7 Degrees this morning: Got your WINTERS on yet?

Chan110

Your (very strange) interpretation of my experience.

I can't recall EVER seeing a 4x4 race up to a junction in the snow and slam the brakes on.. Then watched the look of confusion on the driver's face "Oh. It wont stop"

Do you by any chance happen to live somewhere with occasional snowfall and a lot of Z list celebrities who have too much money and very little sense?

I live in the centre of the Peak District. So maybe get a little more snow than most.

Nah. Just clowns with no idea. Cant believe youve never seen it.. Or maybe your one with a similar driving style for all us lot know.

Anyway. Ive said enough on this. Ill not lower myself to your forever argumentative level.

Enjoy your evening.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Youre welcome Wayne

. You should have come round and done mine unless she's out in it again whilst I'm at work , got soaked again this morning on the bike with a bit of hail thrown in at 7.15

You say it like youve never seen a 4x4 race up to a junction in the snow and slam the brakes on.. Then watched the look of confusion on their face "oh. It wont stop"

Things like that happened quite a bit when the premium SUVs started to be common. It was mostly SUVs you would deep in the ditches during the winter.

• Like 1

Only some over Scotland, Ulster and Pennines I gather and then warmer again for a bit.

Only got the fronts to change on the Jaaag to All Season and then fully converted to fully treaded M&S type tyres.  

Was -2.5c yesterday morning - was out and about at various times of the day with temperatures varying between -2.5c and 3.5c - no issues at all (Rainsport 3 'summer' tyres all round).

Edited by Brian69

Got my Kunho KK18s on the Jaag now, classed on tyreleader as summer but clearly all weather, marked M+S.  Surprisingly stiffer ride, noticeable, good in some ways, ie less body roll on the old girl, but ride a little more jarry.  

Normally would run all season/winters at 0.1 bar higher but will play a but with this to get the compromise.  Great grip for £33 delivered V rated tyres!

Got my Kunho KK18s on the Jaag now, classed on tyreleader as summer but clearly all weather, marked M+S. Surprisingly stiffer ride, noticeable, good in some ways, ie less body roll on the old girl, but ride a little more jarry.

Normally would run all season/winters at 0.1 bar higher but will play a but with this to get the compromise. Great grip for £33 delivered V rated tyres!

Urgh i cant just read 'jag'. Whenever i do.. It goes like Jaaaaggggg in my head.

:D.

One of the two pairs of Kumho KH18s arrived yesterday.

They seem to be classed as Summer tyres on most the websites although they are clearly not ie they are an Alll Season Tyre, M&S stamped etc.

£33 delivered. V-rated (they are for the S-Type Jaaaag). 205/60-16s. Reviews sound good. Proof of the pudding. The Nexen/Roadstones, (H rated I spotted so looking to change them ASAP) seem fine on the front but a recent fishtail power slide and down to the 3mm of tread where I normally change tyres made for two very good reasons to change plus they are a pure summer tyre me thinks.

M&S appears on some high performance summer tyres too. It means very little at all apart from a few specs about the openness of the tread blocks.

Over on another forum I use, winter tyres got a mention today.

Apparently Evo magazine have done a test and didn't say there was much difference in performance unless you were on ice or snow.

Sounds a bit suspect to me.

This review, brought to you by Michelin cross climate tyres ;)

• Like 1

This review, brought to you by Michelin cross climate tyres ;)

Quite possibly, but as I don't buy the magazine I don't know what it said.

I'm far from convinced that winter tyres are essential, but I would expect them to make a difference.

• Like 1

Urgh i cant just read 'jag'. Whenever i do.. It goes like Jaaaaggggg in my head.

:D.

Jaaaaaaaaaagggggg

Edited by lol-lol

Winter tyres are far from essential.

They offer more grip than summer tyres in colder temperatures and adverse weather conditions i.e. winter.

Choice 1) More grip.

Choice 2) Less grip.

Hmmm, give me a second on this one...

M&S appears on some high performance summer tyres too. It means very little at all apart from a few specs about the openness of the tread blocks.

As long as it can handle a bit of snow on those few days we have a dusting.  Notice these "Summer", but clearly not really summer tyres, have a more open tread pattern than "normal" summer.  Slightly noisier, stiffer, but not really a problem and help stiffen up a slightly soggy body anyways.

Quite possibly, but as I don't buy the magazine I don't know what it said.

I'm far from convinced that winter tyres are essential, but I would expect them to make a difference.

I think it depends...

Winters are a great step up. If this wasn't the case they wouldn't be mandated around Europe.

If you drive sensibly on cold dry roads or even above freezing wet roads you'll probably be fine.

If you get caught out on the above or get snow/ice or just very cold weather, you'll be grateful for the winter tyres.

If you look at modern tyres, a lot of the premium tyres have a few full radius tread blocks and not much else.

This is great for summer grip as they're tending towards slicks with a few grooves cut to get rid of water.

When it gets cold/slippery however the lack of tread blocks means there are less edges to get mechanical grip on an object.

The rubber doesn't get hot enough to be sticky enough and you have a problem. This is where winters come in.

When I first started driving the normal tyre was covered in tread blocks and you'd get a lot more grip on snow than on a modern tyre.

I think it's basically a number of factors but as always driving to the conditions (or not driving on a bad day) can do a certain amount.

I for one am very grateful for the extra very cold weather grip of a winter tyre, having had a "special driver" go sliding out in front of me at a junction a couple of years back.

Where they couldn't stop at the junction, I could brake quite hard and actually stopped.

For the small extra cost I'd say they're worth it (Personal view of course).

For those that don't want to run the two sets of tyres, I do think things such as the michelin cross climate or the nokian weatherproof tyres are a good set to run all year.

Good enough to get you home if you get caught out in the winter and good enough in the dry to not have you sliding all over the place.

I see this area of tyres one that will grow. Not the best in either condition, but suitable for most and 80% as good is better than 100% in one season and 10% in the other.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

<SNIP>

If you drive sensibly on cold dry roads or even above freezing wet roads you'll probably be fine.

<SNIP>

Spot on!

A couple of years ago, I was chatting to a guy in Cumbria who (amongst other jobs) delivered milk before most ordinary folk were out of bed. I asked how he had coped with that winter's ice and snow and whether he used snow chains. His response was "No, I just don't drive like an idiot".

SNIP>

If you look at modern tyres, a lot of the premium tyres have a few full radius tread blocks and not much else.

This is great for summer grip as they're tending towards slicks with a few grooves cut to get rid of water.

<SNIP>

This is the point really, isn't it?

Tyre manufacturers are choosing to make "summer" tyres that simply aren't appropriate if there is a bit of water or snow on the roads. It does no harm to their finances if some people feel compelled to change their tyres twice a year rather than choosing an all-season tyre.