vrs tdi dsg estate mpg

Hi, just taken order of my new vRS. The mpg seems very low. My old tdi vrs manual would average about 40 ish vs official of 49 I think. This one seems to be around 33 vs official of 59. Yesterday I did a longish run in E mode and still only did 45 and I'm sure the old one would be around 50 for similar speed.

It only has 200 miles on it now so I'd guess (and hope) it's going to get better.

Looks to me as the extra 10 mpg official is down to stop start but in the real world it makes no difference.

It will definitely get better with mileage. I know it's not directly comparable, but my L&K is averaging low 50's on a run and it's getting better as the miles go on (around 4K now). Mine is DSG so may be sort of on par with a vRS manual. It'll do around 43-45 just knocking about town which is quite good I think.

Hi, just taken order of my new vRS. The mpg seems very low. My old tdi vrs manual would average about 40 ish vs official of 49 I think. This one seems to be around 33 vs official of 59. Yesterday I did a longish run in E mode and still only did 45 and I'm sure the old one would be around 50 for similar speed.

It only has 200 miles on it now so I'd guess (and hope) it's going to get better.

Looks to me as the extra 10 mpg official is down to stop start but in the real world it makes no difference.

Usually takes a few thousand miles for fuel (&oil) economy to "stabilise". Don't drive toooooo gently all the time - this will bed bores/pistons in better - the longlife oil is almost too good when new!

I initially thought the same re stop/start although in reality it really does seem to make a difference on mine, especially when stuck in my usual commute traffic (I hope the starter motor is heavy duty though)

Edited by bigjohn

I'm certainty not driving gently all the time, it is a vRS after all. Just saying that on sensible runs the mpg is not where I expected it to be. Obviously I don't expect 59mpg but I was expecting it to be better than the old one. (It should be 20% better)

• Like 1

Between 33 and 45, this is what I do with my 1.8 TSI Estate with DSG! Are you sure you got a diesel? :devil:

I get 35 mpg in average over 34000km (~21.1 thousands miles), 45 mpg at best on 70 Miles/h speed limited highways, 31 at very worst on urban/peri-urban.

Edited by JPH0091

That's good news. I really like the car, HUGE improvement over the last one but it will really put a dampener on the experience if the mpg is poor.

Renaultsport is my first love (had 7 and currently own a Clio 172 as a track car) and I'd have bought a 275 Cup S but decided on another Octavia vRS as a sensible car with a bit of fun. If 35mpg is all does I'll feel I made the wrong choice.

Running-in is a thing of the past & unlikely to give you an increase of 20mpg.

Fuel economy is mainly influenced by the driver these days.

The main reason you see an improvement after the first months is you become more familiar & comfortable with the car (smoother with the acceleration, better at selecting a gear in a manual & smoother under braking).

It also the reason many people complain coming from one car & moving to a different brand. (although BMW have class leading diesel engines so its hard to beat these).

My vRS has been consistently around 52-54mpg since I got it up to its current 50k km. I can get close to 60 on a steady (60mpg) run.

If you are only getting 30's & you think you are driving very conservatively, I'd say something was wrong & you should have your dealer check it out.

You can get 30's in the petrol vRS without taking much care.

• Like 1

Running-in is a thing of the past 

I disagree, whilst tolerances have vastly improved so everything "fits" properly so you don't need special wearing oil you are still running new parts against new parts so most moving bits need to wear in together to some extent, especially the bores/pistons. A lot of engines can also experience higher oil consumption during this process. I still maintain the longlife oil is possibly too good for a brand new engine which can polish the new bores which can make a car a bit of an oil burner for a year or two until the piston rings wear a bit especially if driven too gently to start with - not just during initial bed in period. The VAG 2.0pd and original 2.0 8v petrol were susceptible to this. All will eventually wear in anyway

I've "run in" numerous engines over the years and also rebuilt a few in my misspent youth (some time ago). I always used to hone the bores to assist this bed in process

