Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

I thought crackle black also, that's why I had to ask.

It would look awful :D glad it's staying silver, just kept my opinion quiet until I knew! :p

Craple black :O

Haters gonna hate.

The inlet, EGR and anti shudder valve have all been painted and are drying indoors now.

I'll get some pics up soon, just to keep Kevlaar happy they've been finished in OE silver.

Pricing up some options on ceramic coating the tubular exhaust manifold, my preferred option is the zircotec motorsport white finish but it's nigh on double the cost of the camcoat black coating..

This thread has blown me away!

I have had mine off the road upgrading turbo and Fmic, cleaning and servicing etc put it all back together and am delighted with myself!  But read this thread and well, you would start twitching if you saw it lol  

Seriously though, you must have been eating, drinking and sleeping this car!   What an accomplishment.   Well done pal!

The EGR mods are continuing.

Starting with the normal inards

E2ADB9F4-4F8F-42AC-85B7-C2CA4E1DD863_zps

I took various cutting implements to the piston itself, then ground down the neck of the piston and also the large ramp at the bottom where the piston seats. The aim is to reduce the thickness of the material at the base where the hole is, as that's where the meth injector needs to be pointed upwards into the airstream.

86967254-9CC0-41EE-8DBD-73E9CDFDCE9F_zps

E331DD6B-056C-458E-BF6C-8F2C9AEC8447_zps

The EGR blanking plate will be drilled and tapped to take the nozzle and hopefully it'll be deep enough just to be flush with the base of the EGR "floor". If not I'll have to take some more material out of the floor itself.

Hope this makes sense? It'll all become apparent when the bits are together

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

Bit of frustration at the minute. Bottom end of the engine build had started but quickly stopped again when the rod bearings were found to have been supplied wrong. My own fault for not checking them before.

Pistons have been built up onto the rods, rings oiled and the gaps staggered 60 degrees from each other then using the piston ring compressor we fitted them into the right bores. Thanks for the heads up from Adam regarding the oil spray jet alignment.

Pistons and rods in.

C61BE764-900B-446C-97B0-49C91F1097C7_zps

See how the notch in the piston corresponds with the space for the oil spray jet. There's enough adjustment on the spray jets themselves to ensure that the oil goes directly into the holes in the underneath of the piston.

CBC38CDE-DB3C-4EB3-9859-DBFCFC1CC14D_zps

So until I get the rod bearings that's as far as I've got.

Brighter news came in the form of the brass bung for the inlet where the meth injector had been removed from..

The new Devilsown meth injector is here, it's their D05 nozzle which is rated to the required amount of boost/rpm etc

1EFF1632-3C13-4E93-B5F0-1E10366A5A91_zps

Next job is tapping the EGR plate and then taking more material from the base of the EGR valve so that the nozzle sits flush with the inside face of the EGR

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3

Nice work lofty, few and far between who enjoy doing the job properly. I'm thinking about steeling your idea for my BLT egr, how ever not running meth but for hiding a boost gauge sender. By removing the piston and the excess metal and blanking off makes a nice stealthy egr delete. You going to be runing a fake vacume hose to it? How are you planning on sealing the piston to accuator off? Could see it possibly leeking and loosing boost out the accuator.

Edited by kellaway86

I'll still have the vacuum hose connected to it will have a blank in it

Hopefully get the rod bearings sorted tomorrow

To actuate the EGR piston takes one hell of a vacuum to operate it so I'm confident the boost pressure going past it won't force the piston open. I may well get it TIG welded over, not 100% decided yet

Edited by Lofty

Finally the inlet is finished.

Drilled and tapped the EGR blanking plate. Fitted the nozzle in with a dab of loctite for good measure.

7A028799-BFF3-4A6C-AE3F-F1F3CE0C483B_zps

Had to take another load of material from the base of the inside of the EGR.

9F753634-E426-4477-ADD2-70722EEA1219_zps

And all fitted up

053B8852-5B74-45F7-9CC7-7E28CA37D541_zps

85E26C1C-CC49-465B-9C4C-2A9F70C6BA2F_zps

00C1E3EA-20AA-44DE-ADD8-5B35F8E2C2D4_zps

Tomorrow night I'm gonna start looking at the exhaust manifold set up..

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

Forgot to add, the red meth pipe will be changed for an install of black pipe which will be gently heated and curved to sit nice behind the back of the ASV.

It'll then be run behind the vacuum box and through into the inner wing area out of sight