Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Sky News is reporting that VW has stated that 2016 diesel models may have software that could help exhaust systems run cleaner in tests.  It involves the "auxiliary emissions control device" apparently

Static LAB Tests or on the road real life test? If its the former then that's Cheat device MK2

The 1.6 will require new injectors and then remapped ecu and a potential upgrade exhaust ! This also for the 1.2 tdi , however the 2.0 will only require ecu cheat removal

I am not querying your  info but how do you know this, is it from a  " reliable " source.   Mine is 2 ltr, 140  ie  the lower output for that size of cc, so could well need the less amendment of  all? I suppose it makes sense the smaller engines beefed up to get a reasonable performance will need more amendment  than others?.

So all the Euro 6 engines are not fine which isn't what was said in the parliamentary committee hearing....

If the Euro 6 engines were cheating as well, surely VW would have a worse showing here:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/30/wide-range-of-cars-emit-more-pollution-in-real-driving-conditions-tests-show

John

Somebody posted it will be hard to prove loss of performance? Why surely a rolling road printout before and after software change will show if there's any difference.?

But who is going to carry that out, surely not the software  changers, in fact , they have probably been told to avoid potential comparisons at all costs?   I must confess I wouldn't know where to go to get such a comparison.

Hi all,

Had my Rapid since April 15 - shes a 14 plate 1.6TDI SE with 17" alloys and the rooflight... Great car, bit grunty but its a 1.6 TDI so what we expected - we have taken her from 9000 to 16000 miles with no issues and averaging 61mpg on the daily commute to work which is 30 miles round trip.

So yesterday we get the letter from Skoda which says our car is affected ... I understand from VW that the 1.6 engines will require physically work not just a computer mod! this is not good news!...

Has anyone else had this letter... This for me will affect residual value certainly, possibly the tax rate and there needs to be some sort of compensation for this... I understand class actions are being considered....

Thoughts?!

• Like 1

The wife wanted me to talk dirty to her - so I whispered into her ear "Volkswagen Diesel"

Made me laugh, very good, but what you gonna say when V W clean-up their act?

Made me laugh, very good, but what you gonna say when V W clean-up their act?

Hmmmm..........................Have to think of another drip feed oil burner I suppose.

Hi all,

Had my Rapid since April 15 - shes a 14 plate 1.6TDI SE with 17" alloys and the rooflight... Great car, bit grunty but its a 1.6 TDI so what we expected - we have taken her from 9000 to 16000 miles with no issues and averaging 61mpg on the daily commute to work which is 30 miles round trip.

So yesterday we get the letter from Skoda which says our car is affected ... I understand from VW that the 1.6 engines will require physically work not just a computer mod! this is not good news!...

Has anyone else had this letter... This for me will affect residual value certainly, possibly the tax rate and there needs to be some sort of compensation for this... I understand class actions are being considered....

Thoughts?!

Not good news for the 1.6 I'm afraid I have 2 and both will require several hours work , that's injectors coding em in and removal of cheating data and potential exhaust upgrade not sure of the later but yes physical work will be required if you want your fix that is ;)

Any reason why?

Leading up to the VW Diesel Defeat Device scandal has been the VW Petrol Engine high oil use issues.

And timing chain tensioner failures, and lack of longevity of some engines they have been producing in this decade.

They really should have concentrated on Building well and customer services and after sales 

rather than expansion and producing many lemons, dropping that engine and moving on as though 

it hardly mattered.

Chickens home to roost now.

Supposed fuel efficient Euro 5 Emission petrol cars / engines,

so lower emissions, but still saying to customers that 0.5 litres of oil used in 1000 km (621 miles) is acceptable.

Maybe 8 litres of oil required between annual services seen by VW as OK.   Not really very Green.

• Like 1

Any reason why?

VAG still make a wide variety of desirable cars.  Just because the reputation of the diesels is in the bin worldwide, no reason for punters not to buy petrol ones instead?

The design defects in the recent petrols are not well known (in comparison).

Not well known yet.

Different from being an Internet Myth, greatly overblown on the internet as Official Dealers Employees and Customer Services like to say.

EDIT.   VW can maybe run an advertising campaign.

*VAG still make a wide variety of desirable cars.  Just because your reputation of diesels is in the bin world wide,

there is no reason for you punters not to buy petrol ones instead.*

*After all the design faults in the petrol ones are not well known. (in comparison.)*

So you will see a difference in the graph on a rolling road print out both before and possibly after even if it's not peak bhp altering the drivability is just as bad,and worthy of complaint surely.

The whole point of the checking would think.

Had my letter from Skoda about my 1.6cr engine..... the letter said nothing about 7 hours work, new parts, exhaust etc..... is what has been stated above just the usual internet guess work or is this semi confirmed ? My car drives just fine for me, not sure i want to waste a day of my life doing this, the dealer is miles away and i work shifts so do not want to be messing about with this on my day off. May just not bother if its this much work.

Had my letter from Skoda about my 1.6cr engine..... the letter said nothing about 7 hours work, new parts, exhaust etc..... is what has been stated above just the usual internet guess work or is this semi confirmed ? My car drives just fine for me, not sure i want to waste a day of my life doing this, the dealer is miles away and i work shifts so do not want to be messing about with this on my day off. May just not bother if its this much work.

I've been wondering the same as well, I've gone back a few pages but I can't find an actual source for the claims that the 1.6 is going to need a serious amount of work.

John

As posted elsewhere I dodged buying a 1.6TDI with the dealer giving a good deal on a TSI. However if I had got the oil burner, I'd most probably be steering clear of a hurried fix to pacify politicians, as the cars are running well as designed, albeit illegally. Only issue I suppose would be if the Government interfered and failed unmodified cars come the MOT.

TP