VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

Mostly spot on, except the cheat kicking in at MOT tests. It wouldn't, 'cos it was designed to recognise/fool the EU5 emissions compliance test, which isn't anything like an MOT emissions test.

It wouldn't need to anyway as NOx isn't measured at MOT.

So why did my garage / mot tester say this ?

You won't hear this on the BBC. 

The Environmental Protection agency in the USA is being investigated/prosecuted for stacking the supposedly independent Clean Airs Scientific Advisory Committee (PMs and NOX panels) with paid cronies.

It's exactly the same corruption of environmentalism/science as in UN/UK/Europe but we don't have the same powers/tireless individuals to track down these scammers and bring them to book here.

Edited by Kandy

You won't hear this on the BBC.

The Environmental Protection agency in the USA is being investigated/prosecuted for stacking the supposedly independent Clean Airs Scientific Advisory Committee (PMs and NOX panels) with paid cronies.

It's exactly the same corruption of environmentalism/science as in UN/UK/Europe but we don't have the same powers/tireless individuals to track down these scammers and bring them to book here.

Do you have any proof of the above.....a link perhaps?

It sounds like a TRUMPed up 'look over there' charge.

Then again, this anti EPA (pro trucking and coal) lobbying mob look likely........not sure if you'd call them unbiased though

http://eelegal.org/

Faux News is all over it .......say no more.

Edited by Ryeman

The New York Times reports the TOTAL U.S. settlement costs will be $US14.7 billion including buybacks and compensation for owners.

Next Europe I guess for the lawyers

Edited by Ryeman

With no talk of diesel development and pushing Electric, hybrid and the cleanest petrols on the market it's not hard to see VAG's new direction.

Lee

With no talk of diesel development and pushing Electric, hybrid and the cleanest petrols on the market it's not hard to see VAG's new direction.

Lee

somewhat like Kodak Eastman they just saw the digital camera penny drop :whew:  :zzz:

• Like 1

That's the 'good old US of A' for you.  They're not going to be happy till they have squeezed VW for every 'penny' it can.

• Like 1

That's the 'good old US of A' for you.  They're not going to be happy till they have squeezed VW for every 'penny' it can.

Absolutely and get every dirty diesel ie without SCR off the roads for the sake of public health.  Sadly not happening in Europe as German goverment owns 20% of VW and no one in Europe wil upset German government to do what is right ie retrospectively fit SCR or replace the engines for petrol ones.

Edited by lol-lol

Absolutely and get every dirty diesel ie without SCR off the roads for the sake of public health.  Sadly not happening in Europe as German goverment owns 20% of VW and no one in Europe wil upset German government to do what is right ie retrospectively fit SCR or replace the engines for petrol ones.

The way things are going they might have been better to buy back/replaced all the cars than go down this route.  Sadly, they would have to been able to sell the old 'dirty' ones on in many other parts of the world.

It does go to show how even the biggest company's can struggle if they focus all there efforts, primarily, on one technology.  Bad strategy is then followed by even worse decision making pushing, in this case,  the diesel engines beyond there capability as regulations are ever expanded.  Sadly large company's with layered managements are often unable to react quickly enough to the markets/regulation and end up in the proverbial situation of ' rearranging the chairs as the Titanic sinks".  In addition all there products are affected as they base all the car designs on similar chassis and engine configurations, great idea for cost saving at many levels but has come to blow back in there faces big time and limits innovation within the different parts of the groups.

The way things are going they might have been better to buy back/replaced all the cars than go down this route.  Sadly, they would have to been able to sell the old 'dirty' ones on in many other parts of the world.

It does go to show how even the biggest company's can struggle if they focus all there efforts, primarily, on one technology.  Bad strategy is then followed by even worse decision making pushing, in this case,  the diesel engines beyond there capability as regulations are ever expanded.  Sadly large company's with layered managements are often unable to react quickly enough to the markets/regulation and end up in the proverbial situation of ' rearranging the chairs as the Titanic sinks".  In addition all there products are affected as they base all the car designs on similar chassis and engine configurations, great idea for cost saving at many levels but has come to blow back in there faces big time and limits innovation within the different parts of the groups.

Lots can be done, tweak many of the engine parameters to ensure NOX and PMs are drastically reduced but the car will feel very different and many owners will not want to drive then.

