Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

• 2 weeks later...

My 2016 Superb Mk 3 Diesel DSG has the developed the false alert 'Error: Workshop....Leave vehicle in position P.'  

I asked my Skoda dealer to look up with the VIN number, the appropriate ‘piggyback’ 3Q0713128 (A or B??) switch/PCB in order that I may fit it to rectify the problem. 

He said that his parts computer was showing that there was no switch available for my May 2016 Superb Mk3 car.  He mentioned that it might be a software fix!  Does anyone know what specific software ‘fix’ I should ask for?  Has any reader successfully had a software adjustment for this issue?

Alternatively, I would be very grateful to receive advice regarding the Skoda part number of a suitable aftermarket switch for my 2016 Superb Mk3.

On 03/09/2021 at 20:54, bluegrass said:

My 2016 Superb Mk 3 Diesel DSG has the developed the false alert 'Error: Workshop....Leave vehicle in position P.'  

I asked my Skoda dealer to look up with the VIN number, the appropriate ‘piggyback’ 3Q0713128 (A or B??) switch/PCB in order that I may fit it to rectify the problem. 

He said that his parts computer was showing that there was no switch available for my May 2016 Superb Mk3 car.  He mentioned that it might be a software fix!  Does anyone know what specific software ‘fix’ I should ask for?  Has any reader successfully had a software adjustment for this issue?

Alternatively, I would be very grateful to receive advice regarding the Skoda part number of a suitable aftermarket switch for my 2016 Superb Mk3.

Don’t think there is a software fix, it’s a physical switch that gets gummed up and doesn’t know if the car is in P or D. If a software fix was available what would it do other than disable the switch which defeats the object of having the switch in the first place.

On 14/03/2017 at 16:40, KenONeill said:

It shouldn't be doing that as a warning, but the last 2 or 3 autos I've driven wouldn't let you remove the key unless you'd selected P first.

I turned the engine off before selecting 'P' (the first time I have done that)  and I could not remove the key. I had to restart the engine and select 'P'.

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

I turned the engine off before selecting 'P' (the first time I have done that)  and I could not remove the key. I had to restart the engine and select 'P'.

I’ve done the same, but never had to start the engine to move to P before removing the key. I have always been able to move the gear lever to P without the engine running.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicklin said:

I’ve done the same, but never had to start the engine to move to P before removing the key. I have always been able to move the gear lever to P without the engine running.

I can select park with the engine off but unless there is another unknown factor in play I have not been able to remove the key without starting the engine.

This is the second time I have turned the engine off before selecting 'P' it is, hopefully, not becoming a habit. Just a quick return trip to the local supermarket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 16:40, kenzo81 said:

i fixed mine :)      shops in Denmark are way to expensiv.. some sleeples night payed off...

https://www.oemvwshop.com/5q0713128a-micro-switch-volkswagen-golf-5g-p2280955/

remember : google is ur friend :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAUhOzkHDA

Hi,

I also recently repaired the 'Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p' issue on my Octavia myself using the same part & method @kenzo81 refers to in their post ⬆️. However, I got my part from Deutsche Parts: https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/vw-audi-skoda-seat-mqb-cars-dsg-gear-selector-repair-kit-new-genuine-vw-part-1.html.  I watched several videos on YouTube, including the one in @kenzo81's post & the one embedded on the Deutsche Parts page. I also got hold of some 'instructions' online (I can't remember where, possibly from here!) which helped, so I've attached them to this post in case any one else finds them useful too. Please note that the instructions are for VW models but they still give you the basic knowledge & steps required to complete the fix. 

I'd describe myself as a regular bloke, with no more than average ability & I can vouch that, providing you have all the tools you need, a bit of patience & a methodical/logical approach, the fix is relatively easy to do (allow an hour to do it it comfortably) & does work!

My car is approx. 17 months out of the 3 year warranty, & even though it's only done 34k & has a FSH with a main dealer, rightly or wrongly I just couldn't be bothered to argue with Skoda about getting it repaired FOC! I bought my car from Trust Skoda Stourbridge in March this year (2021) but I live just outside Southampton so I didn't fancy the roundtrip unless I was guaranteed they'd sort it out... My local dealer, Richmond Skoda Botley, (who to be fair didn't sell me the car) wanted something like £70+ just to do the diagnostics. Even if I'd managed to get either of the garages to do the work FOC it would still have cost me more than the parts in either diagnostics &/or fuel, hence why I bit the bullet & did it my self. 