Edited by bigjohn

I disagree, whilst tolerances have vastly improved so everything "fits" properly so you don't need special wearing oil you are still running new parts against new parts so most moving bits need to wear in together to some extent, especially the bores/pistons. A lot of VAG engines can also experience higher oil consumption during this process. I still maintain the longlife oil is possibly too good for a brand new engine which can polish the new bores which can make a car a bit of an oil burner for a year or two especially if driven too gently to start with - not just during initial bed in period. The VAG 2.0pd and original 2.0 8v petrol were susceptible to this. All will eventually wear in anyway

I've "run in" numerous engines over the years and also rebuilt a few in my youth (some time ago). I always used to hone the bores to assist this bed in process

I've put just over 4000 miles on mine and just driven it as I would any other car and it's not used a single drop of oil...after I checked after buying 4 litres of it as it was on offer...oops!

I've put just over 4000 miles on mine and just driven it as I would any other car and it's not used a single drop of oil...after I checked after buying 4 litres of it as it was on offer...oops!

Driving as any other car is the best way, some people too gentle. Can depend on the engine. 

A friend has an Octavia 1.4tsi that needed a couple of top ups (orange light!) from new but has not burnt a drop since - now 5 years old. I bought my 1.4tsi with 14k miles on it and it has never burnt a drop in my ownership. I've got a new canister of oil which still has it's original seal intact! 

My father had a 2001 Octavia 2.0 who I advised not to drive too gently when new - needed a minor top up but then never really used any oil

A friend of his had a Fabia of similar age with the same engine, who "nursed" it from new - he got rid after a year due to oil consumption - the dealer just said it was within tolerance

Edited by bigjohn

Mine is on 32k miles now (just over a year old) and much better mpg return than when first got it. 70mph on long run can put out over 55mpg, my daily commute of 35 mile of various speed a roads is between 45-49 mpg and that not driving Christian style all the time.

I have got used to the kick down and feeding the power in now so think the temptation at first is to try it out all the time, but not all the improvement in jog is down to this.

The missus manual scout 150 is only 2000 miles in and only dies 36-38 mpg currently

I'm averaging 52mpg (calculated) over 26,000 miles in my VRS TDi Manual estate. When it was new the first few tanks were 45-48mpg.
Most trips are above 50mpg, but I only got 45 out of it on Saturday during a brisk run from Manchester to Shropshire. If you're driving it hard I can imagine it'd be lower still, but its very easy to push the mpg figure up.

It does help that my commute is local A roads so I don't have much stop start traffic. The stop start function does make a big difference to me when I'm in towns though.

I always don't understand how you get best mileage at 50-60 when the national speed limit is 70?

Driving 50 ish is fine if your commute is a roads but for most people who drive on motorways then surely a car should be most efficient at that speed?

I know there are other factors in play, wind resistance at faster speeds etc but cruising at 70 and seeing current mpg at 35 (even on a flat bit of road) is annoying.

I always don't understand how you get best mileage at 50-60 when the national speed limit is 70?

Driving 50 ish is fine if your commute is a roads but for most people who drive on motorways then surely a car should be most efficient at that speed?

I know there are other factors in play, wind resistance at faster speeds etc but cruising at 70 and seeing current mpg at 35 (even on a flat bit of road) is annoying.

Unfortunately physics has no respect for speed limits.  Wind resistance is proportion to speed squared.  Thus the aerodynamic drag at 70mph is twice the drag at 50mph.

Just checked the car.

30.9 for the last 15 miles, the wife's commute.

35.9 long term which was only 30 miles

37.9 since last fill which was 260 miles ago.

100 miles in the tank, so 360 total.

My track clio can do that!! (Not on track lol)

Using Shell regular diesel.

Thats a good point - i started using supermarket fuel but now stick to shell (company shell fuel card has fixed price per week which is similar or lower than supermarket prices so no disadvantage cost wise).

I know some don't agree but i believe even the standard shell fuel gives better mpg and performance - and some reason better again filling up around bristol area than in Devon or Cornwall

Just checked the car.

30.9 for the last 15 miles, the wife's commute.

35.9 long term which was only 30 miles

37.9 since last fill which was 260 miles ago.

100 miles in the tank, so 360 total.

My track clio can do that!! (Not on track lol)

I've tsi's with better figures than this!