New car Monday, do I need to run it in ?

I picked up my VRS last Thursday. Being a new owner I was also concerned but I was given no advice from the dealer so followed the same procedure as always when I pick up a new vehicle. Keep the revs low and acceleration smooth for around 30 metres (depends how far from the main road the forecourt is) and then drive it as normal forever afterwards ;)

• Like 3

A few hundred miles to let mechanicals bed in is wise dont let the engine labour too much. Don't treat it too gently from there on.

Enjoy,

Mark

Edited by mark999

The manual says to drive it in the lower end of the revs for the first 1.5k km but like most I plan to drive it as I normally do.

Read the manual, its helps :)   

http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/11-2014/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

Edited by LHVRS
  • Like 1

The engine will be fine just take care with the new tyres and brakes as those will take a little time to bed in...

You do get a lovely rubber burning smell from the engine bay for the first 500 or so if you do choose to drive it "normally"

Edited by pkoconnor

Make sure you let the oil get up to temp before giving it more than a few thousand rpm, easy on the brakes till they bed in and if you have driven enthusiastically drive the last mile or so of your journey normally to avoid any damage to the turbo. Also, keep an eye on your oil, check your tyre pressures ASAP as they may well be still at the transport pressures, and an extra thing I always do is check the wheel nuts after about 200 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for driving it properly, just don't go stupid.

I got my diesel fabia vrs from new and drive from dealers home was amazing, overtake after overtake lol but not past or any where near rev limits.

Didn't do the car any harm.........

127k so far and barely uses any oil ( if anything I probably have a very minor slow oil leak), but I'm pretty sure petrol fabia vrs use quite a bit more lol

If you misinterpret "running in" as driving slowly and too cautiously / sticking to static speeds you'll be rewards with a slow oil burner ;)

There're a lot different views on running in, even for cars that required a proper run in. One school of thought was that if babied, an engine was likely to use more oil, but a proper thrashing would bed the pistons in better. I'm not advocating this, as the other consequences are likely to outweigh this benefit.

Anyway, my (probably 18 year old) dealer rep said running in wasn't necessary. Take that how you will, but the fact that there's no 1500 mile oil change as there used to be kind of supports that.

One thing that might be worth doing though is not doing the first 1k miles on cruise control at the same speed. Best to keep a good variance on the revs for better bedding in. Although again, this presupposes that the engine isn't actually run in, but his caution isn't too difficult to abide by.

When I bought my car 3 months ago I was unsure too, I read posts on other forums on running in. There are so many different views, non having any real merit, some say thrash it, some say drive ultra careful, others progressively build up the revs over a few thousand miles. My question is would you trust somthing so important from a source with no evedence?. Although you may see the logic of the opinion it still could be wrong.

My opinion is do what it says in the manual, and you can't go wrong. Even after the 1500kms don't rev it until it's warmed up. I mean don't red line it, this applies to any car. Not because it will break nessisaraly but it will prematurely wear.

Edited by Alpha2110

Personally, I will always run a new engine in, and change the oil after 1000 mile.

Keep to 4000 RPM for 1000 miles and increment by 500 RPM for every 100 extra miles.

I don't really know if this makes much difference, but I have used half a litre of oil in 6000 miles.

Good luck with the new motor :sun:

i just drove it as normal but i am a gentle driver so the car has not been used to drive rally With.

after 4400 miles there is no change to the oil Level so the car has not used any oil and is a smooth ride.

Skoda run the engines in at the factory to make sure theres no mechanical issues, so as has already been said, don't worry bout the engine but let the brakes bed in and tyres scrub up 

Either way, if you have bought a vrs and keep it below 4000rpm for the first 1000mls then you shouldn't have bought a vrs ;)

Why? Our last vRS was making 205 bhp @ 4k rpm, & that's enough power to keep with the traffic since that =  app 105 mph.........

The 2.0TSi isn't even a rev-happy engine, it's real strength is in the flat torque curve, at least 210 lb/ft from 2,500 rpm 

to 280 lb/ft @ 4,000 rpm on the vRS.

I'm that you'll not agree but the fun for us is the low rpm punch that doesn't go away as the revs climb, & the almost

linear power delivery from idle to the red-line. 

Why? Our last vRS was making 205 bhp @ 4k rpm, & that's enough power to keep with the traffic since that =  app 105 mph.........

The 2.0TSi isn't even a rev-happy engine, it's real strength is in the flat torque curve, at least 210 lb/ft from 2,500 rpm 

to 280 lb/ft @ 4,000 rpm on the vRS.

I'm that you'll not agree but the fun for us is the low rpm punch that doesn't go away as the revs climb, & the almost

linear power delivery from idle to the red-line. 

How do you know it delivers power to the redline if you don't go past 4000rpm ;)

How do you know it delivers power to the redline if you don't go past 4000rpm ;)

Simples. We have the graphs with the power & torque curves, courtesy of AMD tuning........

We've seen all of our mini fleet go to the red-line, usually when attempting a rapid departure in "S" mode, 

but in day to day use, there's enough torque to scoot us past the traffic without up-setting the normals.

Have a nice day, DC.