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/09/2021 at 18:38, GrandmasterFaff said:

Hi,

I also recently repaired the 'Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p' issue on my Octavia myself using the same part & method @kenzo81 refers to in their post ⬆️. However, I got my part from Deutsche Parts: https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/vw-audi-skoda-seat-mqb-cars-dsg-gear-selector-repair-kit-new-genuine-vw-part-1.html.  I watched several videos on YouTube, including the one in @kenzo81's post & the one embedded on the Deutsche Parts page. I also got hold of some 'instructions' online (I can't remember where, possibly from here!) which helped, so I've attached them to this post in case any one else finds them useful too. Please note that the instructions are for VW models but they still give you the basic knowledge & steps required to complete the fix. 

I'd describe myself as a regular bloke, with no more than average ability & I can vouch that, providing you have all the tools you need, a bit of patience & a methodical/logical approach, the fix is relatively easy to do (allow an hour to do it it comfortably) & does work!

My car is approx. 17 months out of the 3 year warranty, & even though it's only done 34k & has a FSH with a main dealer, rightly or wrongly I just couldn't be bothered to argue with Skoda about getting it repaired FOC! I bought my car from Trust Skoda Stourbridge in March this year (2021) but I live just outside Southampton so I didn't fancy the roundtrip unless I was guaranteed they'd sort it out... My local dealer, Richmond Skoda Botley, (who to be fair didn't sell me the car) wanted something like £70+ just to do the diagnostics. Even if I'd managed to get either of the garages to do the work FOC it would still have cost me more than the parts in either diagnostics &/or fuel, hence why I bit the bullet & did it my self. 

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf 2.82 MB · 16 downloads

Hey @GrandmasterFaff!  Thank you for posting.  I just got my switch today... as with most of the horror stories here, unless the error is logged even if it happened, Skoda won't replace the part.  Funnily enough, they acknowledge that it is an issue but they said their hands are tied due to orders from Skoda Australia or just the policy, in general.  Went to 2 dealerships here in VIC and was given the same spiel.  The one today wanted me to pay for the repair (approx. AUD420) and said that buying the part and having it installed by a private independents will not help, as they are the only ones who can do it.  Ha!  I did not cave and just went around to parts and bought it (costed me a 3rd).  This is Skoda Richmond and the other shop that declined it was Bayside Skoda. 

They always say to me they don't use fora (though they should because they look like idiots) and that forum people are a bunch of cowboys.  He looked like an idiot saying that because he is about to get a bad rating from his survey.  While I get the whole rules thing, if it is a known issue, I just cannot accept that they will not cover it, even under warranty.

Now, to the question, was it easy to do?  Did you have to reset anything?

1 hour ago, gresini15 said:

they don't use fora (though they should because they look like idiots) and that forum people are a bunch of cowboys.

OTOH our wallets are not attached to "how big a bill you get".

14 hours ago, KenONeill said:

OTOH our wallets are not attached to "how big a bill you get".

Agree,@KenONeill.  I was straightforward with them and said I am disappointed.  They did not care.  They will hear about it in the survey.  They do have a thing about learning from people who read from fora.  I noticed that.  Even if the approach is a diplomatic one, they get offended, specially with issues like this, or anything they cannot fix, for that matter.

On 19/10/2021 at 08:14, gresini15 said:

Hey @GrandmasterFaff!  Thank you for posting.  I just got my switch today... as with most of the horror stories here, unless the error is logged even if it happened, Skoda won't replace the part.  Funnily enough, they acknowledge that it is an issue but they said their hands are tied due to orders from Skoda Australia or just the policy, in general.  Went to 2 dealerships here in VIC and was given the same spiel.  The one today wanted me to pay for the repair (approx. AUD420) and said that buying the part and having it installed by a private independents will not help, as they are the only ones who can do it.  Ha!  I did not cave and just went around to parts and bought it (costed me a 3rd).  This is Skoda Richmond and the other shop that declined it was Bayside Skoda. 

