Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Do you have a source for that? I've seen speculation there will be nox testing in a few years but still nothing firm and certainly not starting as soon as the next 12-18 months.

If they are testing for Nox emissions then it's not going to be just a VW problem as currently many cars fail to meet the EU6 limit under testing (as much as 9 in 10 currently) nor do they meet the CO2 emissions requirements either. Furthermore the nox limits in California are far tougher than even the EU6 regulations, hence the need for the defeat device to get around them which isn't need here to get the nox emissions as the limits aren't that tight for EU5.

John

It was in one of the vw news articles I read citing someone at vosa.

Any NOX testing would use the manufacturer data for that model rather than a blanket level to pass.

A right can of worms has been opened now, and it won't be just vw getting worried

It was in one of the vw news articles I read citing someone at vosa.

Any NOX testing would use the manufacturer data for that model rather than a blanket level to pass.

A right can of worms has been opened now, and it won't be just vw getting worried

VW may have inadvertently started or simply reinforced the killing process for the small urban diesel.......their 'point of difference' may have blown up in their face along with the supposed innocent.

For caravan users maybe a hybrid with regenerative (caravan) braking would be a clean substitute.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. (Its a looonng thread) how done it affect a remapped car? If you took it back to be changed would the map be removed? Also what if you just ignored it and didnt take it back and just carried on regardless?

A quiestion about that recall. Can they force me to go for that improvement?
I was able to pass the mot this year and I'm sure I'll be able to do that next year as well except the situation when I'm not passing because I haven't received that upgrade...

I'm worried about my mapped EGR. Probably I'll have to repeat the action and I'm not willing to spend a single coin for the job once done.

I understand that laws may be different between UK and Latvia but the main idea probably is the same everywhere.

VW have also said the software is installed in cars but never activated as it is not needed .. I. E Europe. . I suspect only strict emission countries need it in which case if can be removed and not cause issues. .

At the end of the day the press and Internet are just full off bull**** and speculation. . Nobody knows what will happen or the solution... even VW as it stands.. we find out in October..

I am sure my car will be fixed and I will be happy. . They have made on big balls up I am sure they will not add to it by upsetting people more... they want to regain trust and keep customers. .

Now signing off

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. (Its a looonng thread) how done it affect a remapped car?

If they find out, they can reject car... (When remapped, removed some parts)

Can they force me to go for that improvement?.

Under EU reg. you have to give your car to process this fix...

Can you post a link to that EU Regulation, and when that Law or Regulation was passed.?

Is the UK Government away to withdraw a Current MOT of Vehicles Listed by VW as one that can be taken in for an attempt at removing the Defeat Device?

Do the UK Government Agency the DVSA / DfT have Tests and Testing Stations that are now ready to test every vehicle 

on the VW list of VIN's before that vehicles next MOT is due.?

Are there plans and arrangements in place to Cancel People VED and refund them and make the vehicle on a SORN

or have them driving illegally?

Are the Insurance Companies ready to make the Vehicle they charged for to Provide Insurance now Invalid 

and then refund the Policy to the Insured if the Vehicle has to be taken off the road?

If owners are under EU Regulations or Law are required to have 'the fix' or take the Vehicle off the road in the UK,

then it will be interesting to see just how many vehicles are forced off the road.

EU Type Approval for the Vehicles will need to be withdrawn, and what was a bit of a VW Crisis 

will become a Disaster for the European Governments and Vehicle Manufacturers and businesses.

VW have not yet got Approval for what they intend starting as a 'Fix; and Service Campaign.

& actually,  the various EU Countries Agencies need to have testing done to be sure 

these are not then going to make the Governments Liable for yet another half ar53d fix by the Volkswagen Group.

NO is produced more so in high compression engines were the turbo is allowed to use higher boost pressures.  So you can either reduce the amount of NO being produced in the first place or treat more of it in the exhaust system.  So VAG will need to fit a better exhaust gas processing system and/or reduce NO production at high boost pressures.

Through the Engine Management Unit software one might expect that the boost pressure is reduced to reduce NO but maybe the revs allowed to rise a bit further as Power =2 x Pi x N x T of course.   Problem with TDIs is usually the peak power revs is at 80-90% of redline where as, for example, the 1.8TSI, the max power comes in at 70% of redline so you cannot do much to keep the max power figure by reducing torque figure but raising revs to keep the power and many would not like the change in engine characteristic.

