Amundsen Satnav update

6 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Have you moved the slide switch on the side of the SD card?

I tried a couple of times and didn't work. Now I tried again and was very careful with inserting in and worked. Thanks

On 20/02/2018 at 19:25, kernowalan said:

SD card back from dealer and it was unable to even read it. Initially I also had problems with intermittent reading until I rebooted with the card in the reader. No idea why this tip worked but it did. Borrowed a windows laptop, formatted with 4k clusters, downloaded the updates and still get the error message about invalid data. I now wonder if the card security features are the problem? Anyway dealer says it will replace the SD card under warranty although it has never known one to fail.

Will I update when the next is released? I’ll probably visit the dentist instead.

After much effing about by the dealer - mainly caused by internal Skoda issues regarding proceedure - dealer took the car in and it came back with a new sd card.  Alls well that ends well I suppose but boy was it hard work.

By default is a speed camera database supplied on the Amundsen? 

I've been past a couple now and whilst not using Sat Nav I still would have expected a heads up from the infotainment but I didn't get any warning.

On 18.2.2018 at 13:13, Thrifty said:

Have been staying for weekend with someone who has a pc and a fast broadband so updated my satnav which had only partially worked on a Mac update. 

All went easily and the missing place and road names have now reappeared. I won’t try using the Mac ever again for this update as it clearly only works if you are prepared to do some hidden file manipulation. 

Hey Thrifty, had the same trouble today. No road names with the update via mac, used a Windows PC and the Downloadmanager from Skoda and it worked well. I've read in other forums, that unzipping it with a different program (i think it was 7zX) it worked on mac as well. I´ll give it a go on the next map update.

Just occasionally Macs are not as good as PCs! Will be interested to know if a different unzipper sorts the problem out. But at least I know for the next time that I can do it on a PC ok. Does the update go on indefinitely or does it stop when the car reaches 3 years and they then start charging??  Perhaps I will just have to buy a new car every 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Just occasionally Macs are not as good as PCs! Will be interested to know if a different unzipper sorts the problem out. But at least I know for the next time that I can do it on a PC ok. Does the update go on indefinitely or does it stop when the car reaches 3 years and they then start charging??  Perhaps I will just have to buy a new car every 3 years.

I got my car in early 2014 and this is the first time I ever updated my maps for the Amundsen satnav. So I´d say this will be free for a while longer... but that's just a guess

If you've  got a Mac to update your map :

1°/ Use "The UNarchiver" or "7-Zip" software to unzip the  .tar archive directly at the root of your USB Stick (Fat 32 formated)

2°/ Then on the stick, use "CleanMyDrive" to eliminate the "service hiden files"  created by your Mac

3°/ U can take your unpolluted stick now to update your sat nav.

4°/ Or else, better use a Windows  P.C...

Edited by athon34

Just to add my 2 pence,  the instructions from the Skoda update portal are rubbish! 

Thanks to this thread, this was my method, using PC:

Enter VIN in the portal, click the download link to grab the downloaded executable.

Double click this and then it takes a long while as it downloads 6 or so gig.

I chose a destination on the desktop to save the file.

Whlist this was downloading I plugged the Skoda SD card in and copied the contents to another location for backup.

Removed the SD card, unprotected it using the write protect tab, plugged the card back in and then deleted all files and folders. I didn't format.

When the download finished I used this same downloader to unpack the files to the now empty Skoda SD card.

This again too a while but they all went over.

My SD card is 8gb.

Fingers crossed it works in the car now!

I simply don’t understand how in this day and age you still need to have a fair bit of IT knowledge to update the maps and the update isn’t a simple ‘plug and play’ process.  People with limited knowledge are naturally going to be unwilling to do this for rear of messing up,the SD card.

8 hours ago, Falmouthboy said:

I simply don’t understand how in this day and age you still need to have a fair bit of IT knowledge to update the maps and the update isn’t a simple ‘plug and play’ process.  People with limited knowledge are naturally going to be unwilling to do this for rear of messing up,the SD card.

Same with buying a new phone of a different make & transferring  all the info to the new phone, nothing straight forward about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, ive recently come back to having an Octavia and moving to a van for 5 years, im presently in a 16 plate SE-L spec car, and i must say im impressed after my last 10 plate car, they've moved on alot spec wise. Anyways stop waffling i hear you say, ive just updated my nav without a hitch thanks to this thread, but my question is is there any way of converting my poi's from my tomtom to use on this inbuild system?

11 hours ago, mark kelsall said:

Hi all, ive recently come back to having an Octavia and moving to a van for 5 years, im presently in a 16 plate SE-L spec car, and i must say im impressed after my last 10 plate car, they've moved on alot spec wise. Anyways stop waffling i hear you say, ive just updated my nav without a hitch thanks to this thread, but my question is is there any way of converting my poi's from my tomtom to use on this inbuild system?

Follow this guide for Speed cameras

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this topic. I just successfully updated my satnav data from the Skoda website - no problems at all.

