Windows 10 - worth it yet?

kilted

I'd say no for now. I upgraded but I now often get blue screens and software not working, it's frustrating working out where settings have moved to compared to 7. Tempted everyday to format and start again with 7. I'll hold until September and if it doesn't improve it's gone

I'd say no for now. I upgraded but I now often get blue screens and software not working, it's frustrating working out where settings have moved to compared to 7. Tempted everyday to format and start again with 7. I'll hold until September and if it doesn't improve it's gone

You not need to know where the settings are just type in the task bar search box.  (You can do this in 7, but I think works a little bit better in 10).  

There is a big update in the works for W10 with some significant changes to the start menu.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/25/windows_10_anniversary_update_draws_nearer_with_inky_preview/

Edited by Aspman

T's and C's say win 10 must be "installed" before the end of the free period otherwise you have to pay.

If you rolled back, or downloaded but didn't install when the date arrives, it seems you have to pay.

Clever ploy as means you can't hold off if you want the anniversary edition

Like I said buy an OEM CD/DVD copy of Windows 10 and install it, it'll eliminate any of the possible glitches that the upgrade route does.

Why dont just do an upgrade and then a clean install? Should be the same.

You could always dual boot 10 with 7 and see how you like it http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Easy enough done - install a new copy of W7 on a new partition ,then use the W10 upgrade to install W10 on the new partition. I also run XP for hardware that W7 can't run, and default boot to W7 as I'm still playing with W10 and not convinced it's any better.

• Like 1

Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

It staggers me that no one has spoken about the ridiculous automattic privacy built on's are activated without yourknolwdge. This includes your contacts, photo's e-mail and works accounts...so youcan find yourself in a very difficult postion to answer too albeit innocent....

Eh? You have to install Windows 7, then do the upgrade over the top of it, using the Windows 7 key.

Once win10 is installed that is not necessary. Its an option to do a clean install within win10. Just push the button and let it do its thing.

Or did I totally miss the point here? :p

Edited by Gromle

It staggers me that no one has spoken about the ridiculous automattic privacy built on's are activated without yourknolwdge. This includes your contacts, photo's e-mail and works accounts...so youcan find yourself in a very difficult postion to answer too albeit innocent....

Actually I have given up mentioning this in Win10 threads, as the response is always "if you have nothing to hide". Our old Nursery school is installing Win10 and then keeping the childrens records on it; this BREAKS the UK Data Protection Act, as Win10 will slurp all that data and send it to the USA; so we are giving notice to leave.

MS is just joining the club with Apple, Google and everyone that make apps.

It staggers me that people only seem to bother when it's Microsoft that does it.

• Like 2

Actually I have given up mentioning this in Win10 threads, as the response is always "if you have nothing to hide". Our old Nursery school is installing Win10 and then keeping the childrens records on it; this BREAKS the UK Data Protection Act, as Win10 will slurp all that data and send it to the USA; so we are giving notice to leave.

How are they breaking the DPA?

http://uk.pcmag.com/windows-10/70221/feature/windows-10-how-to-protect-your-privacy

• Administrators

Might be more the EU data & where it resides than DPA. Stuff like safe harbour collapsing prompted a fair bit of work, then it was sticky plastered. Does not matter anyway as most countries are 'eyes' sharing anyway.

Many companies break this as many don't know it exists. I told the guy running one of the clubs I'm in [ he's an IT expert ]. He'd just moved everything to a US server & US backups; for a UK club :S & had also broken quite a few things in doing so. He wasn't fussed one bit by the legality or not of it...

I'm not concerned where my data is, more how it's held. If someone said we're going to put all your financial data on a wordpress install 'd be gone like a shot. 

It's a retrospective thing. The ICO isn't going to come and knock on your door unless it goes wrong. So a lot of businesses will see it as an acceptable risk on Vs the savings and efficiencies. The GDPR will change that risk as the max fine will go up from £500k to 4% of global turnover. Big companies wouldn't bat an eyelid at £500k but 4%, that might sting.

Safe-harbour was always worthless anyway imho. As I read the act it was still incumbent on you as the data controller to ensure the data processor was acting in accordance with the Act. Safe Harbour was never a box tick there because it was a self certification. It will get fixed because there is so much money involved. Meanwhile MS is building EEA data centres, and Google generally ignores the EU and sells stuff anyway.

