What annoyed you today?

Aspman

Travelling back to East Anglia from the West Midlands this morning on the M6 and A14 in absolutely diabolical weather conditions (very heavy rain, standing water, spray and visibility less than 200m in places), there were some cars that had no lights on.  Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, TheITGuy said:

Travelling back to East Anglia from the West Midlands this morning on the M6 and A14 in absolutely diabolical weather conditions (very heavy rain, standing water, spray and visibility less than 200m in places), there were some cars that had no lights on.  Unbelievable.

but shur turning on their lights wasnt going to help them see in the day time???

please note that is me voicing those idiots' train of thought, not my own views i drive lit up 365 days of the yr regardless of conditions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mac11irl said:

.............i drive lit up 365 days of the yr regardless of conditions.

You know you can get done for that mac .................

('lit up' may have a different meaning for some people ....... high, Lol)

• Haha 2

Loo Roll ..........

Don't you just hate it when the perforations are not all the way across the roll and you end up tearing halfway down the roll...........

Hmm, just me then, Lol.

24 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Don't you just hate it when the perforations are not all the way across the roll and you end up tearing halfway down the roll...........

Works OK if you're half-assed :)

• Haha 3

Had to take my step-Grandson to his Dad's at short notice yesterday, as my Son's clutch has just died (I suspect been killed 🙄) on his Touran.  His Dad lives on a new estate, that my Satnav maps don't know is there, and it was in a dark, unlit area I'm not familiar with.

A clever person would've plugged their phone into the car instead of leaving it in his pocket, and used other maps.  I'm clearly not that person :@

Maps haven't been updated, so are four years old now.  I've just started to look at how to do it as it'll be a first for me, and have realised I can't, at least not without an SD to USB C adaptor.  £39 for an Apple one, or £7.65 from Mr Bezos.

Has anyone updated maps via a Mac/Macbook?  I'm just wondering if there are any things to watch out for, given the fun I had with the hidden media files on the vRS?

Gaz

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

🙄

Has anyone updated maps via a Mac/Macbook?  I'm just wondering if there are any things to watch out for, given the fun I had with the hidden media files on the vrs.

Check out the links in my signature or click on the blue banner at the top of this page. 

• Thanks 1

went for sunday stroll with family as usual, went to a different section of tge woods though, one id broygh the boys to a couple of weeks ago. it was very very muddy...

and arrived back to the car.. 

20221127_121657.thumb.jpg.7f04c37e6761c3ced33b3c2a7a447894.jpg

i know i need 2 fresh rears anyway, but i was waiting to get them and the tracking done after i do the drop links and arb bushes front and rear...

but now, ill be calling for tyres on their own first. 

at least im well practiced at it and it swapped for the full size spare in under 6mins..

• Sad 6

VEHICLE TAX SCAM

Went online to pay vehicle tax and got scammed. Should have known better, but thought I was OK as I had entered the web address from the normal reminder that came in the post. Instead of the official site I got directed to a scam site that looked very much the same after clicking on a link at the top of the search results. My PC always used to go directly to the web addresses that I entered but no longer does this. Maybe I can fix this in the browser settings. The site that I got taken to was vehicleenquiry.uk. On further investigation it seems that they may be allowed to continue operating as they are technically just within the letter of the law despite being deliberately deceptive and misleading. They don't tax the vehicle, but they charge an initial fee of 50p and set up a monthly subscription of £5.95. I believe I have cancelled the subscription by emailing them but may not be able to recover the 50p without going through a dispute procedure with the bank. After calling the bank's fraud department I get the impression that in the eyes of the banks these alleged scammers are treated just like any other client who uses their online payment facilities. In my opinion the banks seem happy to profit from questionable operations of this type and continue to support them. I decided it was wise to accept the inconvenience of cancelling and replacing my card, but pursuing the 50p will not be worth the bother.

• Like 4

Took our two rabbits to the vets today for a check-up and to get their RHD injections...   took about 15 minutes to do both of them at most...   and the cost...£157.   That works out at a rate of about £600 per hour!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Rabbits are Right Hand Drive??

Who knew!

Gaz

Love it 😂

Actually they're more like a bike as the ears make good handlebars...😂

RHD is Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease...   There's two types both fatal and highly contagious so annual jabs are needed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, skomaz said:

Took our two rabbits to the vets today for a check-up and to get their RHD injections...   took about 15 minutes to do both of them at most...   and the cost...£157.   That works out at a rate of about £600 per hour!!!!!!