Renault has recently done a similar tweak on their 1.5d engine to cater for this ie make the emission systems work better at the lower temperature ie 10-19C that we oft drive in within Northern Europe but the answer is to only allow electric cars and buses/truck fitted with SCR or electric vans and hydrogen buses as are in London.

Edited by lol-lol

Absolutely and get every dirty diesel ie without SCR off the roads for the sake of public health. Sadly not happening in Europe as German goverment owns 20% of VW and no one in Europe wil upset German government to do what is right ie retrospectively fit SCR or replace the engines for petrol ones.

I hope the ssme wont be said for getting them off the road in England cos ive got an octavia diesel 2010 and I cannot affotd to buy another car I am stuck with wot ive got

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

There will be a country somewhere that will want them. Somebody ships the car less ECU, dpf  etc in containers somewhere and someone will make knock off copies of the ECU and not bother about the dpf which was a load of trouble anyway. Imagine a country similar to Cuba that had to put up with all those old cars getting their hands on newish VAGS with a few bits missing! I like the idea of recycling. If they break the cars down creating an alternative aftermarket for cheap parts, won't this affect VW's parts sales?

The U.S. EPA has nailed down all aspects of 'disposal' including export of emissions components without specific approval from importing countries I gather.

I hope the ssme wont be said for getting them off the road in England cos ive got an octavia diesel 2010 and I cannot affotd to buy another car I am stuck with wot ive got

A new mapping can make the NOX production a lot less as this occurs at the high cylinder temperatures but unfortunately the VRS engine (170 hp) would preform more like a 11-140 hp engine, torque would be less too but it would go on and last longer too probably.  mAy hav e to be some restrictionon such engines entering big cities at times of high pollution too. London plans to do this by 2020.

The EPA will stick to the 'letter of the law' and we must conclude that VW are unable to make the engines comply whatever they do. Recalling and scrapping the car seems a nuclear option which sounds like they have discounted retrospective fitting of AdBlue if  that was technically possible, although I would have thought cheaper and a face saving move of sorts for their brand.

Recalling and scrapping the car seems a nuclear option which sounds like they have discounted retrospective fitting of AdBlue if  that was technically possible, although I would have thought cheaper and a face saving move of sorts for their brand.

I have got to believe that it would be possible to fit the AdBlue tank and kit into all the cars. In effect that is what they did with the Yeti FL and the 150 Euro 6 engine. Not ideal as the filler for the tank is in the boot but acceptable. This would have got a lot of governments and the like off their backs.

• Like 1

The VW Group do not even have Approval for simple EU Vehicles Fixes for all vehicles, Software and cheepo intake enhansements.

Anything is possible. and even possible aftermarket.

Then the V5's / VED need changing / revised and the Systems on different engines / vehicles would need to meet new EU test results etc etc

So the Volkswagen Group could set up fitting centres at Dealerships or where ever.

That would be one major Retro Fit which once doing would then need each inspected.

Rather like LPG fitting.

?

Has anyone heard of any company that Retro Fits Adblue systems to Non Factory Build Adblue vehicles?

If they bring it in that stuff like that to be fitted then I would expect a buy bk scheme to be offered as that wud not be the car I bought. Also I hope the "so called update" never materialises either as I wud not have it done unless there was compensation or buy bk

I have got to believe that it would be possible to fit the AdBlue tank and kit into all the cars. In effect that is what they did with the Yeti FL and the 150 Euro 6 engine. Not ideal as the filler for the tank is in the boot but acceptable. This would have got a lot of governments and the like off their backs.

Yes, but whilst it is governments and lawyers that matter in the short term, it is long term brand image and customers that will allow them to survive. Retro fitting Adblue if it was feasible not only fixes the problem, but improves brand image and perception that the VAG group might actually be concerned about environmental issues. If all their EU5 vehicles came close to being an EU6 after modification, the enviro groups would hail their lobbying as a success and VW might still keep their market with a fix costing less but taking longer to complete. Customers whose cars they have fallen in love with who now have them taken away and compensated are unlikely to come back and buy another because compensation doesn't mean confidence. Confidence drives customers to buy at the higher price end and generally it's price and quality for the cheaper cars.  Buyback compensation will kill their brand loyalty and they will have to find new customers whilst other brands move in to take their market share. Just announcing you are going to produce electrical vehicles is too late to change the attitudes of disaffected owners.