Mk III Octavia Estate - Design flaw niggles vs. Mk II

OK, so I have my hands on a MKIII Estate having owned a MKII Estate, both with the variable height floor.  I'd be interested to see if my niggles mirror your own.

Boot layout. 

MKIII has an infill so that the two wider post wheel arch recesses have a floor level with the variable floor.  Visually you think - 'cool - look at all that boot floor space' - in practice I think the MKII recesses and their fit on covers worked better for storage - you could stuff things in there an and they didn't go everywhere.  At the moment hook-side Velcro will rule, but it will ruin the finish of the carpet covered sides and bases and I need to attach it to EVERYTHING.  Fire extinguisher holder - well it didn't fit my extinguisher - more velcro, first aid box fastener - didn't fit my first aid box - more Velcro needed, All the little bits and bobs - currently under the variable height floor wedged still with travel blankets.  Even recesses to floor level would have been of more practical use as would some purpose built closures each side as we had in the MKII.

Folding blind to hide boot content - where has the useful tray gone that used to be just behind the head-rests?  The kids have no-where to put their sun-blinds now and I have no-where to put he 12V muli-port adaptor that I run out of the boot.

I also think all the little storage nooks are smaller - the door recesses don't seem as big - and no beaker slots in them, the glove box isn't as big neither is the storage box under the front passenger seat.

Consequently I've spent £30 on storage bags with Velcro fittings to go in the boot and have spent ages re-arranging where I normally store things. 

My biggest niggle so far is what Lemon in the Skoda design team decided the best place for the strut for the bonnet was slap bang next to the filler for the screen wash!!!  Next purchase is going to need to be a funnel with a bend in it!

So, has anyone else had any niggles with their MKIII

• Like 1

Theres a whole topic on this but here's some.

Fuel tank reduced to 50L.

Bonnet catch on LHS at passenger door which has to be opened to release it.

If you use the CD player a lot its in the glove box.

No blind spot portions on the wing mirrors.

Wing mirrors much smaller than the MK2

Door sills hold a lot of water.

Niggles:

Small range due to inadequate fuel capacity.

Cd player in glove box.

No teardrop wipe.

Thin paint.

Quick surface corrosion.

Economy.

Flimsy parts and components.

Awful rear headrest design.

Forgot to add..

Very poor headlamps.

Shoe wash system when opening front doors after rain.

Poor audio quality from the skoda 'low' fidelity system.

Edited by octavianestate
  • Like 1

+1 on the small fuel tank it does my head in and how early the fuel warning light comes on.

The "simply clever" ice scraper thats in the fuel flap - you can never get to it when its icy as the fuel flap is always frozen shut  :dull:

Edited by anthmcm

Theres a whole topic on this but here's some.

Fuel tank reduced to 50L.

If you use the CD player a lot its in the glove box.

No blind spot portions on the wing mirrors.

Wing mirrors much smaller than the MK2

Door sills hold a lot of water.

This isn't Skoda's fault. This is because you drive on the wrong side. Most Fords are also on the LHS on RHD cars.

• Like 2

The "simply clever" ice scraper thats in the fuel flap - you can never get to it when its icy as the fuel flap is always frozen shut :dull:

That is why you order the Webasto. No need to scrape the windows :p

This isn't Skoda's fault. This is because you drive on the wrong side. Most Fords are also on the LHS on RHD cars.

It's a Safely feature, it stops little hands pulling on the leaver whilst the car is moving

• Like 1

Its amazing how people dont see these issues when they look at/test drive the car.

I never saw the 'issues' with my other half either on the 'test drive', only a few years later I discovered the problems...persistent nagging etc ;-)

• Like 3

So the fuel tank IS smaller - I hadn't checked, but I did wonder as I've done a regular trip and have been surprised at how much the fuel gauge has moved compared with what I would normally expect.  I'm happy with the sound system, but I didn't have the Skoda sound system in the old Mk II as I had an aftermarket radio in place that was there when I got it.  I'd spotted the LH side bonnet release catch as I asked the dealer to pop the hood when I took it for a test drive - I'd had other cars with it in that position so it didn't really strike me as a shortcoming.  I have spotted a stone-chip in the bonnet and will get some paint to deal with that.  Regarding not spotting niggles during a test drive - if you have a dealer with you then you are probably distracted from some shortcomings to a certain extent - esp. if you are driving on unfamiliar roads.  You also wouldn't note rain type problems if you didn't test-drive it in the rain even then it might not be obvious.  I have spotted that a certain amount of dirt collects inside the bonnet in a certain location and so obviously rain gets in somewhere - I will be sure to layer in some oily covering to protect stuff in that area.  I do think the side mirrors are smaller - I spotted this on the test drive and it didn't seem a deal breaker - I am a look over my shoulder before moving driver anyway.  Never having had Xenons previously they are so obviously an improvement over what I know that I don't see any issue with them.  Due to a requirement of the previous owner I've actually got a FULL SIZE spare :p  The boot isn't vastly different in the Mk III - I would think that a Mk II boot fitting would fit a MK III, but probably less chance the other way around due to the shape - the same plus more in the Mk III - I didn't have a proper boot liner, but did have large piece of rubber that fitted the Mk II and I am using it in the Mk III.  The biggest niggle I've got is in the position of the bonnet strut when wanting to fill the washer bottle that is the most awkward thing.  I WILL watch the fuel gauge until I get used to the smaller tank though - that is certainly worth picking up on.