VAG could fix a more expensive exhaust system to significantly reduce NO and well as a remap to also reduce NO.  Having worked on a rolling road with Piper it will be interesting to see a post fix car's torque curve against it's pre-fix curve.  

• Like 1

Yes but that was coming anyway in George Osbornes Autumn Budget Statement because the UK was already on the warning of pollution in Cities in the UK above acceptable and set limits.

So the Lord gets the headlines now and it all seems like a good idea which it is, 

but then people that complain about Public Money being wasted on this scheme are not going to have much 

of a case.

Problem is.

The Petrol & Hybrid cars on sale in the UK will all need to be Tested again before people are encouraged 

to scrap a diesel and buy a new Euro 6 Emissions Compliant vehicle that uses petrol.

& the Road Fuel Companies and Oil Companies are going to have plenty to say on the Government changing tack 

and reducing the sale of Diesel Fuel in the OK any time in the next few years.

Yes but that was coming anyway in George Osbornes Autumn Budget Statement because the UK was already on the warning of pollution in Cities in the UK above acceptable and set limits.

So the Lord gets the headlines now and it all seems like a good idea which it is, 

but then people that complain about Public Money being wasted on this scheme are not going to have much 

of a case.

Problem is.

The Petrol & Hybrid cars on sale in the UK will all need to be Tested again before people are encouraged 

to scrap a diesel and buy a new Euro 6 Emissions Compliant vehicle that uses petrol.

& the Road Fuel Companies and Oil Companies are going to have plenty to say on the Government changing tack 

and reducing the sale of Diesel Fuel in the OK any time in the next few years.

But the question is which are the real NO and PM polluters ie is in a old Euro 3/4 or a Euro 5?

The scrapage needs to be targeted not just at the oldest and then those trade-ins encourage to go done the small petrol engine route the science suggests. 

Apologies if someone has posted this already, but the article linked below makes it clear that cheating in these tests is regarded as 'normal' in the car industry. In that context VW's efforts look more like Germanic thoroughness - they simply cheated in a more systematic way.

http://report24us.info/article/272197/volkswagen-cars-arent-the-only-ones-releasing-more-pollutants-than-they-should

• Like 1

George Osborne can announce now and again in April for the near future and in time before the next General Election and David standing down, but he has just done the deals in China, so they need time to get organised to make maximum profits from inward investments from what ever George brings in.

Apologies if someone has posted this already, but the article linked below makes it clear that cheating in these tests is regarded as 'normal' in the car industry. In that context VW's efforts look more like Germanic thoroughness - they simply cheated in a more systematic way.

http://report24us.info/article/272197/volkswagen-cars-arent-the-only-ones-releasing-more-pollutants-than-they-should

There's more than a subtle difference between real v test emmissions compared to the knowing installation of a cheat devise to give an undeserved test pass.

For a lawyers perspective it's a world of difference.

• Like 1

Not cheating necessarily but just the indoor test is non representative of deal driving.  Let us have more comparisons across diesel, petrols, hybrids in real conditions.  

Amid the paranoia of some news but not enough news quickly enough, there is no doubt that the VAG brand is damaged from cancelled orders and owners wittering about compensation. That alone makes our cars (even petrol ones) worth less than you'd bargained for. With countries and class action lawyers getting involved, it will continue to bring damaging headlines for months if not years. Although it's a big company, VAG could easily lose lots of market share and franchise dealers as a result, if indeed it doesn't go under or get broken up.

We aren't really as serious about our car's emissions as we should have been in the UK and city pollution reflects that. Petrol and diesel are both pretty bad on the environment but the VAG cheating headline has brought far more focus onto NO than any campaign could have.

I can feel public opinion creating a scapegoat and making VAG diesels and then all diesels part of a pollution controlling witch hunt. MOT should measure NO and it's about time too. The US might make a meal of it but the trend of forcing a reduction in emissions makes sense.

It's sad that VAG have betrayed so many customers. If you've got one, like me, I intend to keep it and run it into the ground as I'll never buy anything else as good for what it's worth now, given the damage to the brand and the hysteria over the deception.

• Like 4

Oh what fun! My VIN no longer shows as having a recall against it using http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions despite it having one yesterday. I wonder if they sneaked round last night and 'fixed' it.

I have a feeling Skoda aren't quite sure what they are doing with this recall yet.

• Like 2