Which engine is most reliable and has least problems

Dazkim

Hi I'm looking at getting a fabia but would like to know which is the best engine to go for.

I will be doing around 100 mile a day Mostly motorway .

The engine I'm looking at are.

1.2 tdi

1.4 tdi

1.6 tdi

1.9 tdi

2.0 tdi

I'm looking at cars between 2007 to 2011.

Any advice would be appreciated .

CHEERS DAZKIM

I would say the 1.9 PD TDI is a well proven reliable lump. Its not without its problems and now the old technology it was based around has been phased out. It also has no DPF or modern emissions crap bolted onto it.

The old 1.4 PD TDI uses the same tech and doesn't have a DMF to go wrong either. Nice little engine for a small car

I skipped the early generations of 2.0 PD and 2.0CR because they seemed to be riddled with problems such as oil pump drives failing and the DPF's have gotten a lot better since then. This is purely my opinion of course, there are a lot of people that have had faithful service out of their 2.0 PD and such like.

Edited by SuperbTWM

As said the 1.9 TDI is a sound motor, unless you get a BXE version which can throw a conrod through the block at any time it fancies. I'm just about getting up to 140k in my 2.0ltr BKD PD engine, with nothing more than routine servicing and an anti shudder valve.

The most reliable fabia diesel is the 1.9 SDI but its only got 64 horses and seems to munch front suspension bushes and stopped being sold in 2005. I found it very nice to drive though and could chug along the motorway at 80 most of the time.

The 1.4 TDI appears to have occasional problems with the lube oil pump which may be related to its drive. We run 2 of these engines so not worrying me, but they occasionally appear for sale with seized engines. The 1.2 and 1.4 TDI Greenlines's plus I think all 1.6 TDI's also have DPF's to worry about, although your long commute may negate this problem.

Edited by KeithCheetham

Hi I'm looking at getting a fabia but would like to know which is the best engine to go for.

I will be doing around 100 mile a day Mostly motorway .

The engine I'm looking at are.

1.2 tdi

1.4 tdi

1.6 tdi

1.9 tdi

2.0 tdi

I'm looking at cars between 2007 to 2011.

Any advice would be appreciated .

CHEERS DAZKIM

Cross off 1.2 TDi and 2.0 TDI as they aren't available within your specs.

I have a late 2009 1.9 tdi series 2 III remapped to 140ish. Its gruff at times but excellent torque and acceleration.

Just change the oil regularly and it gives supreme reliability....... Its just goes and goes and goes ad infinitum.

You can't buy a new one though. Mine is last model date.

Edited by promethian

I would have the 1.9TDi over the newer 1.6CR TDi any day.

Been very disappointed with the newer 1.6CR in our 10 plate Ibiza - EGR issues, poor torque and fuel consumption no better. Not had DPF issues but have had this mapped out along with EGR and more power. It is quieter than the PD though.

Dan