How do I access the VCDS on my Skoda Octavia

You mixed up some terms obviously, VCDS is software running on PC, and you need original cable to connect your PC to your car to do software tweaks.

Edited by Croat
  • Like 1

@ M12MKD

What options did you add and in what way did it help to have the VCDS?

I'm now looking for ways to fit my O3 with navigation on top of the existing Bolero/Canton or instead of it.

Some details: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/389835-octavia-3-navigation-upgrade-options-ideas-thoughts/?p=4540882

Do you think the VCDS would be enough to facilitate the software coding needed to replace the Bolero with e.g. Columbus?

Edited by wlange

You could always look up the VCDS Map that shows you where Briskoda Members that have VCDS are located and then contact them.

Most like myself would do it for either free, few beers or a bit of cash. There are quite a few now with Full VCDS especially in the UK.

You could always look up the VCDS Map that shows you where Briskoda Members that have VCDS are located and then contact them.

Most like myself would do it for either free, few beers or a bit of cash. There are quite a few now with Full VCDS especially in the UK.

Looks like your in Notts, whats your favourite beer? Will be collecting my Octavia next month and want a couple things activating if your up for it?

Did someone make such upgrade (still maintaining all the canton functionality)? What would I need to do / is there a guide or something?

As for the beer, that could be safely provided in (in)appropriate amounts...I'm now in Munich and could be your guide to Oktoberfest ;)

Where do I find the VCDS map?  :happy:  :thumbup:

Looks like your in Notts, whats your favourite beer? Will be collecting my Octavia next month and want a couple things activating if your up for it?

Favorite beer is the wet variety basically anything but Guinness. I can probably help, My range of mods so far quite limited - Changing Lights behavior Coming Home, leaving etc. Done a few Blu-tooth installs. So you might have to do some homework and find out what the coding requires.

Favorite beer is the wet variety basically anything but Guinness. I can probably help, My range of mods so far quite limited - Changing Lights behavior Coming Home, leaving etc. Done a few Blu-tooth installs. So you might have to do some homework and find out what the coding requires.

There were a few I wouldn't mind, mainly cornering fogs, remote close for boot (ordered power boot) and mirror dip in reverse, traffic sign recognition. Think that's it.

It's worth mentioning before people go out and buy vcds that you can seriously brick your car if you don't know what you are doing and get it wrong!

Actually that is very hard to do with VCDS, you would have to try to cause problems. Vag can pro however can do real damage.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It's worth mentioning before people go out and buy vcds that you can seriously brick your car if you don't know what you are doing and get it wrong!

I dont wish to **** on anyone's chips either but in the interest of transparency, and full disclosure, if you engage with someone to enable features on your car, you should be very clear that it is possible you could end up with a car that wont work, however unlikely that is, it's still a risk.

It's just risk/benefit, and it's definitely a really useful tool that can save you a fortune, not just enabling, but diagnosing. Most dealers charge you just to pull up fault codes nowadays.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

Actually that is very hard to do with VCDS, you would have to try to cause problems. Vag can pro however can do real damage.

If you have it and know how to use it yes it's easy but if you get into the long coding and change something you shouldn't, oh bother!

Just putting it out there for people to be weary if they are going to dabble with things. There are some great guides on here to follow though.

If you have it and know how to use it yes it's easy but if you get into the long coding and change something you shouldn't, oh bother!

Just putting it out there for people to be weary if they are going to dabble with things. There are some great guides on here to follow though.

If you just blindly start pressing buttons you will have some problems. But you are very unlikely to damage anything or render it undriveable. Even if you randomly changed things in the long coding (with the exception of 1 or 2 very specific things) working out what is was originally set too isn't going to be too hard.

Even doing things like changing good old byte 18 can be sorted with the dealer kit or VCP.

If you just blindly start pressing buttons you will have some problems. But you are very unlikely to damage anything or render it undriveable. Even if you randomly changed things in the long coding (with the exception of 1 or 2 very specific things) working out what is was originally set too isn't going to be too hard.

Even doing things like changing good old byte 18 can be sorted with the dealer kit or VCP.

Sure thing don't disagree at all with you! But you do know what your talking about, have lots of experience and access to people/ other equipment who can help if it goes wrong.

The op however sounds a novice and may not be so fortunate and end up doing more harm than good in desperation if thing went south.

Just want new people to be careful.

There was a guy on here the other week who asked what oil to use as his oil lights come on and he hadn't checked the oil ever in 15000 miles as it gets done on a service doesn't it!?!.....what's easy/normal for some is quite different for others.