Build quality of Superb III

mtl

After eleven hundred miles mine are covered in road crud, so looks like this will be an area to clean as often as the exterior rather than occasionally. I hate dirty door jams!

You mean everyone doesn’t do the sills every time they wash the car?  :D

• Like 3

I've had my L&k estate 150 tdi since the 4th december, just over 4,000 miles driven, averaging 50mpg since receiving the car. Nice and comfortable and eats the miles.

Overall a lovely car, but there are niggles. I have a rattle around the steering column/ dash, a wonky glove box lid, bluetooth dropping quite regularly, rough patches on the steering wheel which seem to be deteriorating quickly and a sensor error for the back right tyre pressure monitor.

Its booked in for 26th, my second attempt after having my original appointment with the dealer cancelled for the 6th. Hopefully my little problems can be sorted and then it'll be perfect

Edited by Leaffy

Funny, mine kept opening today whilst I was driving, was driving me mad so I pulled over. Seemed that the left side pin wasn't locating in the hole - possibly a small bit of wd40 on your fingers or slight filing of the hole might sort it out. Eventually I slammed it and it closed perfectly with neat shut lines lol

I know what you mean about the tray open. The manual warns about not leaving it open!  I managed to take mine off but took a while. I have glued mine over holiday but minus the spring and I await a replacement from the excellent guys at Skoda.

So update on Driver's side storage compartment.  After some helpful chap on this forum pointed out that page 90 of the manual stated that it shouldn't be left open (mine was open permanantly because the handle broke off after 1k miles / 4 jan 16) I called Murray Skoda Plymouth on Thu 22 Jan to say I wasn't prepared to drive the car anymore until it was fixed.  To be fair, they said there was nothing they could do to fix it because the part was on back order.  They did tell me to take it in the the 23rd Jan so they could remove the whole compartment - making the car safe to drive (and my right knee safe in the event of a crash) but leaving my lovely 65 plate car with a big hole in the interior trim!  I booked it in, but after sitting at my desk for a few minutes it occured to me how pants this was!  I called Skoda UK who said they would investigate - hey presto when I arrived at Murray they had a whole new compartment with handle, it was all replaced and the car is good as new.  Maybe just a coincidence......  I've had a follow up call from Skoda UK who have given me £50 of 'Skoda Vouchers' - better than a slap in the face.  Overall a mixed experience, but Skoda have been pretty decent and apologetic about it all.  It just goes to show that it is worth pressing a little bit! 

• Like 4

After three months ownership, not a single squeak, rattle or knock. Everything is how it should be. No misaligned or loose parts, everything working as it should (discounting the mysteriously opening hatch - now resolved).

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Superb II was the same. As quiet after four years as the day I collected it.

A sheer delight after owning a Renault Laguna from new that, within weeks, developed more squeaks and rattles than a hamster on steroids.

• Like 4

Going to ask then what's the feeling of the build quality in comparison to the likes or Audi , I mean all part of the same group....etc

It cannot be compared.

You definitely pay a lot for Audi brand, but you also get much better quality materials, better finish, lower noise, etc.

Though also Audis can struggle with some problems ;).

• Like 1

I think in general, the quality of plastics used has deteriorated across the Audi and VW range in recent years, and presumably with Skoda as well. I haven't been in the new A4 so I don't know, but I don't see any difference between the quality of the new Passat and the new Superb.

Though also Audis can struggle with some problems ;).

My brother and sister-in-law had an Audi A4 saloon and even that developed annoying vibration and rattles. They simply accepted it as "par for the course".

When I asked why they hadn't had it seen to, my sister-in-law said all cars creak and rattle after a while and you just have to accept it.

I showed her otherwise (last summer, so I had the Superb II estate at the time which was older and higher mileage than their A4).

Like I said above, maybe I really am just lucky, but I tend to be anal about these things and if my car did develop anything untoward it would be a visit back to the dealership the next day.

Hello all,

I have just registered to the forum, so please be gentle with me  :notme: . Hope to have great fun here.

I registered as wanted to share everything I got about New Skoda Superb. My car was delivered one week ago and already I covered 1,600 miles. 