TBH even though it's likely a technical breach of principle 8 putting stuff into a service run by Google or MS is unlikely to result in a massive breach of personal information. Those companies are pretty good at running their servers. Any fall out is likely to come from individuals objecting to their data being moved to the USA and raising that with the ICO.

A bigger issue is the use of personal cloud services for business data. That's a bomb waiting to go off in many companies. Manager just don't understand the differences, don't want to read the small print and don't want to be told to buy the business service. That's until all their stuff disappears with no comeback because they were on the free version, or all the confidential data appears on a public share because the service provided changed their setup on a whim.

I ****ing hate cloud.

Edited by Aspman

All they'll find on my cloud storage is 100s of cake, pudding and biscuit recipes.

So they'll know why I have the body of a deity. One called Buddha!

And when M$ sell that data to your life insurer, who them triples your premiums??

Nice link, but it is wrong; they slurp a lot more than that, they have "anonymised"* access to photos, documents and data stored on your PC; this is buried in some of the various "security" updates they have been pushing out over the last 8 months; and opens up your PC to easy hacking as soon as anyone cracks M$ security (IE the day after M$ pushed it out.).

* Except that researchers have shown that you can link it back to a person without too much effort.

Nice link, but it is wrong; they slurp a lot more than that, they have "anonymised"* access to photos, documents and data stored on your PC; this is buried in some of the various "security" updates they have been pushing out over the last 8 months; and opens up your PC to easy hacking as soon as anyone cracks M$ security (IE the day after M$ pushed it out.).

* Except that researchers have shown that you can link it back to a person without too much effort.

Link?

Everything I've read has debunked this

Worry not - Theresea sees all, knows all and does nada . . . for you ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fSXp6N-vs

I suppose as soon as this doctor's dispute gets resolved, HMG will, as originally intended in the masterplan , escalate the  capture and sale of patient data from   GP surgeries and Hospitals,  in preparation for flogging the NHS to all the American contractors,  who as we speak, are "On their marks" waiting for the NATIP to come into full effect (No wonder 'le Mud Guts was over here advocating the virtues of staying in). Voting "Leave" would at least delay this.

Back on thread. The desktop presentation of W10 is irritating, as is the way they've  now squirrelled anything useful to the user in the depths of the menu system.

I've got W10 and W7 as a dual boot on one desktop, 8.1. on the other, W10 on the new laptop and W7 (32) on the laptop used for VDCS for the motor. And I tried installing an XP VM in the  8.1 machine , for playing older games, but it didn't work to  well.

My current order of preference of use 8.1., 7 then 10.

That one Key depression switch, that is available in 8.1,  between a full window of tiles (Of my choosing, configuration and categorisation) containing the frequently used stuff and the Desktop, where the utilities and heavy weight applications can be found, is ideal as far as I'm concerned. And the use of an integral swipe pad in the keyboard, means its even easier to use the tile system, with less arm strain and screen cleaning, than a touch scree.

I'd appreciate Windows designers actively cutting down the number of ways the same thing can be done in Windows - now you'd have thought that if the were "Dumbing the product down", so it could be easily used to access the new retail, banking and public services and trying to make process outcomes uniform,  that "Mechanism" reduction would be front and centre. Apparently not. You'd have thought that approach would aid security as well. Obviously not.

This aspect of the MS approach to desktop design seems to have been consistent since the year dot. Over-arching sodtware design philosophy or just coders making life-long jobs for themselves ? Let's guess.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

And when M$ sell that data to your life insurer, who them triples your premiums??

It'll don't have or do life insurance, it's a rip off and scam. I'm not married nor do I have any siblings or family beyond me, I'm the last in the family line. So do you think that I'm going to be stupid enough to take out a life insurance policy?

To me insurance is legalised theft.

It'll don't have or do life insurance, it's a rip off and scam. I'm not married nor do I have any siblings or family beyond me, I'm the last in the family line. So do you think that I'm going to be stupid enough to take out a life insurance policy?

To me insurance is legalised theft.

do you want a brother? We can discuss terms of your accident/ suicide/ mysterious disappearance later :D