HELP! Steering wheel MFSW retrofit issues/questions

Question though, reg. cruise control: it works ok but to increase/decrease speed you need to keep the buttons pressed. They don't change speed when you just click them once (like in 5 or 10km/h increments, for example).

is this default behavior?

Mine goes up and down by 1 kph increments - but I expect that is just because it is the minimum it recognizes when pressed quickly. So I think yes, its the default and not abnormal.

I'm not pressing it quickly. I tap like once a second foe example. And it should pick up speed, even 1km/h every second. So after 5 sec you should see/feel 5km/h more..but i don't :)

long pressing it however feels like linear acceleration

2 hours ago, zice said:

I'm not pressing it quickly. I tap like once a second foe example. And it should pick up speed, even 1km/h every second. So after 5 sec you should see/feel 5km/h more..but i don't :)

long pressing it however feels like linear acceleration

tested it more, it seems it's picking up speed slightly but somehow doesn't register in the speedometer quickly. Maybe because it's picking up very slow?

Example: drive 130km/h, set cruise, press once 4-5 times the + button (5 clicks in about 3-4 seconds). Kind of feels it's picking up speed, can't see it in digital speedometer in MFD, but after those 3,4,5 seconds, even more you eventually see 134km/h or something...

I guess it works but has some kind of delay, or maybe i'm used to other cruisecontrols (Mercedes has a dedicated stick for it, soft push up/down does +/- 5km/h, hard push until you feel a click does +/- 10kmh), but it does it fast and you see the +/- speed in km/h immediately.

Overall i'm very happy with it, everything works, buttons, cruise control. Perfect.

Even my aftermarket chinese android headunit gets along fine with it, i can control it with no button remap or anything. Nice.

Here's how it looks, all lit up. The navi lights are green but don't show properly in the picture. They are RGB so i can change them to any colour needed.

Highly recommend Joying units for VW, if anyone's interested what it is...

Lighting

ambient.jpeg

Before & After

wheels.jpg

Edited by zice

So to recap, parts needed:

- Control module 5K0 953 549B Highline (pre-installed in the car was 549 plain, no letters)

- set of 2 sticks (or whatchamacall it) with cruise control on left and no MFD controls on right

- Yeti/Rapid/S2 FL Wheel, 3 Spoke, with telephone: 5L0 419 091G. this wheel contains the 5E0 919 719F buttons (confirmed in VCDS, didn't pry them open :))

- Octavia 3(?) airbag (i think, because it came with a flat bottomed, red stitched wheel like for vRS, but with no vRS badge)

- Cabling 5E0 971 584A (came with the airbag above)

I should be getting the VCDS print in the next days from the awesome guy who made it all possible ;)

Fitting the wheel was peanuts...the tip of the iceberg. Hooking up the cable between ECU and steering module was the real deal...

56 minutes ago, zice said:

tested it more, it seems it's picking up speed slightly but somehow doesn't register in the speedometer quickly. Maybe because it's picking up very slow?

Yes - it is slow and gradual. Sounds like it is working normally. My BMW worked much like the Merc you mentioned but it had it Cruise Control on the MFSW.

Zice, the cruise control on the SII is quite antiquated. There is quite a pause especially compared to the SIII and the latest Fabia both of which respond in the way you were expecting, but you easily get used to it. 

50 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

Zice, the cruise control on the SII is quite antiquated. There is quite a pause especially compared to the SIII and the latest Fabia both of which respond in the way you were expecting, but you easily get used to it. 

yes, i believe so. Didn't test on Fabia/Superb 3 but i know it from a 2016 mercedes, that is quite different in response.

but i'm happy, it does the job. I'll mostly rely on the gas/brake pedals instead of +/- buttons :) and then SET the speed.

11 hours ago, zice said:

Example: drive 130km/h, set cruise, press once 4-5 times the + button (5 clicks in about 3-4 seconds). Kind of feels it's picking up speed, can't see it in digital speedometer in MFD, but after those 3,4,5 seconds, even more you eventually see 134km/h or something...

I guess it works but has some kind of delay, or maybe i'm used to other cruisecontrols (Mercedes has a dedicated stick for it, soft push up/down does +/- 5km/h, hard push until you feel a click does +/- 10kmh), but it does it fast and you see the +/- speed in km/h immediately.

Overall i'm very happy with it, everything works, buttons, cruise control. Perfect.

Even my aftermarket chinese android headunit gets along fine with it, i can control it with no button remap or anything. Nice.

Here's how it looks, all lit up. The navi lights are green but don't show properly in the picture. They are RGB so i can change them to any colour needed.

Highly recommend Joying units for VW, if anyone's interested what it is...

Lighting

ambient.jpeg

Before & After

wheels.jpg

Looks much better i hate the cheap plastic look of the original wheel.

• 1 month later...

So....couldn't stand the itch and decided to replace this "simple" 3-spoke MFSW with a flat bottomed one, white/grey stitching and with DSG paddles :)

Knowing my previous compatibility issues with Octavia 3 wheels, i pretty much have to swap the buttons from the Yeti one to the new wheel, which is an Octavia one and comes obviously with incompatible buttons.

Is it a straight fwd job to take them out (with trim or not?) and fit them in the paddle wheel?

What else do i need to look for? Any special wires that control the paddles that may be missing in the "old compatible" wheel with no DSG paddles?

VCDS coding should be the easy part, i'm worried about the actual removal / refit job of the button command blocks.

Also, could the bottom trim (where the VRS logo is) also be swapped, or is it shorter on the flat-bottomed wheel than on regular round one?