I bought SE L Exec Avant 2.0 TDi 150 bhp manual. Jungle Green - looks very cool BTW.

So how is the car?

The best is the engine. My last two trips New Buckenham- Basildon and back ended up doing 62.7 mpg on average. Most of the time  without using the ACC - active cruise control. So very pleased. 

The worst thing about the car - ACC, rattling at the dashboard and gear box. 

I know Skoda Superb quite well as owning Superb MK2 I covered 180K miles over 5 years. And the car was brilliant. New one has got very attractive look as a whole package, but there are some disappointments in comparison to previous model.

ACC- sounds good on paper. In real life is bit annoying. If you are less confident driver on motorway, then you will love the system. Have it on all the time and car will allow you to relax and you will hardly notice you are driving. But if you enjoy being the master of the wheel and like to make your own decision, ACC will not be your best friend. Car will slow down when does not have to, will take time to accelerate despite the car in front moved out of your way. I am curious if you will think the same? Let me know.

Rattling dashboard- for a new car worth £28000 a bit annoying. Hope that will go away in time and if not, first service will have to look at this one too.

Gear box- oh my world. I used to read all the info how bad the VW gear boxes are. In my MK2 all was perfect, smooth, quick and sleek. In my the MK3 the reverse does like to not get in the first attempt like it was 10 years old. When I had my test drive, I took DSG option for curiosity. After all, what can be wrong with manual. The shift are longer, they are noisy and sometimes likes to pop in to wrong gear. Never had that experience in any of my previous cars.

Things on average side of matters:

- wind noise and road noise. Car is not as well refined as you would have expected and the radio or phone must be put quite loud to hear everything clearly. MK2 was better.

- suspension - if you can afford a DCC ( dynamic chassis control) TAKE IT. Normal setting is rather soft. I didn't take DCC and that was a mistake.

- wheels - I took 18 inch. They run on 235/40 tyres. In real life you feel like they are 17 inch which is not too bad. But with the suspension set on Normal, it's all too soft for me.

I will come back to the engine. The 150 bhp is really good. it's very economical and does not have this new blue - something system to keep the engine within the EURO 6. The 190 bhp does have it and will keep your running cost more expensive.

My old Superb was the Elegance  2.0 TDi 170 bhp and thanks to the weight loss, the 150 bhp is as quick as old 170 bhp. gives a lot of confidence when you need to overtake.

The Columbus system is very good, but I am still searching for the Home option.

I also notice, the number of options on operating system are gone. At least it feels that way. but I am still learning the car so perhaps I didn't get far enough to find what was available on the MK2.

Hope that helps to anyone who is thinking about buying the New Superb.

Cheers, 

I think in general, the quality of plastics used has deteriorated across the Audi and VW range in recent years, and presumably with Skoda as well. I haven't been in the new A4 so I don't know, but I don't see any difference between the quality of the new Passat and the new Superb.

I agree. the best example is the elbow support on the door panel. MK2 had it half leather half plastics. In MK3 it's all soft plastics, which does not look all fills any more premium. 

ACC- sounds good on paper. In real life is bit annoying. If you are less confident driver on motorway, then you will love the system. Have it on all the time and car will allow you to relax and you will hardly notice you are driving. But if you enjoy being the master of the wheel and like to make your own decision, ACC will not be your best friend. Car will slow down when does not have to, will take time to accelerate despite the car in front moved out of your way. I am curious if you will think the same? Let me know.

Interesting that you find ACC not adequate. Maybe you have the safety distance set to longest, though I do not know if it is ok to use the Audi setting (the shortest) :D .

Regarding bolded statement: this is especially annoying in ECO mode. I suggest that you use Individual setting and set ACC to Normal or even better Sport mode and it will react normally :clap: .

Slightly baffled as to why ACC is a problem. You don't have to use it. Maybe it's that it's nearly useful, therefore frustrating?

The problem is that you cannot use it as a normal cruise control. You cannot disable its ''smart'' function.

And additional problem is that it works only up to 160 km/h (I do not know if Superb has an extra option for up to 210km/h, Passat does have it).

Though according to my experience ACC already in Octavia 3 worked great. But you really had to use Individual setting, because in ECO mode ACC is useless. It takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages to accelerate after the car in the front has moved out of the way.

