Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Da Iawn George nai cario mhlaen fel arfar

Translation from Welsh; "Very Good George nephew carried forward so arfar"

No, I don't understand it either!

I think you find a 40T, or even 44T truck only carries less than 30T and usually more like 20T as the 38/40/44T is the GVW.

Apologies - my mistake - 40T or 44T is GVW - Payload varies from 20T up to about 28T - so that would still be 4 to 6 trips by the Canter Hybrid...   I haven't done the emissions comparison yet though... 

Yerp, further showing a corporate processes issue....

VW says it has found "irregularities" in carbon dioxide emissions levels, which could affect around 800,000 cars in Europe.

The firm said the problem, which it came across while investigating diesel emissions, could cost about €2bn (£1.4bn).  Brands including VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat could be affected, a VW spokesman told BBC News.  The issue mainly affects diesels, but could also include petrol models.  The problem lies in the way certain car types with "smaller engines" were certified to meet carbon dioxide emissions standards, the spokesman added.

Already infuriates me that I pay £130 pa odd for the Fabia HTP and only £30 for the Dacia and the Chevy petrol engined cars even though the Fabia is the least powerful, Grrr.  Lack of development and testing by VAG it appears for diesel and petrol.

• Like 1

VW's own press release...

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Clarification-moving-forward-internal-investigations-at-Volkswagen-identify-irregularities-in-CO2-levels/view/2857367/7a5bbec13158edd433c6630f5ac445da?p_p_auth=4XQhTKiK

Clarification moving forward: internal investigations at Volkswagen identify irregularities in CO2 levels

• Matthias Müller: "Relentless and comprehensive clarification is our only alternative."
  • Around 800,000 Group vehicles could be affected
  • Initial estimate puts economic risks at approximately 2 billion euros

The Volkswagen Group is moving forward with the clarification of the diesel issue: during the course of internal investigations irregularities were found when determining type approval CO2 levels. Based on present knowledge around 800,000 vehicles from the Volkswagen Group could be affected. An initial estimate puts the economic risks at approximately two billion euros. The Board of Management of Volkswagen AG will immediately start a dialog with the responsible type approval agencies regarding the consequences of these findings. This should lead to a reliable assessment of the legal, and the subsequent economic consequences of this not yet fully explained issue.

Under the ongoing review of all processes and workflows in connection with diesel engines it was established that the CO2 levels and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process. The majority of the vehicles concerned have diesel engines.  "From the very start I have pushed hard for the relentless and comprehensive clarification of events. We will stop at nothing and nobody. This is a painful process, but it is our only alternative. For us, the only thing that counts is the truth. That is the basis for the fundamental realignment that Volkswagen needs", Matthias Müller, CEO of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, said, and added. "The Board of Management of Volkswagen AG deeply regrets this situation and wishes to underscore its determination to systematically continue along the present path of clarification and transparency."  In cooperation with the responsible authorities, Volkswagen will do everything in its power to clarify the further course of action as quickly as possible and ensure the correct CO2 classification for the vehicles affected.  The safety of the vehicles is in no way compromised. A reliable assessment of the scale of these irregularities is not yet possible. An initial estimate puts the economic risks at approximately two billion euros.

If VW have to go for bankruptcy protection, where could that leave owners with affected cars if fix not done or not successful?

Just a teensy bit of speculation there.

If VW have to go for bankruptcy protection, where could that leave owners with affected cars if fix not done or not successful?          

Exactly where they were before all this? With a good car, that they like driving?

• Like 3

Matthias Mueller was recently appointed as VW's CEO.

Prior to his elevation, Matthias Mueller was CEO of Porsche.

A day or two ago, it was discovered that Porsche was involved in the diesel chicanery.

This evening VW announced that there was a new issue - not in any way connected with Porsche, no siree.

I am sure that this is just a coincidence and there is no connection between the announcements..

^^^^ PMSL, unbelievable.

Are you vxh26 the greatest VW Fanboy & defender of the brand , but without a VW thinking that they are trying to divert attention from Porsche?

How often have you made jokes and taken the mick at those that have accused VW of dishonesty and deception?

ie, at Me!

The U.S. EPA's claims on the 3.0L engines have been flatly denied by VW.

I'm inclined to accept VW's claim simply because they no pr wriggle room left.

Now CO2 - oh dear, how many quagmires do VW need!

Just a teensy bit of speculation there.

But how many billions of fines and compensation claims on top of the costs to carry out these fixes can VW cover?

Given the sums reported so far, surely they can't have that much more room before bankruptcy protection is their only option to survive?

But how many billions of fines and compensation claims on top of the costs to carry out these fixes can VW cover?

Given the sums reported so far, surely they can't have that much more room before bankruptcy protection is their only option to survive?

I think the intertwined nature of the beast will ensure survival.

TBO have had 1.4lt engines from VAG & having very low readings for the MOTs over the past 20yrs on all aspects of the MOT emissions test I am not worried.

As for claimed MPG,........err all manufactures are way out & it is widely known that the quoted figures are pants & has been since they introduced the tests for that aspect................

I would like to know why there is not more press time on the Vauxhall emissions  which are way higher than the VW cars let alone the fact they keep having loads of more "fatal" problems with their cars............

I really do smell a conspiracy to kick the **** out of VAG........................is someone trying to buy them out at a knock down price to get rid of the competition???

<SNIP>

I really do smell a conspiracy to kick the **** out of VAG........................is someone trying to buy them out at a knock down price?

Somehow I just can't see Goneoffski getting that sort of bank loan - or in fact, any loan, even from Wonga :rofl:

Somehow i think i will not be looking for loans from anyone, or advice from you.

Euro 5 Emissions are what VW will have been looking at, and that will be going back just 6-7 years 

of their Engine Managements.

Some of their Petrol Engines that have had 1 or 2 UK MOT's have had issues with getting a pass, 

at Test Stations.

Oddly but not connected.

the Seat & Skoda 1.4 TSI Twincharger 2009-2012 had  the VED class for the CO2 of 148g /km.

the Same Engines in the heavier VW & Audi were 139 gram.

Then the revised engine in the Skoda stayed at 148 gram,. and in the Seat went down to 139g.

But that is unlikely to be the 'Irregularity that VW are looking at.' 

Owners of cars with those engines were at least paying VED.

The reports seem to show the new Bugatti is still on course!