Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Stick your VIN in the recall checker that was posted earlier... I think you will find All EU5 cars have a recall Inc mine...

Will have to see what happens now.. hopefully we have a dormant version of the software in the UK. .. so it will be removed an that's all...

I tested with a few 2013 to 2015 Superb all included Inc a couple of Fabia

I have already contacted the dealer to say that I will give them 100% support and the opportunity to put it right but if it has any effect on the car performance, MPG etc etc I will be going further...I. e the only solution if it is not to my 100% satisfaction is they (Skoda) buy a 14 month old car for what it cost me, just over £32k and I pay the extra for a new Superb 3 of equivalent spec

I suspect it will not come to that, i cannot see any solution upsetting the customer. ..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've put my VIN number into the recall checker and it says there are no relevant recall campaigns for my vehicle. Does that mean I'm in the clear, or is there a chance that my car hasn't been added to the list yet?

Cool, my VIN was clear earlier but now shows up as having a recall available. Any one contacted their 'preferred service partner' yet, just curious what they have to say :)

Mine was the same appeared late afternoon. ..

We just need to see what the solution is now... but I suspect it will be a while before our cars get done...

Let's hope they are just removing code that was there but never used...

I've put my VIN number into the recall checker and it says there are no relevant recall campaigns for my vehicle. Does that mean I'm in the clear, or is there a chance that my car hasn't been added to the list yet?

Keep checking. .maybe but mine was until about 4.30 so maybe they are adding them

What is you car?

I tried 5 or 6 Superb all had them and a Fabia

• Like 1

I. e the only solution if it is not to my 100% satisfaction is they (Skoda) buy a 14 month old car for what it cost me, just over £32k

I think I can safely say that there is not even the slightest chance of that happening.

There is absolutely no way that they will give you a full refund of the purchase price for a car that's more than a year old.

• Like 3

Thanks - well this should be put into a sticky then right?   Want to know if your car is affected?  Put your VIN into here - http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

That said, sounds like it might still be a work in progress, from langers2k post above if it was clear one moment and not later.  FWIW I'm showing clear on an Octavia Business Greenline III, on the road 04/15

Believe me, it's not been obvious to me checking in every day for the past week or more. If the info is now known - which is seems to be - can this not be placed in a clearly named sticky in each relevant forum? It's kinda nuts we have to trawl through a 38 page sprawling thread in "general chit-chat" when clearly its highly relevant to people's own Skodas. Not sure that "general chit-chat" quite covers it.

It seems to be this one type of engine, EUR 5 right? It's not clear at all to me what models, and what cars, that represents, and yet this information must be known. Grateful for some clarity, and thanks to anyone who can provide it here while Skoda themselves stay quiet.

People are concluding, from the press releases, that it is ea189 type engines which are eu5 compliant. It seems that ea288 type engines are okay but many of them are also eu5 so until official lists are released I think its too early to say totally for sure.

I stand to be corrected but I think ea189's are the 1st generation VW common rail tdi engines fitted in later mk2 octavias and the mk2 superb.

Edited by classic

I think I can safely say that there is not even the slightest chance of that happening.

There is absolutely no way that they will give you a full refund of the purchase price for a car that's more than a year old.

Lol... will see what happens with the solution still love my car. . But if it does need modifing and it is NOT 100% the same we have cars we did not order..

I am sure they would not be stupid enough to find a solution to upset people more...

PORSCHE.     Porsche Macan 2.0 l Diesel.

So is the Porsche not part of this, different engines, different ECU and Software?

There is the answer for the Volkswagen Group.

Fire up production of these engines, order up the New ECU's and get fitting these into the Skodas.

Or just get building them,

you only need to produce 11 million and do a swap for these other cars you sold people. 

As it is some people might be winning damages high enough to buy one new from the Dealership.

EDIT.

Doh, did Porsche never go ahead with 2 litre Macan Diesels just 3.0 litres without the Defeat Device.

Based on Americans. 

Based on some people buy more than 1 car, so might make more than one claim,

based on not taking life too seriously.

There will likely be Car Dealerships & Groups that are going to sue the Volkswagen Group.

