VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

The engine that had problems with the balancer module / oil pump drive train issues was the 2.0 PD in NON transverse orientation e.g. Audi A4&A6, Skoda Superb I 2.0. The module excessively stressed/wore the drive-train that fed it (chain + hex shaft) , unfortunately this same gubbins also drove the oil pump - or not when it failed  :devil:

Transverse engines were not affected by this because they were not fitted with the balancer module .

In addition the 1.9 PD 130 in any form was NOT affected by this. In my view this was the best VAG 1.9 diesel engine

Edited by bigjohn

I dont think any software has an ageing problem. If it worked when created it will carry on working for ever.

Of course the processor may fail but far more likely  is that sensors feeding data into the engine management unit will fail or become faulty.

The cost of replacing sensors may well become prohibitive. Diagnosis "should"  be easy if there is good error logging built-in.

Normal PCs are relatively cheap to repair - they all use standard parts and are produced in massive numbers and therefore cheaply.

In ten years little will be relevant in the sector.

Look back 20 to see the level of change in 10 years time.

Edited by Ryeman

I dont think any software has an ageing problem. If it worked when created it will carry on working for ever.

Of course the processor may fail but far more likely  is that sensors feeding data into the engine management unit will fail or become faulty.

The cost of replacing sensors may well become prohibitive. Diagnosis "should"  be easy if there is good error logging built-in.

Normal PCs are relatively cheap to repair - they all use standard parts and are produced in massive numbers and therefore cheaply.

The software in my car , which has only done 15550 miles, already is playing up, works when it feels like it. What is shown in the  central dashboard screen goes blank now and again and leaves me without Sat nav, radio, map, reversing aid and  anything else which should be there.  Comes back a few days later. A friend had Rovers , he a meticulous owner, had trouble with engine management " chip " and eventually the car had to be scrapped. Gawd knows what  lays in wait when our current softwares decide to  do something with the brakes.   And what  does electro mechanical steering  entail?. Or fly-by-wire.

Interesting to read about Japan's 'fuel cell' strategy getting so much financial support from the Abe govt for sales bait and infrastructure on top of the multiple billions Toyota, Honda and Nissan are committing.

Reported that the energy to create the hydrogen is likely Australian black coal.....to produce the energy to produce the gas to produce the energy to drive the electric motor.

What a convoluted world.

I guess the infrastructure standard will be determined by the Japanese.

Interesting to look at the figures. VW down 20%, Seat down 24%, Skoda 11% and Audi 4%

I can understand Audi holding up ok with large fleet buyers and badge snobbery, but I'm not sure why Seat are worse than VW and Skoda less.

I would guess that VW has done pretty badly because it is the most frequently mentioned.

I always think of Audi as an "image" brand, mostly bought by fashion conscious people with more money than insight.

The huge Seat drop does seem strange; isn't Seat considered to be the "most cost conscious" buyer's choice? Therefore more likely to be a "sensitive" sector of the market perhaps?

Latest update from vw which says that to sort problems with nox in 2.0tdi will require software update. I have got this feeling that new software with effect power or will be more harmful for engine for instant they will try to increase burning temerature to make cat work more efficient.

Do you know guys anybody who could copy my current ecu map just in case. So if I would like new software I could reverse it to what it was?

Edited by thomasbham

Latest update from vw which says that to sort problems with nox in 2.0tdi will require software update. I have got this feeling that new software with effect power or will be more harmful for engine for instant they will try to increase burning temerature to make cat work more efficient.

Do you know guys anybody who could copy my current ecu map just in case. So if I would like new software I could reverse it to what it was?

any remap place can do that for you, 10 minutes job, I have done mine before remap and after...

The engine that had problems with the balancer module / oil pump drive train issues was the 2.0 PD in NON transverse orientation e.g. Audi A4&A6, Skoda Superb I 2.0. The module excessively stressed/wore the drive-train that fed it (chain + hex shaft) , unfortunately this same gubbins also drove the oil pump - or not when it failed  :devil:

Transverse engines were not affected by this because they were not fitted with the balancer module .

