Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

On 28/02/2021 at 17:23, ords said:

It's from one of those trusted traders sites. It's a mobile fitting service. I get a years warranty. I haven't got a price from Skoda but no harm in phoning  I guess.

This backfired on me completely

New belt & pump fitted. After 10 min of running, a popping sound & engine stops.  Mechanic blames a failed tensioner caused the belt to slip.

He had it towed to a garage of his choice as he didn't want to replace the belt & try again.

Engine stripped, most valve stems broken but pistons were ok as it only happened at idle speed.

Got it back today & so far so good after an hours test drive.

Ironic thing is the old belt was in very good condition. 

As the saying goes " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I'm only following Skoda UK's guidelines for belt replacement.

2 hours ago, misor1994 said:

Guys, this is not a topic about timing belt, but about gear selector. 

My comments were in relation to a comment by  @Mrkskoda on 27.2.21 

If you want to find fault by things going slightly off topic then start reading the threads from the beginning when this forum was set up. You will find plenty of examples.

Suggest in future you look at the comments first to see why they went off topic before commenting.

12 hours ago, ords said:

If you want to find fault by things going slightly off topic then start reading the threads from the beginning when this forum was set up. You will find plenty of examples.

Suggest in future you look at the comments first to see why they went off topic before commenting.

Or he could have been trying to help you out in case you had accidentally commented on the wrong topic. Just a thought...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NikTheGeek said:

Or he could have been trying to help you out in case you had accidentally commented on the wrong topic. Just a thought...

I made my point.  He should have read the comments to see why it had gone slightly off topic before commenting.

On 23/03/2021 at 12:19, Nevals said:

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if this switch can be changed on Superb MKIII (2016)?
Or do I need to change the complete gear selector assembly?

Thank you in advance.

Yes the switch can be changed in the box. You have picture from insight the shifter box in attach but to do that you have to disassemble whole central part in the car from the rear to the climatronic. 

IMG_20201223_191941.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kufer said:

Yes the switch can be changed in the box. You have picture from insight the shifter box in attach but to do that you have to disassemble whole central part in the car from the rear to the climatronic. 

IMG_20201223_191941.jpg

I will take it to the dealership in my town, to see what they have to say.
I'm afraid that I will probably get the answer that the complete assembly needs to be changed.

But it's good to know that only switch can be replaced, now the problem is to find a mechanic willing to do that :D

On 27/03/2021 at 23:18, ords said:

Well, I suggest to always have a look at the topic subject before commenting anything in the future to avoid OT comments. :)  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, misor1994 said:

Well, I suggest to always have a look at the topic subject before commenting anything in the future to avoid OT comments. :)  

I will carry on as I have been doing. Your comment was completely unnecessary as my comment was in reply to a posters comment which had gone slightly off topic.

• Groan 1

On 26/03/2021 at 15:08, Hozz said:

Just had my Superb Mk III (2016) into my dealer who tells me the complete gear selector needs to be changed at a total cost of £758.40.

I think I will leave it for the moment and see how it goes as it has only happened twice and cleared within 10 minutes.

Oh damn, I've got a 2016 superb that's started doing the same thing as well, so was hoping the sensor bypass would work. :sadsmile:

I've started using the trick of going forward and back between park and drive a few times to clear off the sensor and its barely done it since which is a bonus. 

Why do these things always happen when the warranty expires. I think for the sake of over £700 I can put up with an occasion warning light though :D

Just now, Luke101 said:

Oh damn, I've got a 2016 superb that's started doing the same thing as well, so was hoping the sensor bypass would work. :sadsmile:

I've started using the trick of going forward and back between park and drive a few times to clear off the sensor and its barely done it since which is a bonus. 

Why do these things always happen when the warranty expires. I think for the sake of over £700 I can put up with an occasion warning light though :D

Never mind, ignore me,

I've just seen the later posts of it being done. That'll teach me to read ahead :D

On 01/04/2021 at 19:09, Kufer said:

Here is how i changed my switch on Skoda Superb 3 2016.

What a fantastic video!

Did you try the piggyback solution or did you just go for replacing the switch?

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 14:00, BCUK said:

How many times do you need to exercise the gear stick?

About 5 or 6 times to get rid of the 'dust' as I say. Nothing too strenuous! 

On 19/10/2020 at 17:22, Steviedakota said:

Careful lads, you'll go blind doing that. :biggrin:

Too late lol!

On 27/11/2020 at 10:10, kamilm594 said:

So basically they know about that fault and it would be replaced under the warranty but they can't do it because there is no fault in the history. Is there anything I can do to store that fault in the history of it come up again on the dash board??

IMG_20201127_100951.jpg

Just started to get this issue on my 67 plate DSG. I had to call Skoda assist for another issue and asked him to check for this and it was in the log. The engineer recorded this in his log for the vehicle and said to keep an eye on it. If it re-occurs to report straight back to The dealer. Not sure why yours isn’t recorded.

• 3 months later...

I had the error message 'workshop error leave vehicle only in position p' come up twice on a drive only once in June. Dealer scanned it the next week for free and said it's gonna need a new gear selector mechanism. This was on a 17 plate facelift model and the repair was done under warranty (approved used). Don't know why some dealers are telling people to keep an eye on it or saying they didn't find any logged faults.

5 minutes ago, kratos18 said:

I had the error message 'workshop error leave vehicle only in position p' come up twice on a drive only once in June. Dealer scanned it the next week for free and said it's gonna need a new gear selector mechanism. This was on a 17 plate facelift model and the repair was done under warranty (approved used). Don't know why some dealers are telling people to keep an eye on it or saying they didn't find any logged faults.

The Engineer told me that the Error message you see doesn't always result in it being logged for some reason, he had come across this before, could be a bug in the logging software I guess. I didn't need a new gear selector mechanism either, its a microswitch that gets gummed up. Apparently the repair is just a case of piggybacking a new microswitch on the existing one and swapping the wires.

Edited by FrankNicklin

22 minutes ago, FZS1 said:

And hope that the selector surround/centre console don't get scuffed in the process.

Murray Skoda scratched mine, but they had no issue with replacing the trim when I complained, they just had to order it in...

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tirane said:

Urgent plz.

Move selector to PrN position. 

Car want start .

Any ideas anyone. 

1.6 Dsg 2011 

It’s a Microswitch on the gearbox. Gets gummed up you could try to clean it but probably best to replace. You can piggyback the replacement on to the original apparently. Had mine done under warranty.

Edited by FrankNicklin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tirane said:

Urgent plz.

Move selector to PrN position. 

Car want start .

Any ideas anyone. 

1.6 Dsg 2011 

Assuming you have the same microswitch issue as others, what happens is that even though the gear selector is in P, the car thinks it's in another position and gives an error. Some people have had luck with a temporary fix by moving the selector back and forth about 50 times. Try it and you might be able to start your car until you get the part replaced.

• Like 1