They always say to me they don't use fora (though they should because they look like idiots) and that forum people are a bunch of cowboys.  He looked like an idiot saying that because he is about to get a bad rating from his survey.  While I get the whole rules thing, if it is a known issue, I just cannot accept that they will not cover it, even under warranty.

Now, to the question, was it easy to do?  Did you have to reset anything?

Hi @gresini15, I'm glad you found my post useful. 🙂 The job itself is relatively straightforward, if not a bit fiddly at times, but as long as you have a basic toolkit, are patient & use the instructions I attached to my post as a rough guide (as well as the YouTube videos etc.) you should be fine. One top tip I followed & would definitely recommend is to cover the opening into the gear selector mechanism with some tape or something - if you accidently drop a screw or something down there you'll be in a whole world of pain! 🤬

The fix worked for me instantly with no need to reset anything. However, I did borrow a friends consumer grade OBD scanning tool (Carista) shortly after just out of curiosity & to reset a few codes etc., but this was a 'nice to have' rather than something essential if that makes sense.

It's interesting (& a shame) that the dealerships can so often be defensive about stuff like this rather than being open minded about learning from owners & enthusiasts - ultimately I guess it all comes down to what they can & can't make money from though! 🤑

15 hours ago, GrandmasterFaff said:

Hi @gresini15, I'm glad you found my post useful. 🙂 The job itself is relatively straightforward, if not a bit fiddly at times, but as long as you have a basic toolkit, are patient & use the instructions I attached to my post as a rough guide (as well as the YouTube videos etc.) you should be fine. One top tip I followed & would definitely recommend is to cover the opening into the gear selector mechanism with some tape or something - if you accidently drop a screw or something down there you'll be in a whole world of pain! 🤬

The fix worked for me instantly with no need to reset anything. However, I did borrow a friends consumer grade OBD scanning tool (Carista) shortly after just out of curiosity & to reset a few codes etc., but this was a 'nice to have' rather than something essential if that makes sense.

It's interesting (& a shame) that the dealerships can so often be defensive about stuff like this rather than being open minded about learning from owners & enthusiasts - ultimately I guess it all comes down to what they can & can't make money from though! 🤑

Thank you for the helpful tips, @grandmasterbray.  I will give it a go and maybe even make a video for everyone else to use. 

Keep you posted.

• Thanks 1

Just FYI, I performed the micro switch fix on my golf Mk7 and I needed to clear the error after. Not sure if the error would have disappeared by itself. I called VW who put me through to parts department and they said you needed 'coding' to clear the error... My assumption was he meant clearing the error.

20 minutes ago, BCUK said:

Just FYI, I performed the micro switch fix on my golf Mk7 and I needed to clear the error after. Not sure if the error would have disappeared by itself. I called VW who put me through to parts department and they said you needed 'coding' to clear the error... My assumption was he meant clearing the error.

AHHH!  Thank you, @BCUK.  Did you just use VCDS -scanned and cleared the error?

11 minutes ago, BCUK said:

I used OBD11 to scan then clear. 

If anyone wants the link to the tutorial I followed on YouTube see link 

https://youtu.be/LyrdVgaX5Hw

Got it!  Yes.  I have seen this link and have downloaded it, as part of  my guides for this fix. 

Appreciate it.  I have VCDS so will clear it using that.

• 5 months later...
On 29/03/2021 at 11:57, Kufer said:

Yes the switch can be changed in the box. You have picture from insight the shifter box in attach but to do that you have to disassemble whole central part in the car from the rear to the climatronic. 

IMG_20201223_191941.jpg

Hi, do you know is it the same micro switch on octavia 3 2015? An is it possible to change like on Superb? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have been getting this message on and off for over a year.  It's hardly on for more than 2 seconds.  Today it came on twice and I could just about read it before it went off.

Skoda tell me it's either a microswitch which will cost £160 or a whole lever assembly.  What happens if I just leave it?

Apparently the new switch can piggyback the old switch and is relatively easy job to do. Any garage should be able to sort for an hours Labour. As for leaving it should t be a problem as long as there are no permanent warning lights on the dash as that’s an MOT fail.