Maybe Franchised Dealers no longer Franchised with the VWG,  because they were wanting the new style 

showrooms etc, high standards of facilities, while the Company supplying the cars were possibly making them

part of a Conspiracy to Defraud.

Could it be last of the EU4 engines?

How would I find that out? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but it takes me ages to scroll through it all on my phone.

Also, thanks for your quick responses and patience with me. I'm new around these parts.

There will likely be Car Dealerships & Groups that are going to sue the Volkswagen Group.

Maybe Franchised Dealers no longer Franchised with the VWG,  because they were wanting the new style 

showrooms etc, high standards of facilities, while the Company supplying the cars were possibly making them

What are you on about?

You can't be part of a conspiracy that you don't know anything about.

• Like 3

Mk1 Fab manual say 0.5l/1000km, page 134.

From my manual for 2002 BBZ engine:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/21649558099/in/datetaken/

No doubt, there will be lots of reduced ticket current Skodas and Golfs on the market when (And if, (That's if I'm still about)) it comes to replacing mine. Yippee . . what goes around  . . comes around.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Based on Americans. 

Based on some people buy more than 1 car, so might make more than one claim,

based on not taking life too seriously.

So not actually based on anything as I suspected.

It's been depressing seeing how many people's reaction to this scandal is pound signs with no actual basis at all yet.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7
  • Like 1

You can reset stolen property that you never knew was stolen.

You can get dragged into legal actions against your company because of your suppliers behaviour.

Civil cases against the Supplier / Retailer can cost you enough, without even being dragged through Law Courts.

Lets see how many who are no worse off or have not lost out on anything try jumping on the band wagon.

Hopefully those that are Leasing Cars and Commercials do not get too upset over a vehicle that is not ever theirs,

they are only renting, and getting the benefit of charges and tax benefits that were less than if VW had not cheated testing.

Those that saved money over the past 5 years might want to voluntarily pay a percentage back to HMRC / Treasury.

So, having trawled through most of the 39 pages on this thread, plus Autocar, Auto Express and BBC Business News websites, I still have not spotted any statement that the UK/Euro emission levels were not met by the VAG Euro 5 engines.

Okay, so the engines may have active or dormant emission 'cheat device' software installed but can't one point me to a definitive statement by someone official that states the listed engines failed UK/Euro emission levels?

The popular thinking is that the US EPA emission levels are tighter than UK/Euro levels. So if engines failed the US EPA standards, that doesn't necessarily mean that the engines fail UK/Euro 5 standards.

I saw a quote on the Autocar website from the new VAG boss that the proposed modifications would bring the listed engines to a level that complies to the current emissions standards. Does that mean upgrading the engines to Euro 6 emission standards? Perhaps why it has been said that some cars may require both software and hardware modifications.

If the engines already met Euro 5 regs then perhaps the only mod is to remove the 'cheat device' software and that shouldn't have any effect on the performance or consumption figures. I can't see in that case that anyone has a case to claim compensation or why the car's value should suffer.

Or perhaps I've missed something!

• Like 1

so basically all diesels which where made from 2009 to when the euro6 engine arrived will be recalled

Incorrect. None of the Octy 3s should be affected, and some of them are Euro 5. We have a different engine.

I wouldnt say its got any worse. Same engines as we were told all along.

Vw did exactly this with the Amarok Cayman gave either a full refund or offered a trade up to a higher spec brand new model because they couldn't carry the advertised weight so didn't meet the criteria for a commercial vehicle and the tax implications involved. From memory some of those where 18 months old so a pretty good deal for any customer affected 18 months free motoring.

• Like 1

oh look - a no win / no fee offer from a legal company regarding potential claims...   what a surprise!

As I said earlier - the only winners from this will be the Vultures - I hate em!

UK Vultures say VW scandal could be another opportunity to make a killing

The answer to this is for everyone in the country to complete section asking the Vultures at Lie Night to contact them, spend a lot of time on the 'phone asking them to repeat themselves, make pointless, irrelevant asides and generally waste their time.

• Like 1

Why didn't the MOT tests pick this up ? Surely, the discrepancy between NOX values at idle and at speed should have stood out like organ stops ?

Nick

Because MOT tests for diesels are only a smoke test!!