Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

Sorry if not the right place, but didn’t want to lose thread topic. My eldest daughters 2016 Skoda Fabia has started displaying this message now. Were those models given a recall notice for this fault or will she have to pay out a small fortune for the fix?

Does it stop the car driving at all, or is it just one of those annoying fault messages?

1 hour ago, cervaro67 said:

Sorry if not the right place, but didn’t want to lose thread topic. My eldest daughters 2016 Skoda Fabia has started displaying this message now. Were those models given a recall notice for this fault or will she have to pay out a small fortune for the fix?

Does it stop the car driving at all, or is it just one of those annoying fault messages?

Not sure about the Fabia, but if the same as the Octavia it is a Microswitch on the gearbox. On the Octavia they can be piggybacked to the existing switch and the connections moved over I believe so shouldn't be an expensive job, but I guest depends on the garage.

@cervaro67Welcome to the forum.    http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

No Recall, nor Recall Action or Service Campaign but there is a TPI and the fix need not cost a fortune. 

Mk3 Fabia Section has the threads. 

Like this one.

It is a DQ200 DSG.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505730-weird-message-only-leave-vehicle-in-postion-p

See post page 2 9th August 2022 by @varooom

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/501580-error-workshop-only-leave-in-position-p

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had this error fixed while in warranty and now when the car is 8 years old, the error appeared again (3 times this month).

Aside from the weird warning, what can happen if this is ignored?

Yes, unfortunately Skoda is a very poor built car. I have sold it after 6 months and bought something decent. I suggest you do the same! Waste of a good engine in a crappy made car! Sorry if i upset the purists but this is what i felt after only 6 months of ownership and 12000miles. 

3 hours ago, AndyM20 said:

Yes, unfortunately Skoda is a very poor built car. I have sold it after 6 months and bought something decent. I suggest you do the same! Waste of a good engine in a crappy made car! Sorry if i upset the purists but this is what i felt after only 6 months of ownership and 12000miles. 

Sounds like you've been unlucky - from 2006 until 2016 I had an Audi RS4 Avant (4.2 V8) but retirement meant I needed something more sensible and since then I've had a couple of Mk3 Octavias (a 1.4TSI Elegance estate and a 1.8TSI L&K hatch) and had fewer build quality issues than I had with the RS4.

• Like 3

Personal preference! I had the top spec Laurin Clement 2l. Awful noisy car, even on the motorway I couldn’t hear the radio inside! Wouldn’t rate it more than 2 out 10. Sorry, I’m sure there are lots that will disagree but this was my experience. Not to mention, to replace a DLR, you need a new headlight and bumper out. That was the top for me and I decided to get rid of! 

• Sad 1

On 15/05/2020 at 18:42, Atenza said:

Problem solved only £40, I bought the switch from a friend "mechanic" and it tog me a half hour to mount on top of the DSG gear shift very easy so the only thing you need is 5Q0-713-128-A, some tools and how to put it in.

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf 2.82 MB · 143 downloads

Any video on this?  Pdf instructions seem very complicated to me.

• 3 months later...

I just went to remove trim to check what type of microswitch would I need, and then I saw this:

https://imgur.com/a/0o3MZKI

I have a multi-lock on a gearbox installed from when the car was new and I guess this black part blocking everything is part of the multi-lock. Which means I probably wont be able to replace microswitch. Not a good news 😞

35 minutes ago, toni8b said:

I just went to remove trim to check what type of microswitch would I need, and then I saw this:

https://imgur.com/a/0o3MZKI

I have a multi-lock on a gearbox installed from when the car was new and I guess this black part blocking everything is part of the multi-lock. Which means I probably wont be able to replace microswitch. Not a good news 😞

What is a Multilock?  When I asked Skoda to look at my wife's car they said they would only know if they could replace the microswitch when they opened it up. They did so and told me unfortunately mine was one that could not be repaired.  Assuming it is the same as yours then?

On 17/11/2023 at 14:22, Steviedakota said:

What is a Multilock?  When I asked Skoda to look at my wife's car they said they would only know if they could replace the microswitch when they opened it up. They did so and told me unfortunately mine was one that could not be repaired.  Assuming it is the same as yours then?

Its like anti theft device which uses a lock to lock a geabox in P position with a key (which is inserted on the right of gearbox).

However, I had this lock installed when the car was new, and my dealer actually did already a fix on this gearbox (for the same message issue "leave vechicle only..") some years later.

So they did already fixed this when this lock was present.

But I dont know what they have actually done (havent asked at the time).

I dont think they replaced microswitch (maybe they did) but not sure what was offical Skoda fix for that. I remember reading somewhere it was new gear selector or something...

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I had this issue and have just installed the microswitch. It is operating normally (i.e. it detects when gear is in P and let me take the key out or not if it isn't) so I assume it working as expected. But I can still see the warning message appearing.

Do I need to do anything to reset the warning sign?