile insurance policy.  I guess many people don't bother if changing cars every 2-3 years on PCP/Lease deals etc. 

I looked at 3rd party warranties for BMW/Audi against 2nd hand cars and they were much more expensive (e.g. 3yo Audi A6 3.0 BiTi  ~£1K pa) , so on balance it feels like reasonable value for money. 

I wasn't aware that you could add the warranty after the order, the consensus seems to be the manufacturer backed version is the one you want, rather than a dealer add-on which would be through a 3rd party, so if yo do want it I would make sure you are telling the dealer ASAP.

Enjoy your car when it comes , its a peach!

Thanks Chas51 -  i was beginning to think my question must have been deemed too daft to be worthy of a response :)

I note your point on adding warranty at the point of order. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it could be done later but I have my reservations so will chase up on this. As you say it seems a reasonable price for what it offers and if it gives me peace of mind for 5 years (well years 4-5)  then that is worth it even if not actually required.

Certainly looking forward to the moment I become a member of this exclusive club.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by Littlewiz
spelling

53 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Probably more like a Mk1 MX-5?:blush

Now you've gone a step too far.  The Mk1 MX5 is a bloody awesome track day car and even at nearly 30 years old is still one of the best examples of how a car should drive/feel; no need for remaps, big BHP etc etc; just a bloody good chassis and miles of miles of blue sky. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Now you've gone a step too far.  The Mk1 MX5 is a bloody awesome track day car and even at nearly 30 years old is still one of the best examples of how a car should drive/feel; no need for remaps, big BHP etc etc; just a bloody good chassis and miles of miles of blue sky. 

Spot on. If anyone thinks an Octavia wagon, pimped or not, is in any way comparable to the way an Mk1 MX5 drives it tells you all you need to know about their understanding of cars and driving overall, this example could not stress it enough.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 3