Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

Having bought the piggyback part and fitted it to the octavia, I can't see that it would be any different in the Superb TBH and I would have though it's worth the £50 for the part

to try out, if it's not going to fit then I'm sure you will easily be able to sell it to somebody else with the same fault ? 

Is there anybody out there you can tell is the dsg selector is the same part number between models ? 

I can only comment regards my 2018 Fabia DSG. The microswitch is part of the gear selector assembly. Mine was replaced under warranty. The part alone is over £600 I believe. The exhaust had to be removed to gain access. As it's such a common issue among VAG cars, they have introduced a much cheaper fix by producing a switch which is mounted in a way whereby the original gear selector and switch remain in situ. The replacement switch is piggybacked to it. Earlier posts say the cost of the part is £40 - £50 and takes about half an hour to fit. It seems to have a good success rate, however my Fabia still has the issue albeit very occasionally. I would definitely check with another Skoda dealer or contact Skoda UK and speak with technical dept., as there's the potential of saving  a lot of cash?

Just had this problem with a brand new 2020 Kamiq. I had left it not in park but when I selected park the car refused to recognise this and it took multiple selection of drive and park and 6 minutes driving before it cleared. The wing mirrors would not deploy even under motion and the car would not lock. Seems like a software bug to me not re-reading the Park selection switch.

Sorry to hear about the issue/s you have.  My car showed the P park error the day after I bought it new, but seems to happen when one of the doors is opened, even without the key in the ignition barrel. Do you also have the speed limiter problem (I don't have cruise control)? Maxidot shows !LIM. This happens very regularly after a stop/start event, for example waiting at a standstill for entry into a roundabout/ T junction etc.  and pulling away. The speed limiter has to be switched on but not set necessarily. To clear the error needs the ignition to be recycled. I reported this to Skoda in February, and all I'm told is that they are aware of the issue and are investigating. This seems to happen on DSG fitted cars only. I do wonder if they are connected in some way - (ECU)?

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue on my 2016 VRS Octavia. The dealer charged me £75 to diagnose the issue, then said it would be £360 to fix it.

I declined the fix. But have now seen there's a kit you can buy. Does anyone know where I can purchase it from in the UK?

1 hour ago, Hduehs said:

I have this issue on my 2016 VRS Octavia. The dealer charged me £75 to diagnose the issue, then said it would be £360 to fix it.

I declined the fix. But have now seen there's a kit you can buy. Does anyone know where I can purchase it from in the UK?

This is what annoys me about the attitude of Skoda UK (and VAG).  They expect us to pay to diagnose a problem that should be covered by a recall.  Although it's not an MOT failure it is very distracting and annoying. In the US this is covered by a recall.

It's putting me off buying another VAG car.

Edited by MrkSkoda

On 30/09/2020 at 14:24, Hduehs said:

Go back to pages 13 14 15 that kind of area, read the description, 5Q0-713-128-A is the part you need to fix the problem for about £50 and it's pretty straight forward to fix with this part although you may need to get the error code cleared as well. 

It's pretty disgusting that this issue isn't a recall on all the VAG models that are blighted with the fault, this will only get bigger and bigger as cars get older I suspect, this is where a brilliant forum such as this comes in handy, I am no expert in these things but I read through the whole thread to the point where the part number and the photos showing the fix are, ordered the part and hey presto problem solved and posted up my thanks to the original member that came up with the solution.

It would seem that the dealers are able to take advantage of a lot of people because they either don't have the time, or know how to search to a fix to this problem, best of luck to you all and thanks to everybody that takes the time to post these helpful fixes for our cars. 

Part number 5Q0-713-128-A you can get it from the dealer or auto factors. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2020 at 18:11, Superbstu said:

It's pretty disgusting that this issue isn't a recall on all the VAG models that are blighted with the fault, this will only get bigger and bigger as cars get older I suspect, this is where a brilliant forum such as this comes in handy, I am no expert in these things but I read through the whole thread to the point where the part number and the photos showing the fix are, ordered the part and hey presto problem solved and posted up my thanks to the original member that came up with the solution.

It would seem that the dealers are able to take advantage of a lot of people because they either don't have the time, or know how to search to a fix to this problem, best of luck to you all and thanks to everybody that takes the time to post these helpful fixes for our cars. 

I totally agree with the above.  When I pointed out to my local dealer that this is a common fault mentioned on many forums, their reaction was that dealers don't read forums. 

On 01/10/2020 at 18:11, Superbstu said:

Go back to pages 13 14 15 that kind of area, read the description, 5Q0-713-128-A is the part you need to fix the problem for about £50 and it's pretty straight forward to fix with this part although you may need to get the error code cleared as well. 

Part number 5Q0-713-128-A you can get it from the dealer or auto factors. 

Thanks - I had seen the part number mentioned but when I search online I only find sites in the EU that are selling it, no UK-based ones. The dealership said that they do not stock this part though I think they're doing their best not to help at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,
I'm writing from Poland
on my Golf 7.5 with a 2.0 engine and dsg, I have a similar problem with DSG "P" position.
it looks like there is a global problem, so in the usa and canada  this problem is "service action" (in the link), there is also a repair manual. I hope I helped someone.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf

• Like 1

On 03/10/2020 at 19:47, Hduehs said:

I've just bought from skoda-parts.com, £49 in total. 

So I fitted my switch this weekend and it was unbelievably easy. It took me about 20 minutes once I figured out how to get the gear shrouding off.

I'll upload a picture shortly in case it helps other Octavia VRS owners. Thanks for the info in this thread. I saved myself £300+ :) Shame on Skoda for not making this a recall and even worse, going for the more expensive gearbox repair option when an official part can be fitted so easily.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2020 at 13:58, Hduehs said:

So I fitted my switch this weekend and it was unbelievably easy. It took me about 20 minutes once I figured out how to get the gear shrouding off.

I'll upload a picture shortly in case it helps other Octavia VRS owners. Thanks for the info in this thread. I saved myself £300+ :) Shame on Skoda for not making this a recall and even worse, going for the more expensive gearbox repair option when an official part can be fitted so easily.

My switch has arrived today, looks fairly easy to fit, just getting the trim off and hoping the car doesn't roll down the street!