I have an Amundsen satnav, with 16GB SD Card (14.8 GB actually !) and I'm using a Windows 10 PC. I did not have to download 7-zip or any other software for the PC,it all worked with Windows 10. The process was as follows - 

1. Removed SD card from car 

2. Copied SD card contents to a folder on the Windows 10 PC hard drive (for peace of mind only, not essential)

3. Moved "Lock" tab on SD card to unlock the card for writing

4. Formatted the SD card using "FAT32" File system and "4096 bytes" Allocation unit size

5. Off to Skoda website http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB and entered VIN number

6. Located appropriate satnav update file for UK (the 12 GB one) and started download

7. This downloaded a file called "Downloader.exe" from Skoda which I then ran and follows screen prompts

8. You have to specify a folder on the hard disk where the satnav temp file will be downloaded to

9. Waited for download to complete - it took about one hour for the 12 GB file on my 30Mbps broadband connection

10. After download I was prompted to select location of SD card attached to computer for "unpacking"

11.It took a further 25-30 minutes or so to unpack the data directly onto the empty SD card

12. Removed SD Card from PC and moved "Lock" tab to lock the card.

Once completed I put the SD card back in the car, switched on satnav and it immediately started with the updated version of the maps (I checked the map versions before and after).

So no problems. All straightforward, exactly as described on Skoda website.

You must use a "Skoda" SD card.I did try with a standard SanDisk card and it did not work. I believe the "SD Card" specification allows for "Secure Data" (the "SD" part) to be written to a card by a vendor to personalise the card. This data cannot be seen or copied using normal methods and so was not present on the SanDisk card and was therefore not recognised.

Remember to "unlock" the SD card using the tab on the side before attempting to format or write to the card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 17:01, BOD20 said:

An update to this topic. I just successfully updated my satnav data from the Skoda website - no problems at all.

I have an Amundsen satnav, with 16GB SD Card (14.8 GB actually !) and I'm using a Windows 10 PC. I did not have to download 7-zip or any other software for the PC,it all worked with Windows 10. The process was as follows - 

1. Removed SD card from car 

2. Copied SD card contents to a folder on the Windows 10 PC hard drive (for peace of mind only, not essential)

3. Moved "Lock" tab on SD card to unlock the card for writing

4. Formatted the SD card using "FAT32" File system and "4096 bytes" Allocation unit size

5. Off to Skoda website http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB and entered VIN number

6. Located appropriate satnav update file for UK (the 12 GB one) and started download

7. This downloaded a file called "Downloader.exe" from Skoda which I then ran and follows screen prompts

8. You have to specify a folder on the hard disk where the satnav temp file will be downloaded to

9. Waited for download to complete - it took about one hour for the 12 GB file on my 30Mbps broadband connection

10. After download I was prompted to select location of SD card attached to computer for "unpacking"

11.It took a further 25-30 minutes or so to unpack the data directly onto the empty SD card

12. Removed SD Card from PC and moved "Lock" tab to lock the card.

Once completed I put the SD card back in the car, switched on satnav and it immediately started with the updated version of the maps (I checked the map versions before and after).

So no problems. All straightforward, exactly as described on Skoda website.

You must use a "Skoda" SD card.I did try with a standard SanDisk card and it did not work. I believe the "SD Card" specification allows for "Secure Data" (the "SD" part) to be written to a card by a vendor to personalise the card. This data cannot be seen or copied using normal methods and so was not present on the SanDisk card and was therefore not recognised.

Remember to "unlock" the SD card using the tab on the side before attempting to format or write to the card.

Why your update is 12GB? The new version for my car is only 5GB.

Edited by decebal

8 hours ago, decebal said:

Why your update is 12GB? The new version for my car is only 5GB.

I am just going by what was offered to me on the Skoda updates website when I put my VIN into the system. It came up with twp possible updates (see below). "United Kingdom" is only mentioned in the second, 12GB update.

ECE 2 2018

Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine

For downloading  ECE 2 2018 (5,00GB)

ECE 2018

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City
For downloading  ECE 2018 (12,00GB)

26 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

MIB2 vs.MIB1?

There is no CD/DVD in the glovebox (just a blanking plate) and my car was first registered in late 2016 so, from reading other posts on here,  I think I have the Amundsen MIB2. The Skoda SD Card that came with it is also a 16GB card and not an 8GB card.

So yes, maybe the MIB1 has a 5GB map update and the MIB2 a 12GB map update ?

28 minutes ago, BOD20 said:

So yes, maybe the MIB1 has a 5GB map update and the MIB2 a 12GB map update ?

My MIB1 (April 2015 build date) update is 5GB, so that's how it looks to me.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, athon34 said:

MIB 2 & MIB 3 ' update are 12 Go.

Not for my Amundsen MIB2 according to the Skoda update portal. The scheduled May update is now re-scheduled for August instead. The ECE1 2018 and ECE2 2018 maps that are currently offered there are the ones that were made available towards the end of 2017.

• 2 weeks later...