Sat Nav is woeful and dangerous

After a short holiday in which the octavia coped very well with all our family luggage and pushchairs etc, and returned 52mpg (fully laded diesel dsg estate) I was impressed.

What I was not impressed with was the amundsen satnav. I already know this system is lights years behind other manufacturers systems but I find the navigation instruction either verbal or pictorial is notably lagging my current vehicle position. Now this could be mildly irritating but as the situation is very regular I find It downright distracting to to the point of being dangerous.

Now I'm not driving spirited (young kids in back) but I noticed that unless I drive below 20mph around major trunk road roundabouts the Nav system would not cope.

I'm not skodas biggest fan but it's a car and it has a Nav system I paid for in the spec. I expect it to work to a safe and satisfactory level. Are all amundsen systems equally as s###?

I can live with the basic GUI and 1980s graphics but I think it (the Nav system) should cope a little better than what it is and allow me to keep me eyes on the road more.

Anyone have issues?

Anyone have fixes aside from the usual get the dealer to check over?

Ta

• Like 1

Must admit whilst I don't use mine all that often, when I have I have never found the problems you have found. Once or twice it's frozen but not consistently lagged behind or not working after a reset. Maybe take it to the dealer and get them to look at/update it.. What version software is it running?

Must admit Not had a problem with my 2016 Amunsden, I used it daily for 2-3 months when I started driving to work and occasionmally now if there are traffic problems en route, I use it most times I go on Holiday and it has not faulted.

Have you tried an software update on the unit to see if that fixes??? Check with a dealer if unsure to make sure you download the correct software for the unit

Edited by davitc

I've not found mine to lag, but it is crap at routing, almost always giving the same fastest/shortest route when there's a glaringly obvious shorter route available.

Mind you I'm not sure I've ever used an integrated satnav that was properly good at this.  Could be worse you could be driving a Volvo and using their system, which makes the VAG one look like the bleeding edge of routing technology!

I miss my old TomTom.

• Like 1

Hate mine with a passion.

Why will it not let me get past the first  4 digits of a postcode?

Why will it usually only give me a few road names in a town with hundreds of roads beginning with the same letter, but rarely the one I'm looking for?

I usually after 10 minutes of trying every single option available just grab the A-Z and glasses in total frustration  now.

The users instructions are woeful.

Yet the system in my 2014 Superb was actually quite good

My old Tom Tom was light years better than this hateful unit before the battery finally failed, and I bought that in 2002!!!

Edited by Adenuf

Re the postcode thing, you need to type the space between the postcode groups. <belm> at VAG for that.

Oh.

Thanks for that.

I admit embarrassingly now, that i haven't tried that.  :blush:

• Like 1

I try to avoid using mine, it's very hit and miss. Sometimes quite slow as well on approaches to junctions and lacks clarity on exactly where and when it's wanting me to turn. Have done what others have said on a few occasions; switched it off and reached for my old A to Z.

• Like 1

Re the postcode thing, you need to type the space between the postcode groups. <belm> at VAG for that.

You do?

No need to put a space in the post code on the Amundsen in my Octavia, and I think the OP referring to it as having 1980s graphics is a bit over dramatic unless it looks like this.

c64lemans_1.jpg

• Like 4

You do?

No need to put a space in the post code on the Amundsen in my Octavia, and I think the OP referring to it as having 1980s graphics is a bit over dramatic unless it looks like this.

c64lemans_1.jpg

I'm going outside RIGHT now to confirm this or otherwise.

I've just changed from an Audi RS4 Avant with factory RNS-E sat nav to a 2015 Octavia III with Amundsen sat nav, and I have to say the Skoda Amundsen is no better or worse than the Audi RNS-E IMHO.

They both offer silly routes due to their lack of local knowledge, and re-route you due to out-of-date TMC data (that's the fault of the TMC provider not the sat nav).

GPS location will always lag your actual position, unless the update rate is ridiculously fast, but I find the routing instructions clearer and better in the Skoda.

• Like 2

First postcode I tapped in wouldn't give me the option of the last two letters.

2nd postcode did register, but couldn't  find a way of confirming this was the correct road name.

So in essence, yes, I do need to use the space bar, but still not wholly satisfactory, and why is it usually only giving me only half a dozen road name options when typing in the road name that i require, when there are clearly hundreds starting with the same letter in the same area?

Don't bother with the VAG Sat Nav, just go for a Tom Tom, they are much much better!

Loved mine until it finally died after 12 years of excellent service.

SOOOO user friendly.

Hate having stuff stuck on the window though.

Built in is really neat.

Should have bought a Renault Clio then I suppose with built in TomTom.  :D

Edited by Adenuf

I have a tomtom, had it for years but this is my first car with built in NAV and it's much better than I expected, although I'm still not sure what "turn half left" means lol!

• Like 2

Yeah, it's ****e. I used to mine to travel though 20 countries in Europe and it constantly told me to go up one way streets, make turns where turns weren't and use roads that weren't even there (which has now caused my bump to have massive scrapes in). It also randomly tells me to turn left when it means turn right and gives me wrong directions causing me to U turn when it wanted me to go down the street I was already on.

Also dislike that you can't tell it to bypass specific countries. EG: If I want to go to the UK with it from here, it will tell me to go though Kalinigrad, which I cannot do due it to being Russian and not having a visa. There is no way to tell it NOT to go though that country.

Edited by lulzyboy