I have no VRS or red elements in the car and that's why i chose white stitching and ideally no VRS badge on wheel :P

So basically i'm gonna do a Frankenstein job from 2 wheels...

Thx in advance!

Edited by zice

@zice - if you buy the one in your link, it already has buttons compatible with a MK2 Octavia installed.

Switching buttons from one wheel to another is easy enough. The trim piece comes off the wheel with both set of buttons attached, you can then remove the buttons and swap them. Just pay attention to where the wires go.

The paddles use the normal communication method between the buttons and steering controller, bare in mind not all buttons support paddles. Not sure about coding.

I believe the bottom trim comes out but I've never tried to remove mine. They are different lengths between the round and flat bottom wheels.

17 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@zice - if you buy the one in your link, it already has buttons compatible with a MK2 Octavia installed.

Switching buttons from one wheel to another is easy enough. The trim piece comes off the wheel with both set of buttons attached, you can then remove the buttons and swap them. Just pay attention to where the wires go.

The paddles use the normal communication method between the buttons and steering controller, bare in mind not all buttons support paddles. Not sure about coding.

I believe the bottom trim comes out but I've never tried to remove mine. They are different lengths between the round and flat bottom wheels.

well, i bought one already, the one in the link was just to show how it looks like.

I can check the wheel Code and post it here in a few min. No idea what part# the one in the link has....

But then again...it's the buttons part# that is the crucial aspect here, not the wheel itself....

it would be the $hit if it just works as a simple wheel swap and wouldn't need to swap the buttons (due to the compatible controller with the highline calculator, not so much the buttons themselves) from the old one :D

so if the trim comes off with the buttons, i might as well swap them together with the trim...

Is there a documented way on how to remove the trim & buttons? The guy who helps me is scared it may take a long time since he had bad experiences with a VW MK7 wheel before :) 

Edited by zice

OK so the new wheel code is 5E0 419 091 AQ HTS

The buttons are 5E0 419 685 A FOD (LE: Nevermind this is the code for the cover only....)

It looks like i have to use the new wheel with the old buttons...i'll try a straight swap first though, to confirm it doesn't work...

Edited by zice

@zice I haven't got a guide but the button removal is super easy.

You can just about make out the locating pins on the top of the image, it just needs pulling out. Once out, the buttons are screwed to the rear of the trim.

s-l1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@zice I haven't got a guide but the button removal is super easy.

You can just about make out the locating pins on the top of the image, it just needs pulling out. Once out, the buttons are screwed to the rear of the trim.

THX, so i might as well swap the whole trim with the buttons and cabling attached....

Hopefully the old ones (Part# 5E0 919 719F) support paddles?? Do you know?

I found an old post of yours saying that for DSG paddles, 5E0 919 719G is needed.

I have the 5E0 919 719F....is the difference only in cabling? Can anything be done to adapt the "F" buttons to support paddles?

Edited by zice

12 minutes ago, langers2k said:

If they weren't fitted with DSG paddles I wouldn't expect them to work.

I think you need to switch 5E0919719F with 5E0919719G.

worst case i swap trim with buttons on new wheel and use it without paddles until i get a replacement buttons/controller 5E0919719G......

From here i see description: "These buttons are with DSG paddle plugs preparation"

So is it wiring only? The paddles must plug into this controller i guess. Does it have an extra plug or something, as opposed to 5E0919719F ?

One other question: suppose i leave the RS wheel with paddles with its buttons and everything as it is.

Can the buttons be coded (reassigned) in VCDS to mimick the properly working ones?

Edited by zice

nevermind. slots for the paddle connectors are there, but they're empty, no pins on the circuit board...

no way around getting the 5E0919719G...

other than that, everything works fine after the trim+buttons transplant, except paddles of course.

will order online, anyone know a cheap & fast store? :)

Is the cruise control showing in your MFD when it is switched on? You can adjust the speed digitally by 1 Km/h or 1 M/h by pressing the stalk up or down. If it is not showing in the bottom right corner you can activate it to be displayed.

STG 17, fct 10, activate GRA high.

16 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

Is the cruise control showing in your MFD when it is switched on? You can adjust the speed digitally by 1 Km/h or 1 M/h by pressing the stalk up or down. If it is not showing in the bottom right corner you can activate it to be displayed.

STG 17, fct 10, activate GRA high.

This is what i see in the MFD when cruise is activated. Only the green icon appears and the digital speedometer shows the current speed.

What do you mean "press the stalk up or down"? It has small click buttons (SET and RES) at the tip of the stalk which can be long pressed to increase/decrease speed when CC is activated. Short clicking them does nothing apparently. To increase/decrease speed i have to long press them (keep pressed 2-3 seconds then speed goes up or down in a linear fashion, gas-pedal like)

mfd.jpg

Edited by zice

9 hours ago, zice said:

Short clicking them does nothing apparently.

A quick press of the increase/decrease switch will adjust the speed on my car by 1kph. However, it is very gradual, perhaps 3 to 5 seconds depending on the road incline.

On 2017-6-12 at 20:51, TheRobinK said:

A quick press of the increase/decrease switch will adjust the speed on my car by 1kph. However, it is very gradual, perhaps 3 to 5 seconds depending on the road incline.

Yep, exact behavior on mine as well.

On 2017-6-12 at 23:33, 26DIPP said:

Look at this Youtube video

When you switch cruise control on you can get this display but only if activated as discribed above..

Ah, i see. Well, since i use the digital speedometer all the time, i don't see the value of replacing total KM with CC speed when activated. At least for me.

Thanks!