Winter tyres which brand for my Octavia?

I'm going to buy a set of 16" steel wheels to put them on. Is there a particular brand that is recommend for the Octavia?

Before the you don't need them crowd pop along. I'll be making several trips to the French Alps in it this winter.

I am now on my 3rd set of Nokian’s and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Any decent branded tyre will OK though.

Take a look in the classifieds if you fancy 16” alloys with winter tyres for the same sort of money as what the (IMO far inflated price of) steel wheels go for.

I have always used Goodyear Ultragrip - I have had 7's, 7 plus and 8's but they tend to be in smaller sizes

I am so close to ordering a set for the octavia and think I will be going for the Continental Wintercontact TS850 P

Does anyone actually know what difference there is between the TS850 and TS850P ?

I think the P is just available in bigger sizes for performance/bigger cars

Edited by GuyVXT

In Switzerland the TCS (like the RAC) do a winter tyre test every year.

Conti TS850s are always highly rated in these tests (same as the TS830 before them):

16" test winner this year:

https://www.tcs.ch/de/assets/testberichte/reifen/winterreifen/dimension-wr-2015-205-55-R16-91H-de.pdf

In 17" form from 2013:

https://www.tcs.ch/de/assets/testberichte/reifen/winterreifen/5170-01-MoBeTCS-Winterreifentest-2013-225-45-R17H.pdf

I have these on my Octavia & I have no complaints. Fuel economy is good, tyre noise is good.

Plus, as they win the awards each year in Switzerland they are quite cheap in comparison with other brands as its what everyone orders.

I also have Dunlop SP Winter Response 2's on my Peugeot & they are great too (very quiet).

However, as other suggested, I doubt anyone would really be able to tell the difference between any of the branded winter tyres.

The big difference is changing from Summer to Winter tyres & finding the improved handling & braking performance in the wet.

+1 for Continentals 

TS850 up to 215 TS850p 205 and over, depends on the size you need - have some of both flavours - equally as good!

If I spent all winter on snow I would look at the more aggressive Nokians (Hakka etc) but for long distance driving winter roads with a bit of snow the Contis take some beating. Quite a good tyre when the weather is good too - which many aren't.

I am now on my 3rd set of Nokian’s and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Any decent branded tyre will OK though.

Take a look in the classifieds if you fancy 16” alloys with winter tyres for the same sort of money as what the (IMO far inflated price of) steel wheels go for.

Continental TS850 is my personal choice, the TS830 were brilliant and these are just as good :)

I've run Conti TS830 on a mini and they were very good.

On my MK II Octy, I ran Nokian WR, Nokian WRg2 and Nokian WR A3. All were excellent in the snow and cold.

I've just purchased a set of WR D4 to go on the steels for the new car.

What I also have is 2 16" vega alloys to sell, one of which has an almost unused nokian winter on it. Details are in the for sale forum if you want more info.

Nokia also have excellent customer service. I've emailed them twice and they have gotten back to me within one working day.

JFI, they suggested a different tyre pressure (2.7 bar) to Skoda (2.4/2.5 bar). Note, my vehicle is a MKII Octy Scout.

Thanks all. Ordered a package from tyre leader with nokian wrd4.

Hi Stuski,

What tyre size did you order? Also, what wheel offset / PCD? Is the PCD the same as the MK2? Just looking at getting some of eBay - there's a couple of good deals!

Or anyone else that wants to chip in too...advice greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Cheers.

Edited by vtec to vrs!

Hi Stuski,

What tyre size did you order? Also, what wheel offset / PCD? Is the PCD the same as the MK2? Just looking at getting some of eBay - there's a couple of good deals!

Or anyone else that wants to chip in too...advice greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Cheers.

I bought these

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/octavia-iii/2-0tdi-20083

I believe they are the same pcd as mk 2. But at £27 each I fancied brand new. (Appear to have increased in price since my purchase)

Tyre size 205/55/16.

Edited by Stuski

• 3 weeks later...

Was keeping my eye on the price of the conti winter contact ts850p when I noticed today the Pirelli wintersotto3 225/40/18 92v xl at 57.60 each on mytyres. Bought 4 immediately at that price. Half the price of the contis

Just have a check on the dates of manufacture of the tyres from MyTyres especially if they are discounted. Use them quite a lot myself but their tyres can be a bit on the old side. not a problem if you do the miles but mine tend to be with me a while so I quite like fresh rubber to start.

Sent a set back to Mytyres as they were over 3 years old when I got them. They swapped them eventually but it was a faff

That was an amazing price!

I have to say, my early impression of the Nokian Weatherproof tyres, in the very mild conditions, since I had mine fitted, is very positive. They certainly grip well in the wet and hang on well in dry cornering.

I must say if I were ever needing to buy 4 new tyres for our O3 Id be tempted by the new Michelin Crossclimates. A v good compromise for those willing to give up just a touch of summer tyre performance for better all weather grip.

Was keeping my eye on the price of the conti winter contact ts850p when I noticed today the Pirelli wintersotto3 225/40/18 92v xl at 57.60 each on mytyres. Bought 4 immediately at that price. Half the price of the contis

Did you end up getting them at that price?

I just got Falken Eurowinters - 449 XL i think. They've been on a day

they've improved the ride on my VRS wagon massively. Its now much much softer and less jarring , as well as quieter

They havent seen any cold weather but im looking forward to finding some snow if it ever comes!