What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

Guys, if I replace my fog lights with LED lights, will the fog lights turn on when I turn? (Cornering function)

Also, will the LED need to be coded using VCDS?

Edited by axd1152

Got my bulbs fitted. Impressed overall from ordering from Ali supplying full tracking until delivery. 

Bulbs are are very well made (so they should be for £10) £10 in China must be strong money. 

Fitting was easy at 6am (those with kids understand) 

Great results, very pleased. Hard to capture the difference between halogen on my phone camera. 

Nearside is LED

EE1C250E-F5A4-44DB-AE68-6B3C8F131558.jpeg

F25E0172-BF37-4421-B459-33F177CB13A0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

For the fogs I've just fitted a set of Zdatt 4000Lm (each, 8000 the pair) - whether they are actual 4K Lm or "Aliexpress 4k" I don't have anything to validate it with.  Assuming you plug them in the correct way around they work without errors... :blush

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zdatt-Led-Bulb-Car-Light-H4-H7-H8-H9-H11-H1-Headlight-9005-HB3-9006-HB4/32848688209.html

Capture.JPG.df189fc71d0ba9d2bbec0277ca1a5cb0.JPG Note image shows the two beam headlight version not single for H8, etc

Head on, they look as bright and same colour temperature as the headlight, painfully so if catch the beam wrong.   Nice solid construction with no fan and 18GBP delivered in just over two weeks.   Installed them to up the output for the cornering lights though I doubt they'll be any use in the fog (Not that I've used fog lights to any positive affect before...)

Edited by nodigital

Can anyone with a 280 advise if the UK passenger side trim/panel for fog light access pulls out the same as the driver side panel?  I'm aware there's an intake/intercooler behind the access panel and mine doesn't want to come off that easily so I want to check before I pull too hard and snap something. 

@Andysuew @philpix any pointers? 

So it's number 15 on the RIGHT hand side, as looking at this picture: 

centre grille 00.jpg

Edited by penguin17
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Can anyone with a 280 advise if the UK passenger side trim/panel for fog light access pulls out the same as the driver side panel?  I'm aware there's an intake/intercooler behind the access panel and mine doesn't want to come off that easily so I want to check before I pull too hard and snap something. 

@Andysuew @philpix any pointers? 

So it's number 15 on the RIGHT hand side, as looking at this picture: 

centre grille 00.jpg

So, Mr Penguin, you and I seem to have the same ideas... I changed mine as the yellow fogs bothered me. I've done the same on the missus's Yeti so I probably count as a bit OCD..

Yes, the cover does come off. Mine was super dooper ****** tight and i needed trim tools, a screw driver, iron-strong fingers and a level of profanity not much seen in the leafy suburbs of Stanmore. AND EVEN WITH THAT I damaged the one on there by levering in the wrong place and bending the honeycomb bit and then snapping one of the tabs off and had to buy a new one from Superskoda. On the new one I shaved the little locating blobs on the back of the ears down a bit to make it an easier fit.

I hope the blasted thing never needs to come off again in my ownership. The driver side I did first and it was easy, which lulled me into a false sense of security :)

The best of luck my Spheniscinae friend, you are going to need it....

• Haha 1

This thread confuses me so much! Could some kind soul confirm if a MY17 estate needs BA15S or BAU15S bulbs for the rear indicators please? I've seen conflicting info earlier in this thread but I believe one has directly opposite pins and the other has offset pins.

If you could also confirm the correct fitment for the reverse lights I would be doubly grateful.

*Goes to dip head in iced water*

Thanks for your help everyone.

I've just fitted the following for the rear indicators:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/581-twenty20-cree-led-12v-py21w-canbus-amber-bayonet-bulb.html

And these for the front fog lights:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h8-twenty20-cree-led-12v-canbus-foglight-bulb.html

Both delivered quickly by ABD, and good value with a discount on the H8s at the moment. Haven't seen them after dark yet, but they're all working and looking good without errors as far as I can see from a brief check on the driveway in the daylight.

I haven't done the reverse lights yet as they're the lowest priority for me. Having chipped the paintwork trying to get one of the f**king rear light clusters out earlier, I won't be rushing to do them either....

Have just ordered the same for my car. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get any errors - haven't had much success in that department so far!

1 hour ago, Albourneboy said:

Have just ordered the same for my car. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get any errors - haven't had much success in that department so far!

They're working fine without errors here. It's a big improvement - the foglights aren't quite a 100% match to the xenons, but it's much, much, closer then the jarringly yellow halogens they replaced.

20 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

skeptical about what beam your's can provide, test them on some wall

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=5050176

6f305404k142-1920.jpg

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

Interesting - I hadn't given much thought to the beam pattern to be honest, other than not wanting to blind anyone. I virtually never actively switch my front foglights on - swapping them was driven almost exclusively by the aesthetics of cornering.

Next time I'm in the car and it's dark I'll drive up to the wall and take a picture. Wish I'd seen this post earlier as I could have done it tonight....

Fitted the front fogs and they work fine - no errors so far.

Different story with the indicator bulbs :sadsmile:. The first one I tried didn't work at all - not a glimmer. Tried in in both sides with the same result. Fitted the second one and that one was just fine. Brighter than the standard bulb and completely error free.  Am going to return them to the seller and get them to swap them for 2 that will both work as I'm sure it's a fault with the bulb.

2 hours ago, Albourneboy said:

Fitted the front fogs and they work fine - no errors so far.

Different story with the indicator bulbs :sadsmile:. The first one I tried didn't work at all - not a glimmer. Tried in in both sides with the same result. Fitted the second one and that one was just fine. Brighter than the standard bulb and completely error free.  Am going to return them to the seller and get them to swap them for 2 that will both work as I'm sure it's a fault with the bulb.

Damn - frustrating to get a dud!

• 5 weeks later...
On 31/05/2018 at 16:50, CheshireBumpkin said:

Damn - frustrating to get a dud!

Should have replied to this a while ago. Returned the indicator bulbs and got replacements within a week. Fitted them and no problems at all this time. They are working fine and are much brighter than the ‘ordinary’  bulbs. 

I swapped out the first two successfully, but when I tested it again after the last one it wasn’t working. I tried replacing all three again with no joy. I probably put too much heat into the board using an overpowered soldering iron.

It was handy to have, but I never used it as a torch… it was the mismatch to the replacement boot lights that was annoying. It looked a bit bare without it and I didn’t fancy paying £50+ for a new one (or £30 used) so I gutted it and fitted a W5W LED that matched nicely and is very bright. The top and bottom pins are live when the boot opens… can’t remember which is -/+ but it was the negative that was switched IIRC.

bt.jpg.0bcf6e2d40996c26dcc24340c0f5e280.jpg

1 hour ago, paul_7_7_7 said:

Any update on whether this worked?

anyone know what type of bulb is the drl on the non xenon headlamps for the mk3 superb. the ones that light up where the indicator bulbs are on most cars ?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone changed out the turning light bulbs for an LED type? I'm hoping to find out if it was difficult and what make is the bulb?

29bc20l.png

Edited by Apexor