What Vets charge for medicines is also excessive. A few years ago we had to take our (departed) Westie to a very good nearby vet because of eye infection. Vet sold us some eyedrops. They were exactly the same drops that my wife buys at the local pharmacy. I can't remember actual figures, but the vet charged roughly double what she pays at the pharmacy.

56 minutes ago, OldTrilobite said:

the vet charged roughly double what she pays in prescription tax at the pharmacy.

Correction inline, italic. Being in Scotland, I'd get the eye drops free if they were prescribed for me. In Ingurlundshire, the prescription tax bears no actual relationship to the cost of the drug. For example, you would pay more for prescription paracetamol (£9-35 per prescription) than buying it in the local supermarket(About £4 for 96).

• Groan 1

6 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Correction inline, italic. Being in Scotland, I'd get the eye drops free if they were prescribed for me. In Ingurlundshire, the prescription tax bears no actual relationship to the cost of the drug. For example, you would pay more for prescription paracetamol (£9-35 per prescription) than buying it in the local supermarket(About £4 for 96).

Where did old trilobite say anything about prescription charges?  He merely said 'buys' which implies no prescription - so your 'correction' of his post and Scotshire comment are irrelevant??

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

Done a hill start on a steep hill. Car wouldn't pull away, felt as if the clutch hadn't properly disengaged despite my best efforts trying to (as if the pedal wouldn't come back up, it was weird). Eventually got it moving but the clutch smelled well frazzled. As of this morning, it's biting really high, but not slipping thankfully. Hoping to hell it doesn't get any worse.

To add insult to injury, I've got a drop-link to replace... on the other side this time. At least I can do that job myself.

I am beginning to wonder if this car well and truly hates me. Argh.

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Done a hill start on a steep hill. Car wouldn't pull away, felt as if the clutch hadn't properly disengaged despite my best efforts trying to (as if the pedal wouldn't come back up, it was weird). Eventually got it moving but the clutch smelled well frazzled. As of this morning, it's biting really high, but not slipping thankfully. Hoping to hell it doesn't get any worse.

To add insult to injury, I've got a drop-link to replace... on the other side this time. At least I can do that job myself.

Check the clutch pedal is intact...   They have a habit of breaking at the top above the pivot.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I had a similar sounding issue on a MkI Seat Toledo 1.9SDi. It was a problem with the clutch cable on the clutch side  so I'd start there. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I had a similar sounding issue on a MkI Seat Toledo 1.9SDi. It was a problem with the clutch cable on the clutch side  so I'd start there. 

99% sure every fabia is hydraulic clutch.

I.e self adjusting.

I had a similar problem in my Monte but believe it or not, it only happened when my mother drove it. Clutch would stick down and only release by getting your foot under it and popping it back up. Solved by bleeding the brakes and clutch. Was told some air had gotten into the slave from the reservoir being a bit low.

Alternatively, that car just hates my mother because it only breaks when she drives it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Check the clutch pedal is intact...   They have a habit of breaking at the top above the pivot.

42 minutes ago, @Lee said:

32 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

I.e self adjusting.

I had a similar problem in my Monte but believe it or not, it only happened when my mother drove it. Clutch would stick down and only release by getting your foot under it and popping it back up. Solved by bleeding the brakes and clutch. Was told some air had gotten into the slave from the reservoir being a bit low.

Alternatively, that car just hates my mother because it only breaks when she drives it.

Cheers folks, yous are good 'uns. Will have a mess about when time allows. :)

49 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

I.e self adjusting.

Haha yeah I forgot about that. I only owned one for ten years 😬

Air in the system then possibly.

I'd get it bled.

• Like 1

just spent an hour soaking my front drop link nuts in penetrating fluid and release spray and failing to get 3 out of 4 front link nuts to open! just no go, and the lack of room in the wheel arch not helping!

out of time so had had to put wheels back on so i can go get spud jr from school at 12. 

got 1 farb bush bracket off alright, but again no bloody room to try and get the thing out! do the 2 halves of the metal retainer clip separate at all? because i wasnt risking squeezing it out and then not being able to get the new one in...

at least i managed to get the belly tray reattached enough to hopefully stop it dragging on the road when the front end dips on bumps.

Sent out this morning to the local fish hut for some huss and lemon sole as they'd advertised a good catch.  Go to fish huts, bring back a nice piece of huss and two lemon sole's.

First question: 'Why did you buy such a large bit of huss?'.

Second question: 'Why didn't you buy the cheaper, smaller, lemon sole from the 'bargain' trays?'.

I give up 🙄

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4