Bodyshop Staff Possibly Using My Vehicle For Their Own Use

Is it normal practice for bodyshop Staff to use a customers car to commute to and from work?

My vehicle is currently in for a respray due to rust on the tailgate. The work has been contracted out by Skoda as a warranty issue.

At approximately 2005 tonight I received an alert from the tracker fitted to my vehicle stating it had been driven from the bodyshop to a residential address a few miles away.

No, it's NOT normal practice!

If there was a mechanical fault that was proving difficult to diagnose, and needed driving round for a few miles or an early morning cold start, I've let my local tame independent garage do that, but only with prior approval and confidence in the person driving. But definitely not for a bodywork repair.

Edited by FlyingGecko
  • Like 1

If you know where it is, go take a photo, note the address, wait 'til you've got it back (if it's not too long a wait), then ask for a bloody good explanation.

Or go and move it back to somewhere near you and wait to hear from them!

Gaz

• Like 2

Local bodyshop did this to me with my Bora, except I saw it out for a drie on the evening. I went home and got the spare key, and took the car back home. Then I waited for them to ring me.

Next day the manager called with a **** and bull story, so I told him where the car was and how it got there. It took some explaining that I really wasn't best pleased at my car being used without my consent, but he seemed to think it was in their charge so it was okay.

• Like 2

Local bodyshop did this to me with my Bora, except I saw it out for a drie on the evening. I went home and got the spare key, and took the car back home. Then I waited for them to ring me.

Next day the manager called with a **** and bull story, so I told him where the car was and how it got there. It took some explaining that I really wasn't best pleased at my car being used without my consent, but he seemed to think it was in their charge so it was okay.

WTF! Okay my @rse!

Is this, taken without consent? This is why I don't like leaving my car at the garage longer then a day. What tracker are you using?

https://www.carlock.co/features-app/

Whoever has access to the car has just driven it back to the bodyshop.

I have front and rear dashcams hardwired into the car. I removed the rear one as that is where the respray is being carried out. The front dashcam is currently installed in my Fabia courtesy car.

I also took photographs of my dash readout before dropping the car off so it'll be interesting to see what the mileage is when I get it back!

Edited by Guest

Local garage/fishing tackle shop used my car to transport bulk maggots whilst it was supposed to be in for repair.

Bloody thing stank, they denied everything, until the sun came out and the car was full of newly hatched flies!

Then I got a full valet out of them and never used them again.

Our other car had already been broken into whilst at theirs for a service too!

Pretty sure , if my tracker alerted me that my car was on the move I would be over there in a shot and taking photographic evidence.

If your tracker is easily removed/mobile they could say some co..ck and bull.

My car tracker has moved a few feet but that is due to the GPS signal but never anything like you say.

• Like 1

Someone is a member on here, I suspect.

If they are a member on here, then they'll know how to disconnect it due to the link I posted earlier B( However, when the device is disconnected, that triggers an alarm.

And sends an alert when it is reconnected.

Pretty sure , if my tracker alerted me that my car was on the move I would be over there in a shot and taking photographic evidence.

If your tracker is easily removed/mobile they could say some co..ck and bull.

My car tracker has moved a few feet but that is due to the GPS signal but never anything like you say.

Unfortunately I had a few beers with my evening meal just before getting the alerts. 

The tracker system I use has been totally consistent and in the 2 or 3 years I have had it installed it has never given a false location reading.

it will be interesting to see what stance the dealership/Skoda take!

Unfortunately I had a few beers with my evening meal just before getting the alerts. 

The tracker system I use has been totally consistent and in the 2 or 3 years I have had it installed it has never given a false location reading.

it will be interesting to see what stance the dealership/Skoda take!

Too late now, but you could have grassed them for TWOCing it.

• Like 1

It would appear this bodyshop operates 24/7! The engine was switched on just before midnight, 0450, 0624 and 0825. All at the location of the bodyshop.

According to Google there are two bodyshops in that area. One with a 2.5* review and one with a 4.5*.

I wonder which one Skoda used??!!