• Like 1

Also increasingly getting annoyed at the tiny door bins. No kids water bottle will fit in the rear passenger doors. (unless you count 500ml plastic bottles...) the front door pockets are also quite small.

The fuel tank doesn't bother me. The range (650-800 kms depending on conditions) is no worse than any other car I've had and quite a bit better than most (my 20-year-old Pulsar gets only 500-600 kms from a 55L tank).

The bonnet release only bothers me because of the dead battery issue (not being able to unlock the passenger door).

I wouldn't call the spare wheel a "space-saver" as mine is the standard 16" tyre size. Yes, it's not full-size, but quite a bit larger than a donut, and I don't recall seeing any speed/distance limits.

There are a few things that do bug me, though. I think Skoda could have dramatically reduced the number of blanks, or at least arranged them better. Also, the glove box and glove box handle are are slightly different color from each other and the dash. I also don't care for the cruise buttons as I sometimes accidentally trigger the turn signal.

I've been worried for a few weeks that my car has developed a nasty rattle in the driver's door, but yesterday I discovered that the rattle comes from my keys when the ring hangs a specific way.

• Like 1

The fuel tank size is fine for you and I because we both have nice small economical petrol engines.

The problems are for the diesel guys because the low fuel light comes on at least 10 litres before it needs to and the petrol vRS owners will all be lead foots (only joking boys and girls).

If you run 16 inch wheels then your space saver tyre is full size. I have for the 17 inch wheels so my spare is marked at 80 kph max speed.

Never had a problem with the cruise control buttons on the end of the stalk on either of my octavia for the last 8 years or so.

Hope your keys rattle issue got sorted :-)

Yip, poor side storage in the MkIII Estate load area.

My fix was to fit my own dividers as shown on post #16 http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/339061-boot-side-dividers-hatch-but-probably-estate-too/

Strong and easily removable, cost pennies as mostly made from bits floating around my garage. Worth the effort, for me anyway. 

Maybe I should send the design to Skoda!!

• Like 1

Alpha2110 - Ah, so they all have a notchy gearbox do they?  I'd noticed that, but assumed it was because I'd got out of a MkII that had done 93K into a MKIII that had done 11K!!  I imagine by about 20K I'll have rounded things off at bit ;-)   Mine has got Dunlop Sportmaxx RT 225/45Z R17's fitted - I don't know if that is what they come with as standard (or even how good they are, but I recognise Dunlop as a brand) or if they are replacements.

Edited by OctaviaJo
  • Like 1

I only have two things that annoy me right now.

• small fuel tank. I don't like refueling weekly.

• cruise control controls on the stalk. Just put them on the steering wheel, where I can see what I'm doing and don't flash my headlights at everyone.

Several folks have mentioned the cruise control stalk, its strange, but I've never driven a cruise control where its been anywhere else so I just accept it as normal and never have any problems with it.

Several folks have mentioned the cruise control stalk, its strange, but I've never driven a cruise control where its been anywhere else so I just accept it as normal and never have any problems with it.

Both my Mondeo and 5-series had the controls on the wheel. Far superior configuration IMO. My wifes Corsa has it on the stalk too, but you twist the end of the stalk instead of the tiny, fiddly buttons on the Octavia.

I'm sure it's a habbit thing, maybe I'll get used to it.

Edited by Malakim

Both my Mondeo and 5-series had the controls on the wheel. Far superior configuration IMO. My wifes Corsa has it on the stalk too, but you twist the end of the stalk instead of the tiny, fiddly buttons on the Octavia.

I'm sure it's a habbit thing, maybe I'll get used to it.

I kinda like having a seperate cc-stalk. Its perfectly placed for adjusting the speed without having to move my hand.

Didnt like the steeringwheel buttons on my last Mondeo.