In addition the 1.9 PD 130 in any form was NOT affected by this. In my view this was the best VAG 1.9 diesel engine

2005 B6 Passat were transverse engined and the Passat suffered extensively from early 2.0PD issues (BKP Engine). The balance shaft was also fitted to early transverse engines. models.

2005 B6 Passat were transverse engined and the Passat suffered extensively from early 2.0PD issues (BKP Engine). The balance shaft was also fitted to early transverse engines. models.

I knew about early 2.0 PD issues especially re injectors but I didn't think the balancer module made it into any transverse models as I thought it was introduced for the Audi to improve vibration refinement- new one on me :sweat:

One to watch out for then, presumably any 2.0 pd engine should be classed as at risk until proven innocent!

Balancer shafts have caused problems on all sorts of engines over the years including Ford V4, Saab 2.3. Some of the VAG 1.4 3 cylinder diesels also have them

Edited by bigjohn

Interesting to look at the figures. VW down 20%, Seat down 24%, Skoda 11% and Audi 4%

I can understand Audi holding up ok with large fleet buyers and badge snobbery, but I'm not sure why Seat are worse than VW and Skoda less.

Raw figures don't answer the demand v supply equation.

U.S. figures are also down but partly due to supply issues.......some models withdrawn from sale.

People have removed them because of purported performance increase/hindrance, a few BHP or so, and the engine's greater willingness to rev.

No real specific weakness other than wear and tear that comes with very high mileage, or on cars around 20 years old and older. And then no more than other oily bits, which on all cars cause all sorts of problems after a while.

Rarely features (compared with other mechanical components, such as turbo, throttle body, CPS, DI cassette, Xenon headlights...) on Saab forums/fora.

Any recommended garage near Birmingham?

Derby area if interested, they have done very good job, pleased with that....had a choice of power or eco remap...they will provide with a results and it is up to you to choose one...

Re a All New 2015 Fabia 1.4TDI Estate Co2 / MPG

If Averaged means that every Gallon (4.546 litres)  used over 2,000 miles meant that a tankful of say 10 Gallons took you 580 miles that seem pretty damn good. Well IMO.

With the Euro 6 3 Cylinder 1.4 TDI being on the VW LIst of 'Irregularity' engines, VW / Skoda should be getting in touch if they have not been already.

Funnily enough I don't get 580 miles to a tank......so it spurred me on to work it out:

I have been trusting the on board computer MPG, thinking it would be accurate to within 2-3 MPG

Since I have had the car I have spent £656 on diesel, which I have averaged at a price of 115.9 per litre.

This works out to be 124.53 gallons over almost exactly 6000 miles.

Now my car reckons that over a 2000 mile period it achieves 58 MPG (supposed to be 78 MPG)

It has averaged since March 23rd .........48.18 MPG........a whole 10 MPG less than the computer reckons.

Now this is a full 40% less than the car was tested at in lab conditions.

This has made me very wary bearing in mind the current VW situation, are they telling the cars to enhance the MPG? and assuming the driver will believe that figure?

It all seems a bit strange to me.

I will be booking my Fabia 1.4TDI SEL DSG Estate into my supplying dealer for tests, as 48 MPG is not acceptable.

Never seen or heard that one.

The Saab 2.3 had balancer shafts - many people removed them - other than that great engine!

The Saab 2.0 of similar design did not have balancer shafts - also great engine

I will be booking my Fabia 1.4TDI SEL DSG Estate into my supplying dealer for tests, as 48 MPG is not acceptable.

Indeed - I get close to that with my Superb  1.4 - er petrol (tank to tank - not on board computer)

Edited by bigjohn

kevrs16,

The investigation is happening now on 'EU6 Irregularities for Co2 / MPG Testing and Certification,

it is just the Media seem to be overlooking that.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Yes thanks, I know.

My car is on that list, and I have been in contact with Skoda UK, but they are ignoring me currently.

Sounds all too familiar.