What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

Has anyone with a halogen headlight car replaced the front indicators with led bulbs as well as the rears? I've got 1 pair of Ali Express led bulbs for the rear (but not yet fitted), and just realised the fronts would probably want doing too.

Fitted these LEDs to the boot. Work well and a big improvement. Required a tiny enlargening of the hole with a Stanley knife, and, as others have mentioned, they need to be fitted the other way around to the stock units.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Y3Mb6vUj

Door, reversing and indicator LEDs yet to be fitted. Also, delivery from Ali Express has been much quicker than expected.

Ali Express door LEDs now fitted - brighter, yes, but I'm not completely sure if I'm sold on how they look as you can see the separate glows from each individual diode through the lens. Might just be case of getting used to it. Tip for any one going this - once the LED board is fitted, it's easier to pull out the complete light unit, then fit the lens back on, and then push the whole unit back into place.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2016 at 19:28, Gizmo68 said:

Rear indicators

PY21W 

Philips X-treme Vision http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/xtreme-vision-py21

OE on the left LED on the right:

I am about to advertise a brand new pair of these (bought to put in the front of a Passat... before checking what type they used (WY21W and not these!)

Paid £45, asking £40 + a couple of quid postage

• 2 weeks later...

Trunk light

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs-12V-Car-LED-Courtesy-Door-Projector-Light-For-Audi-A3-A4-A6-VW-Skoda-Foot/32789695507.html

170327_12V_3W_Car-LED-Courtesy-Door-Projector-Light.jpg

perfect result:

170327_3w_18xLED_vs_stock_Incandescent.png

adopter cables weren't necessary in trunk,

but pass in Glove box, but there holes are 1-2mm too short(outside dimensions are equal).

two extra pieces were ordered to somehow install them in cargo to able have some light from the top,

not done yet

2 hours ago, MartiniB said:

(...)

2 hours ago, MartiniB said:

adopter cables weren't necessary in trunk,

but pass in Glove box, but there holes are 1-2mm too short(outside dimensions are equal).

two extra pieces were ordered to somehow install them in cargo to able have some light from the top,

not done yet

Sorry for being slow, but will these particular ones from Ali require me to cut open the holes for the lights in the trunk? Or are they a perfect fit like the much more expensive ones from superskoda?

5 hours ago, grenness said:

are they a perfect fit like the much more expensive ones from superskoda?

almost perfectly, before insert bulb little bit pushed harder by finger to holes short sides

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the led lights for the bottom of doors on my SE L Executive and receive set of 4 and went to fit and only realised the back doors don't have lights :-(

can they be fitted easy enough???

• 2 weeks later...

Following Gizmo68 advice on what bulbs to use (5050 W5W LED, lots of choice on EBay) I changed out the white foot well bulbs for blue led ones to create my own DIY ambient lighting. Very pleased with the result.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Prykey said:

Did you replace the front fog lights and if so what bulbs did you use from the above and are they any good? 

These are the H8 fog light LEDs:

10 hours ago, Andysuew said:

I tried those first time round, but they were too blue for my liking and did not light up the road very well, fitted to SWMBOs Yeti:

37429e8e-72de-499b-82de-d4f5fefff14a_zps

I removed it just as quick though then gave them away...

One for the S, SE, SE Business and SE Tech owners..

After some recent midnight non road lit driving, I have decided its time to upgrade the default longlife H7 bulbs.

Decided to take a put on these..

48177022R-Racing-vision.jpg

https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2016/09/difference-between-philips-racingvision-and-philips-x-treme-vision-130

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-group-test

Will confirm what they are like once fitted.

Fitted... REALLY good.. nice crisp white (whiter) light, good beam throw..

Best bulbs around from reading all the review... shame they have a short bulb light though... time will tell

For ref - the original bulbs are - OSRAM ORIGINAL LINE 64210 L.

https://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/vehicle-and-bicycle-lighting/cars/halogen-headlight-lamps/osram-original-line/index.jsp?productId=ZMP_61232

Edited by RickTT

14 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

These are the H8 fog light LEDs:

I tried those first time round, but they were too blue for my liking and did not light up the road very well, fitted to SWMBOs Yeti:

37429e8e-72de-499b-82de-d4f5fefff14a_zps

I removed it just as quick though then gave them away...

Thanks Gizmo68, I'd like them to match, but I'd also like them to do the job they are intended for, due to the intercooler on the 280 there doesn't appear to be a lot of choice. 

Hi Prykey, I used these ones.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2x-H8-H11-30W-CREE-LED-High-Power-Pure-White-6000K-Fog-Tail-Headlight-Bulbs-Auto/32566731161.html

They fit directly into the 280 without any issues. They fit past the intercooler with ease and only took around 10 mins to replace both sides. They do throw as much light if not more than the originals, but they are much crisper.

The photos are one with the HID headlights on and one with the DRL's only. They aren't that "blue". That match the colour  of the HID. Will get better photos over the next few days.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

On 4/22/2017 at 11:33, Andysuew said:

Hi Prykey, I used these ones.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2x-H8-H11-30W-CREE-LED-High-Power-Pure-White-6000K-Fog-Tail-Headlight-Bulbs-Auto/32566731161.html

They fit directly into the 280 without any issues. They fit past the intercooler with ease and only took around 10 mins to replace both sides. They do throw as much light if not more than the originals, but they are much crisper.

The photos are one with the HID headlights on and one with the DRL's only. They aren't that "blue". That match the colour  of the HID. Will get better photos over the next few days.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

Thank you :)

9 hours ago, Andysuew said:

@Prykey here are some photos of the flog lights at night. As you can see, they match the colour of the HID & DRLs

IMG_1493075217.JPG

IMG_1493075297.JPG

Hi Andysuew.

Nice find that. Can you tell me if you ordered 30, 50 or 80watt bulbs and also are the fittings H8, H11 or H16?

Cheers.