How many Yeti drivers never had a speeding ticket

Sad555

I've been driving since 62/63, a long time and recently got booked for speeding in a 30mph zone. No excuses i was speeding at 36mph. I did the course which was conducted by the AA and found it very useful. Whilst I think I know what's right and wrong it was good to get a professional view on the subject and see some interesting video with Tiff Needell at the wheel of a sporty Ford.

No tickets then gumdrop?

No speeding tickets, cameras, 20mph limits, caravan to tow,

the Lioness has built in inertial speed "susser" facility, life

really quite dull. Should have bought the Morgan!

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

I've been driving since 62/63, a long time and recently got booked for speeding in a 30mph zone. No excuses i was speeding at 36mph. I did the course which was conducted by the AA and found it very useful. Whilst I think I know what's right and wrong it was good to get a professional view on the subject and see some interesting video with Tiff Needell at the wheel of a sporty Ford.

They could have used someone who could drive properly........mate of mine got nabbed doing 35 in a 30 - did the course, and was more qualified than the person giving the course!

He learnt to drive in the military, so had HGV including hazchem, bike, tractor - just about every licence for a vehicle with wheels.

My AA course was run by 2 Advanced Motorists who both owned and ran driving schools. They offered good advice and insight into everyday driving and awareness.

They could have used someone who could drive properly........mate of mine got nabbed doing 35 in a 30 - did the course, and was more qualified than the person giving the course!

He learnt to drive in the military, so had HGV including hazchem, bike, tractor - just about every licence for a vehicle with wheels.

And? 

Just because you have lots of catagories does not prove you are a good driver.

• Like 1

He drove off fairly sharp when I informed him he had a headlamp out.

My answer to that would have been yes, thank you it blew just before I stopped you and I am on my way back to the office to get it fixed (statutory defence), but first, as I was saying....................  :happy:

Oh and zero (for speeding) in 52 years but nearly got 3 misdirected points last year after a holiday to to Northumberland with the family. A couple of weeks later an N.O.I.P. arrived and I muttered a few oaths as I filled it in with my details. I suddenly thought "Police Scotland ???? - I never crossed the border!" at that point I remembered that the rest of the family had borrowed my car to have a run up to Edinburgh. I stayed behind on the beach - she had the points (but dad forked out the dosh :notme: ).

I reckon that all of us with a zero score have simply never been caught out.

Edited by longedge
  • Like 2

...I reckon that all of us with a zero score have simply never been caught out.

Agreed.  The fine, the points and - worst - the blown reputation :angel: would be very unwelcome.  Even so, though I try to be aware, there are times when I find myself over the top and vulnerable. 

Yes, I've been lucky. 

So far.

Agreed.  The fine, the points and - worst - the blown reputation :angel: would be very unwelcome.  Even so, though I try to be aware, there are times when I find myself over the top and vulnerable. 

Yes, I've been lucky. 

So far.

+1, agreed who hand on heart can say that they have never gone over the speed limit?

I keep to speed limits but why do other drivers Try to get in front of you or to be in front of you

What does it matter why they do it?  Just let them get on with it.  They're the ones that are more likely to get the points/ban.  Their loss.  No skin off your nose either way.

Here is an example of an utterly unnecessary, potentially dangerous and certainly illegal overtake: exceeding the speed limit (although the speed isn't shown on the video, I can assure you that it was), crossing a solid white line, entering a ghost island with a solid border, and all on the approach to a junction.  Why did he do it?  Don't really care.  All I know is that I'd seen him in my mirrors for a while and had had a feeling that he was likely to do something like that once I had had to lose speed in order to keep my distance from the slightly dawdlesome Vauxhall up ahead.  What made it utterly unnecessary was that the overtaking lane switched to our direction no more than half a mile further up the road (as can be seen by the road sign in the final frames of the video).

Full disclosure: I have had one speeding ticket since gaining my licence in 1979.  I was lucky only to get 3 points and £60 IMO: I was clocked doing just under 90mph on a single carriageway NSL road.  No justification or excuse for it.  The only mitigation was that it was a clear, straight main road and involved no shenanigans with any other vehicles, which may be why they decided to be lenient.  And grateful I was for it, too.  Never again.

Without going in to details of what led me to do it, the moral of the story was: never let your emotions affect your driving.  Which brings us back to: why bother worrying about why other people do daft things?  Just accept that they have, and respond as necessary to keep yourself safe.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 3

After looking at a post about speedometers I was wondering, as most Yeti owners are over 30 how many speeding tickets they have acquired over the years,I don't want to tempt providence but I think I've had about 3,all in works vehicles and has anybody never had one?or attended a speed awareness course?

I had 3 between 1960 and 1970, 2 in company cars - not had one since. I have been stopped for speeding 4 times before 1990 and let off with a warning (twice by radar and once by following police car and once when I overtook a police car!)  And once in about 1973 went to court and found not proved.

Norry

Edited by Norry
  • Like 1

I passed my test in 1966 and my one ticket still rankles.

Late August 2004, en route to Aviemore, 0530hrs on a Sunday morning, A80 adjacent to Crowwood House Hotel, Cumbernauld, 38mph in 30mph zone.

38/30, that's fair enough, but it was a 50mph dual carriageway, that suddenly dropped to 30mph coming up to the hotel

where there was a long, third, inside exit lane to the hotel and then a reversion to 50mph immediately afterwards.

In my letter to the North Lanarkshire authorities, I accepted 3 points and parted with £60 but added that as a Englishman, I presumed this was

some sort of Scottish response to Margaret Thatcher having earlier stolen the North Sea oil revenues.

I am constantly reminded of this episode as the paperwork is framed upside down in the smallest room in our house.

As a PS however, the walking holiday was superb and midge free.

I passed my test in 1966 and my one ticket still rankles.

Late August 2004, en route to Aviemore, 0530hrs on a Sunday morning, A80 adjacent to Crowwood House Hotel, Cumbernauld, 38mph in 30mph zone.

38/30, that's fair enough, but it was a 50mph dual carriageway, that suddenly dropped to 30mph coming up to the hotel

where there was a long, third, inside exit lane to the hotel and then a reversion to 50mph immediately afterwards.

In my letter to the North Lanarkshire authorities, I accepted 3 points and parted with £60 but added that as a Englishman, I presumed this was

some sort of Scottish response to Margaret Thatcher having earlier stolen the North Sea oil revenues.

I am constantly reminded of this episode as the paperwork is framed upside down in the smallest room in our house.

As a PS however, the walking holiday was superb and midge free.

You should have told them to take the fine from the £1500 per person that you as an Englishman subsidises each Scot with annually.

On second thoughts perhaps not if you ever intend visiting Scotland again!

None since 1976, even on the bike, only because I've not been caught.

Tempting fate or what?

Edited by CFB

Passed test in 1967. Touch wood no speeding tickets or offences. After passing my test I bought a light blue Morris Minor which was almost the same colour (Smoke Blue) as the Police Panda cars of the day. On dual carriageways I was surprised by the way other car drivers pulled into the nearside lane to allow me to pass. 

Edited by edbostan