ACC Is great. For me it was just a bit of a learning curve .... I just anticipate what its going to do and accelerate or brake accordingly if needed before the ACC does it for me if I need to... So... Smooth overtakes before acc slows etc... The thing is to not treat it like an Autopilot but a standard cruise with added goodies :-)

• Like 1

I agree that ACC is a good driver aid. The trick, I think, is that you have to find the set up that most closely matches the way you like to drive. How close to the vehicle in front, response acceleration etc.

I havealso found that understanding how using my turn signal to change lanes when approaching slower vehicles allows me to keep moving at my set speed.

I am not sure that it would be of much use if I reverted to my old pre-retirement 45000 miles a year driving style though. I dont think it was designed to support that style :notme:

• Like 2

Talking of ACC.... Does anyone know if it's possible to set the default distance ?

It Is. The menu Car_setup_ACC last selected distance.

After you select the distance on the lever. Every time you turn on, automaticli placed on  your settings.

Edited by Okapi
  • Like 1

Hello all,

I have just registered to the forum, so please be gentle with me  :notme: . Hope to have great fun here.

I registered as wanted to share everything I got about New Skoda Superb. My car was delivered one week ago and already I covered 1,600 miles. 

I bought SE L Exec Avant 2.0 TDi 150 bhp manual. Jungle Green - looks very cool BTW.

So how is the car?

The best is the engine. My last two trips New Buckenham- Basildon and back ended up doing 62.7 mpg on average. Most of the time  without using the ACC - active cruise control. So very pleased. 

The worst thing about the car - ACC, rattling at the dashboard and gear box. 

I know Skoda Superb quite well as owning Superb MK2 I covered 180K miles over 5 years. And the car was brilliant. New one has got very attractive look as a whole package, but there are some disappointments in comparison to previous model.

Rattling dashboard- for a new car worth £28000 a bit annoying. Hope that will go away in time and if not, first service will have to look at this one too.

Gear box- oh my world. I used to read all the info how bad the VW gear boxes are. In my MK2 all was perfect, smooth, quick and sleek. In my the MK3 the reverse does like to not get in the first attempt like it was 10 years old. When I had my test drive, I took DSG option for curiosity. After all, what can be wrong with manual. The shift are longer, they are noisy and sometimes likes to pop in to wrong gear. Never had that experience in any of my previous cars.

Things on average side of matters:

- wind noise and road noise. Car is not as well refined as you would have expected and the radio or phone must be put quite loud to hear everything clearly. MK2 was better.

- suspension - if you can afford a DCC ( dynamic chassis control) TAKE IT. Normal setting is rather soft. I didn't take DCC and that was a mistake.

- wheels - I took 18 inch. They run on 235/40 tyres. In real life you feel like they are 17 inch which is not too bad. But with the suspension set on Normal, it's all too soft for me.

I will come back to the engine. The 150 bhp is really good. it's very economical and does not have this new blue - something system to keep the engine within the EURO 6. The 190 bhp does have it and will keep your running cost more expensive.

My old Superb was the Elegance  2.0 TDi 170 bhp and thanks to the weight loss, the 150 bhp is as quick as old 170 bhp. gives a lot of confidence when you need to overtake.

The Columbus system is very good, but I am still searching for the Home option.

I also notice, the number of options on operating system are gone. At least it feels that way. but I am still learning the car so perhaps I didn't get far enough to find what was available on the MK2.

Hope that helps to anyone who is thinking about buying the New Superb.

Cheers, 

Setting of home in sat nav

Access sat nav

Go to settings

Go to manage memory and there will be option to enter home address either via map if at home or postcode

@thewinalake I don't have to you it but I want to. 50% of the total mileage with previous car was done having CC on. Since this one is active version the only problem is the distance to the car in front when the whole system take over the control over the speed etc. I have set it up to the smallest gap and still the car will slow down around 250-300ft to the car in front. That is way too soon to overtake on the motorway. The good thing is I can accelerate myself and close down the gap but then it all hits the economy of traveling.

I probably have to find my way of making the tool useful for myself and make it work as well as the previous CC.