Tar and Glue Remover - options?

samuir1974

Probably been asked quite a few times i'm sure - but i have been asked twice today at work...

What Tar remover are you using or whould you recommend?

So thought to start a dedicated thread - so you can all chip in with decent, cost effective options for anyone looking to buy...

Feel free to highlight your own recommendations and preferences below..... :thumbup:

My tuppence worth:-

First one i ever used was AutoSmart Tardis - Very effective, cheap and reliable.

Currently using Autobrite Direct AD - Just the Tonic - and sticking with this for now. Normally get it in the Autobrite Xmas sale and one 500ml bottle lasts a year at least with our two cars.

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/just-the-tonic-tar-glue-remover.html

new_website_pics_394.jpg

• Like 2

Started with Autoglym Tar remover. Effective but hard work.

Valet pro tar and glue remover tried secondly and wasn't a fan.

Best I've used is Auto Finesse - ObliTARate to date.

Krystal Kleen Details Tar Tastic is next on my list or AD just the tonic

• Like 1

I've tried a few from cheap Auto Smart Tardis to CarPro Tar-X, Gyeon Q2M Tar and a couple of others, the best and what I still use is Auto Finesse ObliTARate.

Polished Bliss have it for £9.00 for 500ml with free U.K. delivery.

• Like 3

I've tried a few from cheap Auto Smart Tardis to CarPro Tar-X, Gyeon Q2M Tar and a couple of others, the best and what I still use is Auto Finesse ObliTARate.

Polished Bliss have it for £9.00 for 500ml with free U.K. delivery.

Some good responses guys - much appreciated and keep 'em coming.

Especially interested in the deals such as Svend highlighted above - perfect! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I was talking about this at work the other day. I've still got plenty of my 5l of tardis left, but it is very potent stuff. The new Superb has seen new paint at the back and when I applied Tardis to it, it didn't like it one bit. It went milky and streaky. Thankfully it polished out.

I think I'll try something new. Some great suggestions above. I'll be monitoring this thread!

• Like 3

I have used white sprit a drop or two on a cloth removes it instantly, then wash the car. The benefits are you can control it's aplication in u don't get any product of areas that don't need it, and of course as little rubbing is needed the chances of scratching are reduced, white spirit is very effective as it's distilled from crude oil.

• 1 month later...

Just recently finished my AD Just the Tonic which is great for tar removal and one I'd easily recommend folks.

Replaced it with EZ Car Care TGR as it was on sale.

Tried it on one or two minor spots....very effective

• Like 1

I use Just the Tonic because bought in bulk during Autobrite Xmas Sale, I wouldn't say it was any better than Tardis.

The best I have used was a green slime Tar and Glue remover from Imperial Wax received in a Waxybox sample, ultra thick green snot without that solvent stench and worked a treat due to huge cling time.  Dont think it made full production though.

• Like 1

Tried a few myself over the years...

Carpro Tar-X

Valet Pro Citrus Tar

Autoglym Intensive Tar

Auto Finesse ObliTARate

EZ Car Care GTR

EZ is great. Used today. Impressed.

Valet Pro didn't do much for me at all.

Autoglym was quite impressive, takes a bit of work but.. I

Auto Finesse ObliTARate is my favourite to date.

Carpro Tar-X is also a good a good product but I had the mixed one with Fallout remover. The two in one isn't so good if I'm truly honest.

Just my two penneth..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got the AG intensive tar remover.  I have to use quite a lot of it though.  I didn't have a spare spray bottle either, so I literally had to resort to squirting the product directly onto the car to give the needed contact time, then run and troublesome spots by hand (bare skin usually) then followed by a rinse.  I learned the hard way that it's essential that tar remover is thoroughly rinsed off before using the clay bar - that's an experience I'm not keen to repeat!

• Like 1

I used Gyeon Tar on the Superb this week, as it was caked in the stuff. To be fair I'd taken delivery from the dealer 'untouched', and not only was the transport wrap caked in tar but so was most of the paintwork, glass and wheels. I couldn't believe how much tar was actually on the glass, the rear screen especially. :o Spray on, dwell for five minutes, and spray off and the job's a good 'un. I haven't used others to compare it to, but it definitely did the job. The whole car was running in liquid tar and wax after a minute or so. It made short work of all the glue on the windows too (from the transport paperwork). 

• Like 2

Sounds good. It's why I get a dealer to just leave it wrapped up.

At least you know it's been done properly, and without any damage that way - because you've done it yourself :thumbup:

• Like 2

I've used white spirit in the past, but been using Autglym tar remover since getting a little more serious about detailing (THAT IS YOUR FAULT!  :D )  I find a drop on the cloth or a small drop on the tar spot, wait 10 seconds, wipe, normally gets it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for ObliTARate from me. It removed baked on pine resin that Autoglym didn't touch. I always use tar remover on a cloth to spot clean although I notice a lot of people seem to spray across panels and I wonder if some of these products are pretty harsh to do this and it's done for photographic effect